Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2006, 03:09 AM   #46
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Yes, sorry, it was me, when I went to update my s/n, I noticed you were missing from the Hall of Fame.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:34 AM   #47
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
thanks, Ela.
maybe i should print one of those "and all i got was this lousy t-shirt".

i bought an iliad
i hacked an iliad
i bricked an iliad
and all i got was this lousy t-shirt.
(and an entry in the hall of fame)

Unfortunately i'll be more or less absent for the next few days (important exam next week tuesday).
Things i expect to be up and running until i'm back:
- fbreader compiled with the new toolchain
- hid module for the kernel
- the root password
- ssh daemon for 2.5
- a way to flash iliads using CF, SD or USB

so long, and thanks for all the fish =)
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2006, 03:57 AM   #48
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
LOL!

Thanks for reminding me I have to read the Hitchhiker again, on the iLiad, it'll be a great experience.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:02 AM   #49
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
(important exam next week tuesday).
So your subconscient responsability forgot the & in the rc.d thing in order to drive you into the exam. Have luck!
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:52 AM   #50
LittleTalker
Connoisseur
LittleTalker began at the beginning.

Is the hack supposed to work with yesterday's update? I tried and it didn't work for me.

Last edited by LittleTalker; 07-26-2006 at 06:57 AM.
LittleTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #51
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

I am afraid it is not working anymore. I have tryed to go step by step across the flashing of the software but is seems they have altered the upgrade procedure and I have gone into the full install too. So now I am as trapped as the rest of 2.5 people are.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:03 AM   #52
arivero
Guru

Hmm STUPID!!!! I can not edit the linuxrc install file, it is in a readonly filesystem event if it seems a read/write! So my edits have not survived.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:05 AM   #53
LittleTalker
Connoisseur
LittleTalker began at the beginning.

It kinda pisses me off that the iLiad can have internet connection and they deliberately cripple it. Having a wireless connection just for IDS is plain stupid.
LittleTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #54
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTalker
It kinda pisses me off that the iLiad can have internet connection and they deliberately cripple it. Having a wireless connection just for IDS is plain stupid.
Yes it is.

Stick to 2.4 then? There is not way back :-(

also, the configuration file is wrote again, so the shell execution hack did not work neither.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 AM   #55
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
actually everything in /etc/ got rewritten. All the files i put there are gone

/EDIT: probably they rewrite tho whole /mnt/protected

Last edited by tribble; 07-26-2006 at 07:59 AM.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #56
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Things i expect to be up and running until i'm back: [...]
No problem. Just buy a handful of care&repair vouchers and they'll hire a few programmers. (let's say 20k euros worth of care&repair for a start)
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:27 AM   #57
DHer
Addict

Update:

i will buy care&repair vouchers, but only enough to restore my iliad.

just received the mail:

Quote:
You may contact our help desk to open a ticket for repair.
They have been instructed how to proceed.

Expected repair costs are between 75 to 100E. You will be instructed to purchase vouchers for that amount at the shop.
the bright side: i'll have an working iliad again (yeah!)
the not so bright side: they most probably will install v2.5

i'll keep you informed.

@ali:

You think compiling fbreader and an kernel module would cost iRex 20k€?
That's about 100 hours with a 200€/hour contractor.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:41 AM   #58
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
I wanna know why they havn't even sent me the da**ed ticket number so I can sort mine out.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #59
DHer
Addict

Update 2:

Quote:
In the next few days you will receive a transport box, a return label and shipping instructions.

Please read the shipping instructions carefully and follow the steps and details provided.

The estimated costs for the repair of your iLiad will be 75,- €. as it is out of warranty.
Now it's official: Hacking your Iliad voids your warranty.

if you want to get my t-shirt: http://iliad.spreadshirt.net/

Last edited by DHer; 07-28-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #60
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Now it's official: Hacking your Iliad voids your warranty.
It was to be expected. But then again, now we have a pretty good idea what the worst damage would be in monetary terms when one bricks his iLiad.

Btw, I love your t-shirt
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote