Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 04-02-2007, 02:27 AM   #91
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
dexter, yes, it'll be much smoother when viewed on eInk than on an LCD. Also, DO NOT preview it in connect software!!! It resizes the images, destroying the quality. PDFrasterFarian has a 'preview' feature. Use that instead. You can also buy an SD card, put the pdf and lrf on there, walk into a borders or compusa, etc, and try it out on a real life Reader. That is definately the best plan.

"Am sorry to say that but the reader and PDF currently do not walk together
If PDF is a priority number 1 for you then you have to look for anothewr eBook device."
astra_lestat, do you say that after having used pdfrasterfarian? you also say "currently," which means you think things can be improved. do you have ideas?

Last edited by alex_d; 04-02-2007 at 02:31 AM.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:15 AM   #92
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
astra_lestat, do you say that after having used pdfrasterfarian? you also say "currently," which means you think things can be improved. do you have ideas?
Last time I used PDFRasterfarian it produced 2KB files
I gave up after that.

I have a very small hope that one day someone is going to come up with a near perfect solution As they say: hope is the last thing to die.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2007, 05:22 AM   #93
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
astra_lestat, I assume you got the problems with 2.2.1 -- you should have kept 2.1.6, it worked well for most people (some people did have/are having problems with 2.2.1).

If you want, you can try PDFRead, which is eventually going to be merged as PDFRasterFarian 3. It has a very basic GUI, and should work for most people out-of-the box.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:48 AM   #94
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz
astra_lestat, I assume you got the problems with 2.2.1 -- you should have kept 2.1.6, it worked well for most people (some people did have/are having problems with 2.2.1).

If you want, you can try PDFRead, which is eventually going to be merged as PDFRasterFarian 3. It has a very basic GUI, and should work for most people out-of-the box.
I think you are right, and I have downloaded pdf read yesterday I plan to test it over the weekend. Thanks!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:36 AM   #95
alex_d
Addict

I have finally found a third-party program that can do dilation besides AutoImager!

This program is part of the wonderful NetPBM package which unfortunately seems to sit in ImageMagick's shadow yet offers much more powerful functionality in an easier to use interface. It has allowed me to do dilate, simple average-based downsampling*, and even produce pngs with exactly the colors the Sony Reader can display.** Also, images seem to come out much clearer due to better dithering.

In NetPBM I've also discovered an "edge enhancement" filter which seems like it could do a better job than the sharpening filter. This remains to be verified by you guys.

One downside of NetPBM is that it is considerably slower. Sigh. Because of this and also in case you like the sharpening more (and also to let you compare before and after since the sharpening could be put into the new path***), i'll keep the AutoImager/ImageMagick processing path (with the tweak to sharpening that I put into the defunct 2.2.x but never included in the stable 2.1.x series.)

anyway, stay tuned for PDFrasterFarian 2.3.0. I'll release it soon.

now... i still have to add djvu/images support and a goddamn gui (or at least a normal installer... not something that's really needed, but something that would make new users more comfortable).

* the advanced filtering that imagemagick always does and doesn't allow you to turn off results in a blurrier image.
** imagemagick would try to find the four "optimal" colors to create its palette. These colors would often turn out to not be exactly the ones that the Reader uses, resulting in a 2nd round of dithering. netpbm lets me specify the palette explicitly.
*** one annoying thing is that to do a sharpening in netpbm, you have to call like three commands to create intermediate masks and other bs. this is more powerful, but it's much slower and there should be a quick path.
Advert
Old 05-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #96
tuktuk
tuktuk began at the beginning.

Device: Zaurus
Any new developments?
tuktuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #97
telethought
telethought began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E Reader
Does anyone know if pdfrasterfarian has compatability issues with the Vista operating system? I installed version 2.1.6 and when I right-click a pdf file, there is no option popping up to choose pdfrasterfarian. Thanks in advance.
telethought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #98
Marc
Marc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader PRS-500
In order to do the install of PDFrasterFarian on Vista, I had to start an Administrator command prompt by right-clicking on the "Command Prompt" icon and selecting "Run as Administrator".

The install.cmd script does things that require privileges, and they don't work unless you start a privileged command prompt.

That said, while I did get the right-click PDFrasterFarian option, it wouldn't work on my system, complaining that an included component had expired, and I haven't looked at it since.

Last edited by Marc; 05-29-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #99
alex_d
Addict

Also, guys, the latest version is 2.5.x it's available here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10402

my apologies for not updating the OP

also, please ignore the "component had expired" message.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #100
nidecta
nidecta began at the beginning.

Device: Librie & Sony Reader
Question

Does the PDFrasterFarian work to the file of Japanese?thanks
nidecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:14 AM   #101
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidecta View Post
Does the PDFrasterFarian work to the file of Japanese?thanks
yes, because PDFrasterFarian isn't "reading" the PDF. It creates images from it.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:01 AM   #102
warlord
warlord began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
PDFrasterFarian - makes A4/Letter PDFs usable

First time poster that just got my reader in the mail last night!! Help ! Im running vista and i cant install rasterfarian. when i try to install it says access is denied. push any key to continue. Then after i hit any key it takes me to this page from microsoft where it tells me to download "Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)" so i download dotnetfx.exe and installed it. Then i try to install rasterfarian after that and still the same thing happens. Tells me access is denied,and directs me to the same microsoft page again. Pleas help thanks !!

P.s great community here,cant wait to be part of it. Now that i got a reader !!
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #103
warlord
warlord began at the beginning.

I guess no body has encountered this problem before. Sucks for me i guess.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #104
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
It might take a little while for a reply - I've only used Rasterfarian a couple of times and not on Vista. It might also help if you edited your first post to change the thread title to something like "PDF Rasterfarian install problem - Vista."

Sorry that I couldn't help any further than that.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 AM   #105
chaocai
chaocai began at the beginning.

guys, I am new...Had a huge and maybe stupid question:

I downloaded, extracted, and installed RasterFarian v2.5, ran once of the configuration, everything seems fine. When I started to do conversion, I got a windows dialogue error: "PDF Library - Evaluation period expired, please contact pdfsupport@pdf-tools.com"...Am I doing anything wrong, what am I suppose to do. If I click ok, my converted lrf will simply be blank.
chaocai is offline   Reply With Quote