Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 AM   #1
ayman07
Ayman
ayman07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle doesnt show little dots that represent chapters tho I have a TOC

hi everyone. sorry if this has been said over and over again but i just cant seem to find what i need from searching. i have a K2 and i have a book that is in PDF. i went on adobe pro 9 and created bookmarks for every chapter. i used calibre to try and convert. while it did the job, the kindle still doesnt show the little dots at the bottom of the screen. these tell you how much longer you have till the next chapter. if ur reading a long book, its nice to visually see progress not just percentage. any way of accomplishing this?
ayman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayman07 View Post
hi everyone. sorry if this has been said over and over again but i just cant seem to find what i need from searching. i have a K2 and i have a book that is in PDF. i went on adobe pro 9 and created bookmarks for every chapter. i used calibre to try and convert. while it did the job, the kindle still doesnt show the little dots at the bottom of the screen. these tell you how much longer you have till the next chapter. if ur reading a long book, its nice to visually see progress not just percentage. any way of accomplishing this?
Well, none of the Kindles recognize Adobe PDF bookmarks. So, at this point I would say no. Unless there is a patch of some kind in Calibre that takes the PDF bookmarks and makes them into a new kind of data that the Kindle can read.

Unfortunately, the only way I can think to make a PDF really Kindle compatible (with bookmarks and other goodies), would be to OCR the thing, and then copy the text into HTML and then convert from there.

It would suck, but I know of no shortcuts. And, if anyone does know of one, I'd love to hear about it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayman07 View Post
i used calibre to try and convert. while it did the job, the kindle still doesnt show the little dots at the bottom of the screen. these tell you how much longer you have till the next chapter.
Did you use the beta 0.6.0 version of Calibre? This is the one that implements the "waypoints" you are looking for.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
ayman07
Ayman

I appreciate the responses. Yes I am using the latest and greatest calibre. Where would I find this "waypoint" builder and how exactly does it work? I need to correct myself, I don't have a TOC but the book is indexed so you can jump from chapter to chapter on my mac but there is no TOC persay. Is This okay? I don't have my mac in front of me so I can't check it out know but if someone has a set of instructions I would appreciate it. Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I think it is automatic if you have a TOC (and probably unavailable without a TOC). From New features in calibre 0.6:
Quote:
MOBI Output: Support for indexing. This allows calibre generated MOBI files to be used with the joystick and other navigational features of the Kindle 2
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
ayman07
Ayman

Ok so here is the game plan then. After I indexed the PDF it didn't give me a TOC until I exported it to HTML. So after I exported it to HTML I saw the TOC. So my next movie is to convert that HTML to PDF (very easy on mac). After that I open my PDF back in adobe and link each line of the TOC (meaning the chapters ONE, TWO,etc) to it's corresponding page/chapter. Then once that's all set I save the modified PDF and use it in calibre. This should automatically detect the TOC in the front page and make waypoints for each chapter. Right? That's the only way I know to make a functioning TOC in adobe. I'll try it. Hope it works!! I'll keep this thread posted.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You wont get a TOC with or waypoints with PDF files. Convert the PDF to html and then convert the HTML to MOBI with calibre 0.6 to get a TOC and waypoints. You will have to use calibre's TOC detection options to generate the TOC from the HTML
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
ayman07
Ayman

@kovidgoyal

I did exactly what you said. I exported my PDF in Adobe Pro 9 to HTML. I then loaded the book into Calibre. Here are the settings I chose:

and i exported it to .MOBI directly to my kindle and now i have a full functioning TOC on my kindle but still no waypoints
what did i do wrong?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What version of calibre are you using?
Old 06-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
ayman07
Ayman

guys I am SO SORRY! I made a mistake. I was on 0.5.14, I thought I was on the latest 0.6 but I didnt know it was a beta. I downloaded it directly from the site. I apologize.

I went ahead and installed version .06b8 and when I try to convert this specific book I get this error:

Convert book 1 of 1 (u'The Kite Runner')
Processing archive...
InputFormatPlugin: HTML Input running on /var/folders/OF/OFrE7AQHHKeE59umq6hvLU+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.6.0b8_UNHxfn_plumber/content.opf
Parsing all content...
Language not specified
Manifest item 'toc.ncx' not found
Parsing The%20Kite%20Runner.html ...
Generating default TOC from spine...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Auto generated TOC with 0 entries.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/console.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 90, in main
File "calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.pyo", line 17, in gui_convert
File "calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.pyo", line 640, in run
File "calibre/ebooks/oeb/transforms/jacket.pyo", line 95, in __call__
File "calibre/ebooks/oeb/transforms/jacket.pyo", line 46, in remove_first_image
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 1325, in lxml.etree._Element.xpath (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:14585)
File "xpath.pxi", line 278, in lxml.etree.XPathElementEvaluator.__call__ (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:90212)
File "xpath.pxi", line 82, in lxml.etree._XPathContext.registerVariables (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:88426)
File "extensions.pxi", line 484, in lxml.etree._wrapXPathObject (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:86093)
lxml.etree.XPathResultError: Unknown return type: dict

If I can get past this part, Ill be able to see if the waypoints work. Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

that's an interesting error message you can probably temporarily work around it by deselecting the remove first image option, but I would appreciate it if you could open a ticket and attach the html file causing this error.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
ayman07
Ayman

i created a new ticket and attached the file as you said. I was able to bypass the error by removing the "remove first page" option. I synced the book and still no waypoints. TOC works perfectly, but thats not really what I want the most, i gotta have my waypoints what can i do now?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

By clicking on the hourglass you can get the conversion log, post it here.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #14
ayman07
Ayman

here is the log:

Convert book 1 of 1 (u'The Kite Runner')
InputFormatPlugin: HTML Input running on /Users/Ayman/Documents/eBooks/Khaled Hosseini/The Kite Runner (14)/The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini.html
Language not specified
Creator not specified
Title not specified
Building file list...
Found files...
HTMLFile:0:a:/Users/Ayman/Documents/eBooks/Khaled Hosseini/The Kite Runner (14)/The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini.html
HTMLFile:1:a:/Users/Ayman/Desktop/The Kite Runner.html
Parsing The%20Kite%20Runner%20-%20Khaled%20Hosseini.html ...
Parsing file u'The%20Kite%20Runner%20-%20Khaled%20Hosseini.html' as HTML
Parsing The%20Kite%20Runner.html ...
Parsing file u'The%20Kite%20Runner.html' as HTML
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Property: Invalid value for "CSS Level 2.1" property: 13px Courier New [4:44: font]
Property: Invalid value for "CSS Level 2.1" property: 13px Courier New [4:44: font]
Source base font size is 5.55651pt
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...

Creating MOBI Output...
Applying case-transforming CSS...
Parsing manglecase.css ...
Rasterizing SVG images...
Converting XHTML to Mobipocket markup...
Serializing markup content...
Compressing markup content...
Generating CTOC ...
Serializing images...
MOBI output written to /var/folders/OF/OFrE7AQHHKeE59umq6hvLU+++TI/-Tmp-/calibre_0.6.0b8_DJEYKl.mobi

The settings I chose are these:
-remove spacing between paragraphs
-(grayed with a check mark) no text justification
-page setup for kindle
-force use of auto-generated TOC

thats it. everything else is default.

Last edited by ayman07; 06-20-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The line

is the clue. You need to adjust the TOC detection options to make sure a proper auto generated TOC is created