Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
bbedit puts the cursor after the replaced text. must be a Mac thing since I don't think any of the listed examples run on os x.
Is that how the previous Sigil S&R engine worked on OS X, as well then?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-16-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #62
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
I see what you mean. I was just listing what it appeared to be doing for me, not whether this was 'normal'. Testing MS Word shows it works as DiapDealer states.

I can see why it works as it does (I can't remember how it worked before). The button is labelled Replace Next (tooltip in the current source) - so it does exactly what it says, it replaces the next occurrence. Just like Find Next finds the next occurrence. Being able to see what was just replaced is a good thing - you get to verify it really does look ok without having to scroll back to see if its what was expected.

But if the 'standard' way of doing Replace is to a) If the highlighted text is not the text we're looking for then jump to and highlight the next occurrence, or b) If the highlighted text is the text we're looking for then replace the current highlighted text and highlight the next occurrence - then I can see this working too since it gives you a chance to see what you will replace. But no chance to see what it changes to (unless you change the b rule to just leave the cursor at the end of the replaced text - though if this is non-standard it might be confusing too).

If the 'standard' way is used, then I wonder if Next/Previous should be used. In fact, does anyone use Find Previous, or especially Replace Previous? I'm sure there are cases for it, but I know I generally just do Find forward with wrap-around (perhaps after being warned that the end is reached, should it start over so you don't keep looping forever), and trying to aim the cursor to select the right arrow can be a bit fiddly.

I'm going to have to re-install the older Sigil to see how it does it.

(in source I see the F&R close down arrow is now a close button - but its jumped to the other side? and looks different than the book browser close button) (I think my next post might have to say something nice instead of a complaint )
Advert
Old 12-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #63
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
(in source I see the F&R close down arrow is now a close button - but its jumped to the other side? and looks different than the book browser close button) (I think my next post might have to say something nice instead of a complaint )
I moved it to the other side because most other similar widgets (Firefox for example) have the close button on the left. As for it looking different than the book browser, that icon is provided by Qt for dockable widgets which F&R is not.

I originally had F&R be a dock widget but I ran into sizing issues I couldn't get sorted out.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #64
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I moved it to the other side because most other similar widgets (Firefox for example) have the close button on the left. As for it looking different than the book browser, that icon is provided by Qt for dockable widgets which F&R is not.

I originally had F&R be a dock widget but I ran into sizing issues I couldn't get sorted out.
Yep, there's always something. I've always seen it on the right (Chromium) but I see Firefox does have it on the left (though not in red which might have been what caught my eye), but in the end this is a bit trivial.

Checking the previous version of Sigil, I find that it behaves as DiapDealer indicated - highlight and wait until Replace is hit. It would probably be good to stay consistent with the old behaviour. I also see the old F&R had a bewildering set of options so the new version is much better. Keeping a previous/next doesn't seem so bad in context
Old 12-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #65
meme
Sigil developer

Using Compiled Source doing a Count or Replace generates warning messages in the command line window (Ubuntu 11.10) although the text in the window looks ok, e.g.

Warning: QString::arg: Argument missing: "1224 match(es) were found." , 1224

Warning: QString::arg: Argument missing: "The search term was replaced 81 time(s)." , 81

Oh, I'm actually running on Ubuntu 11.10 and I do have Qt 4.7.4 installed according to the cmake output. But my right menu is still odd, so I still have some searching to do to find out what's going on.
Advert
Old 12-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #66
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Locking this thread as I've opened a new one for 0.4.903
Closed Thread