Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #61
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If I look at

http://www.buymedge.com/p_cybook_gleather.HTML

the outside looks kind like the outside on the brown cover. So is it leather on the outside?

It says:

Quote:
Material: 100% genuine leather exterior with suede interior.
So it is genuine leather. And for a company that is specialized in covers I would presume that they are not mistaking.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 AM   #62
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
So it is genuine leather. And for a company that is specialized in covers I would presume that they are not mistaking.
I would belive them as well. They always says what type of material on the inside and outside.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborg View Post
Harry, its simple. You can't advertise something as being an all leather product, and not just any leather mind you but italian leather etc etc... thereby making a feature of the fact that this is an exclusive product at a competitive price and in that process essentially duping the customer into thinking it is something it is when clearly it is not. Price here is wholly irrelevant.
Perhaps you feel differently, but to my mind the case is a "premium product". It's beautifully made and stitched. Would you rather that they removed the outer vinyl padding just so that it was then "all leather"?

I agree 100% that products should (and indeed must by law) be advertised honestly, but if Bookeen were unaware of the fact that it wasn't "all leather" then they can hardly be blamed for it, can they?

If you're not happy with your cover, I'm sure that Bookeen will refund your money, given that it doesn't match the stated specification. Personally speaking, I'm delighted with my cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #64
weareborg
weareborg began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia E90, Nokia 770, Nokia N95, Cybook Gen 3
Harry, haven't received my case as it didn't ship with original order and I'm a bit miffed. Don't mind me.
With regard to Bookeen being unaware and consequently not at fault doesn't wash with me though as they are ultimately responsible for their product. They would have been shipped numerous samples early on and would have requested and received the materials (leather, to match their florid description) from the out-sourced company at the design stage, so, to turn around and feign surprise and indignation at the materials used once they are being shipped is not exactly fair to our sensibilities.. unless they all collectively boxed and shipped the cases with their eyes closed

Having said all that (and please bear in mind I am having a bad day at work ) I love my CyBook e-reader and cannot wait for it to get the protection it deserves.
weareborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
With regard to Bookeen being unaware and consequently not at fault doesn't wash with me though as they are ultimately responsible for their product. They would have been shipped numerous samples early on and would have requested and received the materials (leather, to match their florid description) from the out-sourced company at the design stage, so, to turn around and feign surprise and indignation at the materials used once they are being shipped is not exactly fair to our sensibilities.. unless they all collectively boxed and shipped the cases with their eyes closed
With respect, though, the fact that the outside is not leather is not obvious. Nobody here realised it for months. To my untrained eye (and nose) it looks, feels, and smells like leather. The whole of the inside of the case is leather - the only part that's not is the outer "padding" of the case.
Advert
Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #66
weareborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With respect, though, the fact that the outside is not leather is not obvious. Nobody here realised it for months. To my untrained eye (and nose) it looks, feels, and smells like leather. The whole of the inside of the case is leather - the only part that's not is the outer "padding" of the case.
Duly noted, I will reserve judgment until I receive my cover.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #67
julia
Connoisseur
julia began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, kindle2, nook glow
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
It says:

bookeen shipped the m-edge to me first before changing it into their own (not completely leather) case. the m-edge (at least the black one i got then) was genuine leather inside out.
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:39 PM   #68
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by julia View Post
bookeen shipped the m-edge to me first before changing it into their own (not completely leather) case. the m-edge (at least the black one i got then) was genuine leather inside out.
The black case is not an m-edge cover as far as i know. Those black cases were test designs for a new cover. They are supposed to be of much better quality than the standard brown ones. I do not know, if these will be mass produced or not.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #69
weareborg

Well, I received my Bookeen cover today and, while well made, is certainly not leather.
These are most likely their second (?) or "Post-Christmas" batch of covers.
It does not feel or smell like leather, either inside or out. I had 6 people in the office check it independently and all returned a verdict of "Not Leather". They are, like myself, no experts of course but we've all smelled leather before...

Regardless, it is a nice cover, a much needed cover, and essentially a well made cover.

It is, however, overpriced as an accessory and I'm now a little bemused, as I opted for, and bought the cover well before Christmas based on a different description.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, I received my Bookeen cover today and, while well made, is certainly not leather.
These are most likely their second (?) or "Post-Christmas" batch of covers.
It does not feel or smell like leather, either inside or out. I had 6 people in the office check it independently and all returned a verdict of "Not Leather". They are, like myself, no experts of course but we've all smelled leather before...
Sounds as though you have a different cover to mine. The inside of mine - the insert that the Gen3 actually fits into - is unquestionably leather on mine, as is the inside of the case. It's only the outside that's not.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:08 AM   #71
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Sounds as though you have a different cover to mine. The inside of mine - the insert that the Gen3 actually fits into - is unquestionably leather on mine, as is the inside of the case. It's only the outside that's not.
Same here.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #72
weareborg

Excuse the pun but that is no longer the case.
Can anyone else confirm?
Other than the fact that we know original or earlier Bookeen cases had leather on them...
Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Here's a (not very good) picture of the inside and outside of mine. Note the colour difference - everything you can see on the inside is leather. The lighter outside is vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_inside.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	9480   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover_outside.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	9481  
Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 AM   #74
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
That's the one (Harry's) I got as well; bought it recently via ebookreaders.nl
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #75
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Here's a (not very good) picture of the inside and outside of mine. Note the colour difference - everything you can see on the inside is leather. The lighter outside is vinyl.
Yours looks better than mine. The stitching on mine is far from straight. Also, your directional button is in the middle, mine is almost at the top. The hole for the directional button on my cover is not straight. I think they rushed the production for the covers when they ran out.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote