Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #76
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsebs View Post
I noticed that too (on the Tech Specs page); however, the FAQ & Support page doesn't include MOBI:

6. What file formats does Kobo Aura HD support?
EPUB, PDF, JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, TXT, HTML, RFT (RTF?), CBZ, and CBR.

I sent an e-mail to their Customer Care asking for clarification. I'll post their answer, if I get one.
Actually, mobi support never went away. For some reason, it wasn't mentioned in the specs for the Glo, but the Glo did support them. But, it isn't perfect. They have to be DRM free and it doesn't support the latest versions. It is much better to convert to epub and use that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #77
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
On Kobo's current readers adjustments to font style, size, weight, sharpness, and to line spacing, margin size, text justifiation all work on both kepubs and sideloaded epubs. Some epubs are formatted in a way that prevents some things working (such as forcing a fixed line spacing), but if necessary that can be fixed by tweaking the .css stylesheet before sideloading the book.
Thanks Geoff.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #78
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Oooh me want! But I'll have to wait until it shows up on ebay, as usual.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #79
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Freescale makes *many* different CPU's, so again you are assuming it is the same one.

For discussions sake, lets say it is the same CPU subfamily. Then I would assume it uses newer technology since it is 6 months younger. Of course, that is just my assumption, since the Aura has to push twice as many pixels as the Glo, and a 25% increase in CPU clock speed probably wouldn't result in 'faster page turns'.
I've noticed it's page turn speeds are being compared to the Touch in various places (just one example 'cos I happen to have it open; too lazy to browse my history for the other refernces), which would definitely cover that 25% cited increase in page turn speed (most places just cite the number against other ereaders - but not specific ereaders).

EDIT: Frankly, until I see a comparison video with an Aura HD and a Glo, both set to refresh on every page, I'm just going to assume that it's either just marketing hype or shennanigans (by comparing its speeds to the Touch or other previous-generation ereader instead of the Glo).

Last edited by JD Gumby; 04-16-2013 at 11:23 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #80
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
The various reports on the Aura's announcement are saying it's a Freescale and we know it's 1GHz - and the Glo's a 1GHz Freescale (the Touch is a Freescale, as well, though I can't remember if it's 600MHz or 800MHz). So, unless it's a newer generation of Freescale CPU that gets more work out of each clock cycle, it should perform a bit worse than the Glo due to the higher resolution and larger screen size.
I don't think the screen will matter at all. Today's phones can drive a 1080p screen at 60Hz (16ms refresh rates). That's at least 1 order of magnitude faster than eInk, so there's no reason to assume page turns will be slower simply because the screen has more pixels, the bandwidth required to refresh the screen at such low refresh rates couldn't overwhelm the simplest of mobile GPUs in today's mobile chipsets.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #81
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I don't think the screen will matter at all. Today's phones can drive a 1080p screen at 60Hz (16ms refresh rates). That's at least 1 order of magnitude faster than eInk, so there's no reason to assume page turns will be slower simply because the screen has more pixels, the bandwidth required to refresh the screen at such low refresh rates couldn't overwhelm the simplest of mobile GPUs in today's mobile chipsets.
It was my understanding that GPU is not involved at all in eInk display handling. If I am not mistaken, most of the linux based readers use frame buffer, manipulating the pixels directly from the software.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
It was my understanding that GPU is not involved at all in eInk display handling. If I am not mistaken, most of the linux based readers use frame buffer, manipulating the pixels directly from the software.
There is a screen controller that is used to drive the screen. Maybe that's been improved and is able to handle the increased resolution better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #83
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
On the other hand, the utilization of the CPU on eInk reader is sporadic in book reading mode (peaks when a new page needs to be rendered, long periods of inactivity while the user reads the page) and it is possible (but neither easy nor trivial) to write a software so that it renders a page, or few, in advance.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #84
HardwareLust
HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.HardwareLust knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Nook Color/Tablet, Kobo Aura HD/Mini, Kindle Paperwhite
I already pre-ordered mine.

I'll keep my Nexus 7 for magazines, PDF's, media and general web shenanigans.

Anyone in the market for a gently used Sony PRS-950, Nook Color or Nook Tablet?

Did they announce any cases or sleeves for it yet?

Last edited by HardwareLust; 04-16-2013 at 02:59 PM.
HardwareLust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #85
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I haven't seen the official case myself, but the other thread about the reader in the Kobo section says the case is contoured to fit the back. I was wondering how they were going to make any type of a case for it, but seems they did it nicely.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #86
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
They explain that at their web page

Quote:
Carry your Kobo Aura HD in style

Wrap your Kobo Aura HD in one of our elegant, protective covers. The ultra-thin, lightweight Kobo SleepCover turns your Kobo Aura HD on and off as you open and close the cover. The Leather Folio encases Kobo Aura HD and features an interior pocket. Both come in luxurious, full-grain leather and a choice of colours to fit your personal style.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #87
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Two accessories are listed on their web site Kobo Aura HD Accessories

Kobo Aura HD - Leather Folio for $39.99 Available in Onyx

Kobo Aura HD - SleepCover $49.99 Available in Onyx and Espresso
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #88
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
A little insight on how the design was created:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdpjaSn9w6w
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #89
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Two accessories are listed on their web site Kobo Aura HD Accessories

Kobo Aura HD - Leather Folio for $39.99 Available in Onyx

Kobo Aura HD - SleepCover $49.99 Available in Onyx and Espresso
Thanks for the link. Both covers look very, very snazzy. The temptation to preorder is growing by the minute, I already tried to rationalize it to my husband, who doesn't want to orphan our other ebook readers.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #90
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I've been a dedicated Sony user since the PRS-505. This is the first time I've seriously considered another brand. I am reading about others experiences with the software before I decide whether to pre-order to wait to see one in person/read reviews. May go to a store and try out the software on the Glo and/or Touch to help me make a more informed decision.

My 650 has been working great for 2+ years but this is the longest I've gone between purchasing ebook readers. Wanted to wait to see what Sony will bring to the table in the next few months but suspect I will probably be underwhelmed with their next offering.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote