Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Fabe
Dylanologist
Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.Fabe has survived committing the World's Second Greatest Blunder.

Device: none/all/any
Max Optimum File Size

I created a file that is 912 KB in ebup format. It has 170 chapters, about 460,000 words. Is this too large to run smoothly in ereaders and smart phones?

Plus: individual files range from 4 to 24 KB with 14 being about average.

Last edited by Fabe; 10-09-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Fabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #2
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
I don't know of any limit for the overall size of the epub, and the epub spec itself does not impose any file-size limits.

But I do that that ADE based ereaders limit the individual files to 300k (at least the older ones like the Sony's did - don't know if this has changed yet).

So if that epub is one 900+ KB xhtml file, then yes, older ereaders will not be able to open it.

IMHO, it's much better to break out each chapter as individual files, or, if you have small chapters in larger sections, then make each section an individual file.

I don't know of any negative impact from have lots of small files. I'm sure someone here has different ideas though!

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
I don't know of any limit for the overall size of the epub, and the epub spec itself does not impose any file-size limits.

But I do that that ADE based ereaders limit the individual files to 300k (at least the older ones like the Sony's did - don't know if this has changed yet).

So if that epub is one 900+ KB xhtml file, then yes, older ereaders will not be able to open it.

IMHO, it's much better to break out each chapter as individual files, or, if you have small chapters in larger sections, then make each section an individual file.

I don't know of any negative impact from have lots of small files. I'm sure someone here has different ideas though!

Troy
It offends those folks that think every book should just be one huge linear file, with no chapter breaks (ADE based readers start a clean page).
The advantage is, when using the TOC (or link), to change from chapter low to chapter high is just 1 small file load. The other way, the reader has to search the entire file for the anchor point
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabe View Post
I created a file that is 912 KB in ebup format. It has 170 chapters, about 460,000 words. Is this too large to run smoothly in ereaders and smart phones?
For what it is worth I have uploaded an ePub version of Lorna Doone by R.D. Blackmore to the MR library. The original upload contained an HTML file which was 296Kb uncompressed on disk, and several other HTML files. The ePub version would open with ADE and the Sony desktop reader, and on my Cybook Gen3. But it would not open on my Sony PRS650 - all the Sony showed was a File Error message.

I split the 296Kb HTML file into two parts (the largest of which was 264Kb uncompressed on disk) and recompiled the ePub. My Sony reader will now open it.

There have been responses on this forum to the effect that it's the size of the compressed file which counts and that some compression programs are more efficient than others, and that some files compress more easily than others, but I don't know any details.

My practice, for what it is worth, will be to keep uncompressed HTML files less than 264Kb, and check the ePub on my Sony reader before I upload it.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
There have been responses on this forum to the effect that it's the size of the compressed file which counts
It's both, the (old) Sony has a limit of 300 kB uncompressed and 100 kB compressed for individual text files inside an ePUB.

As I said elsewhere I'm not sure if it's "k" for "kilo" (300 × 1000 = 300000 bytes) or "ki" for "kibi" (300 × 1024 = 307200 bytes). If it's the former, then a 296 kiB (296 × 1024 = 303104 bytes) would be too much already.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
My practice, for what it is worth, will be to keep uncompressed HTML files less than 264Kb, and check the ePub on my Sony reader before I upload it.

Regards, Alex
You might wish to consider making each chapter of the book a separate HTML file; this is the standard practice with ePub books. Using small "flows" (separate HTML files) will improve performance on many devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You might wish to consider making each chapter of the book a separate HTML file; this is the standard practice with ePub books. Using small "flows" (separate HTML files) will improve performance on many devices.
I guess I'm just too lazy, Harry. Lorna Doone has 75 smallish chapters. It seemed easier to group them by 10s. The problem was that the last file was chapters 61 to 75. When I made it 61 to 70 and 71 to 75 it worked.

Regards, Alex
Old 10-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's both, the (old) Sony has a limit of 300 kB uncompressed and 100 kB compressed for individual text files inside an ePUB.

As I said elsewhere I'm not sure if it's "k" for "kilo" (300 × 1000 = 300000 bytes) or "ki" for "kibi" (300 × 1024 = 307200 bytes). If it's the former, then a 296 kiB (296 × 1024 = 303104 bytes) would be too much already.
Thanks, Jellby. That makes more sense to me than it did when I first read it. If indeed it is 'kibi' then 300Kb/1024=292kb uncompressed. I still think I'll keep the files <280kb

Regards, Alex