Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
And B&N doesn't *do* repairs except for original purchaser!

Yep. That's right. Unlike Amazon, B&N *refuses* to honor it's warranty for the Nook if the Nook has been given to another person - the warranty *doesn't* transfer.

Now, if you have a car and you sell it before the warranty expires, the warranty transfers. If you have a washing machine that you buy private-party while the warranty is in effect, it transfers. If you buy a friggin *KINDLE* from someone, used, before the warranty has expired, the friggin warranty TRANSFERS!

But not Barnes & Noble. Go figure why it's up for sale.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
You bought a used, broken Nook, correct? Is it screen damage? Because that's not covered under the warranty, no matter who it belongs to now.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Per the website http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/p....asp?PID=30923

"TRANSFERABILITY. You may transfer this agreement to any person by sending written notice to: Service Net, P.O. Box 1411, Jeffersonville, IN 47131-1411."

JF
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would be shocked if that was the case. B&N knows that Nook's are going to be given as gifts and potentially sold while still under the original warrenty. It would be silly for them not to honor the warrenty no matter who is in possession of the Nook.

I would love to see a specific case of B&N not accepting the warrenty and know the circumstances. Perhaps the Nook had been reported stolen or lost and that is why B&N was not willing to replace it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I would be shocked if that was the case. B&N knows that Nook's are going to be given as gifts and potentially sold while still under the original warrenty. It would be silly for them not to honor the warrenty no matter who is in possession of the Nook.

I would love to see a specific case of B&N not accepting the warrenty and know the circumstances. Perhaps the Nook had been reported stolen or lost and that is why B&N was not willing to replace it.
"We don't run a repair service. If you want it repaired, send it to the original owner for repair. And the warranty is now, because you are NOT the original owner, marked as expired."

Yep. That violates all rules of warranty.

Plus, may I remind those who mentioned that I knew it had a broken screen... Amazon has, to date, swapped out for no cost, FIVE broken-screen K2s to me because they were still 'under warranty' even though I bought them used *and* broken - because Amazon uses the industry standard of "It's under warranty until the warranty expires, no matter who 'owns' it."

*AND* Amazon has repaired *one* that turned out to be out-of-warranty for a $135 fee. Too bad Barnes & Noble is too stupid to follow industry practices.

Derek
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
But a broken screen isn't covered by Nook's warranty as that is probably user damage. Only manufacturer defects are covered by the warranty.

Amazon certainly has a *better* warranty than B&N, but B&N never claimed they'd replace broken screens.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedifarfy View Post
Per the website http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/p....asp?PID=30923

"TRANSFERABILITY. You may transfer this agreement to any person by sending written notice to: Service Net, P.O. Box 1411, Jeffersonville, IN 47131-1411."

JF

nice post, you've got to love trolls
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
"We don't run a repair service. If you want it repaired, send it to the original owner for repair. And the warranty is now, because you are NOT the original owner, marked as expired."

Yep. That violates all rules of warranty.

Plus, may I remind those who mentioned that I knew it had a broken screen... Amazon has, to date, swapped out for no cost, FIVE broken-screen K2s to me because they were still 'under warranty' even though I bought them used *and* broken - because Amazon uses the industry standard of "It's under warranty until the warranty expires, no matter who 'owns' it."

*AND* Amazon has repaired *one* that turned out to be out-of-warranty for a $135 fee. Too bad Barnes & Noble is too stupid to follow industry practices.

Derek

Gift receipts of the Nook qualify it as the person entitled to the warranty,

Bought one for my father for Fathers Day and it is all his name.

you broke it and now you are uspset they won't fix it. User defects/abuse are very rarely covered under the manufacturers warranty, ext yes but man,

stop trolling
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Gift receipts of the Nook qualify it as the person entitled to the warranty,

Bought one for my father for Fathers Day and it is all his name.

you broke it and now you are uspset they won't fix it. User defects/abuse are very rarely covered under the manufacturers warranty, ext yes but man,

stop trolling
Waitaminit. I'm not all that concerned with whether I have to pay to have it fixed. Nope. I've got enough money budgeted to pay for a screen repair. (Industry standard runs between $110 - $135.)

What pisses me off is that B&N WON'T repair it for a second (or later) owner. Period. Fee or no fee.

IOW, B&N considers the Nook to be worthless - right out of the gate. It's 'not worth their effort' to provide repair service on a Nook.

Now I've marketed Bookeen Cybook Gen3s... I've researched what it takes to get broken devices bundled and sent back to the OEM for repair/refurbishment. It isn't that difficult. BeBook provides this service, Hanlin does, Bookeen does and so does Amazon. But B&N can't be bothered.

And you claim that my complaining about a disgusting level of customer-no-service is 'trolling'. Mayhap you should reconsider your worldview.

Derek
Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon does not repair the screen. Amazon replaces a broken unit with a refurbished unit. There is no repair involved. This is why they have been known to offer someone whose Kindle is out of warranty a less expensive option to replace that model Kindle, someone posted on Kindle Boards that their K1 screen was broken recently and was offered a replacement for $89. It is a new unit, not a new screen.

Is this a Nook that you bought and broke or did you buy a broken Nook? I ask because you posted on another board that you buy broken e-readers from people on EBay and try and get them repaired.

If you bought a broken Nook, is it not possible that the person who sold you a broken Nook (if this is the case) reported it as broken to B&N and it was not able to get a replacement for free because how the Nook was broken. For example, the original owner dropped the Nook which probably is not covered in the warranty. Since B&N knows that the unit is broken, based on the serial number, and probably how it was broken, based on notes attached to the reported broken Nook, B&N would know that you bought a broken Nook and were trying to get ot replaced when it was not covered by the warranty.

So then you could be complaining because B&N knows that you did not buy the Nook when it was working and are trying to fix a new problem but trying to get a broken Nook you bought on the cheap replaced by a functional unit.

If this is the case then I would say that is a risk that you take.

It is nice that Amazon and others are willing to replace e-readers that are not covered by their warranty, Amazon's warranty specificaally does not cover Kindle's damaged due to accidents. It is not necessary.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 08-11-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just found a broken Nook on eBay and while it's wending its way through the US Postal Service, I'd like to get some feedback on the response/turnaround time for Nook repairs? (Don't bother looking for another just yet, I already grabbed this one for $40.)

Derek

Friends don't let friends buy DRM-locked ebooks!

Is this the broken nook that your got from ebay for $40? I am not sure what is your expectations of buying known broken equipment. Normally these things with known defects are sold "AS IS". If the damage was covered by warranty, the original owner would have gotten it replaced already. The only logical reason that the unit was auctioned out so cheap is because the damage was not covered. You are proabably not a troll but it seems your expectation that the maufacturer should replace at no cost a broken unit that you knowingly get from ebay is highly unrealistic.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
delphidb96
Wizard

Gosh. I am AMAZED at the level of uber-consumerism shown by the Nook owners here at MR. What's that? Nook's broken? Just toss it away!

People, it isn't that hard to replace the e-ink screens. (And yes, ProfCrash, I *get* that Amazon, Bookeen and the rest just swap a refurbished unit for the incoming broken one. But *THEN* they send those back to the OEM manufacturer to *get* them refurbished!)

I guess I'm just going to have to buy a crappy used PRS-505 and swap its e-ink display for the broken one in the Nook. (And I figure that I'll actually *save* money by doing so-it is just that I hate cracking these things open because I somehow always manage to lose a screw or two to the carpet monster.)

To me, it is a matter of good customer relations/service/support vs. *bad* c-r/s/s. Clearly Amazon and the other big boys 'get it' and just as clearly B&N doesn't.

Derek
Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
People, it isn't that hard to replace the e-ink screens. (And yes, ProfCrash, I *get* that Amazon, Bookeen and the rest just swap a refurbished unit for the incoming broken one. But *THEN* they send those back to the OEM manufacturer to *get* them refurbished!)
Amazon has told people whose Kindle's broke outside of warranty that they can buy a similar unit at a cheaper price but that there is no place to repair a Kindle. I have no idea if the rest of the Kindle can be reused but I doubt that Amazon is doing that. If it was that easy then why wouldn't Amazon tell people with broken screens that they can get a new screen swapped in for X dollars?

I get the feeling that what B&N is trying to prevent is people buying broken goods and then trying to make a profit by getting a refurbished or new product and selling it when they get the replacement. So now you know. You spent $40 on a broken Nook that you cannot get replaced for a product that could be resold at a higher price point. Stick to buy broken Kindles and other E-book readers that you know they will replace them.

I am trying to figure out why someone would buy 5 broken Kindles on Ebay and then get them replaced if not for resale or an effort to get a Kindle for $40. More power to you if you can pull that off, and it sounds as if you have. Personally, I think B&N practice makes sense.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Amazon has told people whose Kindle's broke outside of warranty that they can buy a similar unit at a cheaper price but that there is no place to repair a Kindle. I have no idea if the rest of the Kindle can be reused but I doubt that Amazon is doing that. If it was that easy then why wouldn't Amazon tell people with broken screens that they can get a new screen swapped in for X dollars?

I get the feeling that what B&N is trying to prevent is people buying broken goods and then trying to make a profit by getting a refurbished or new product and selling it when they get the replacement. So now you know. You spent $40 on a broken Nook that you cannot get replaced for a product that could be resold at a higher price point. Stick to buy broken Kindles and other E-book readers that you know they will replace them.

I am trying to figure out why someone would buy 5 broken Kindles on Ebay and then get them replaced if not for resale or an effort to get a Kindle for $40. More power to you if you can pull that off, and it sounds as if you have. Personally, I think B&N practice makes sense.
The biggest problem with getting screens (short of buying schlocky, unpopular devices which have the right displays that *aren't* broken and swapping displays) is that the SOLE source of e-ink displays refuses to sell them for 'repairs'. No, I'm not kidding. You can't buy a 6", 8" or 9.7" screen - or even the screen/controller module - for personal use to repair your device. After overcoming that hurdle - say by buying a PRS-505 - the issues you'd face in disassembling the case, separating the cables and swapping screens is quite literally, trivial.

Derek

And again I point out that it must be nice to be so flush with money that throwing away a 'broken' Nook makes sense.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I guess I'm just going to have to buy a crappy used PRS-505 and swap its e-ink display for the broken one in the Nook. (And I figure that I'll actually *save* money by doing so-it is just that I hate cracking these things open because I somehow always manage to lose a screw or two to the carpet monster.)
How well will that work without having the waveform for the screen (or can that somehow be pulled from the 505 and used with the Nook (two different OSes).

Quote:
I'd guess what Amazon does is sell them a refurb unit for about what a screen swap would cost and then takes the unit with the bad screen and sends them in batches back to Foxconn to be refurbished with new screens, etc. This way the customer doesn't have to actually wait the amount of time it takes to actually get the units back from Foxconn plus Amazon doesn't have to really have an actual warranty department that has to keep track of all these individual repairs, and it comes off as good customer service for folks to not have to wait. Good CS is something Amazon is generally known for.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote