Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
mknepper
mknepper began at the beginning.

Device: none
Looking for iBooks-ish Android app

Hi everyone,

I do a lot of epub production work and am looking for an Android ereading app that treats images the same way iBooks on iOS does. Specifically, in iBooks, an image can be a very large size (up to 2 million pixels, per Apple's requirements) but it will automatically scale down to fit the screen during regular reading. This is NOT how, for example, Adobe Digital Editions treats images—in ADE the image will be it's native size and stretch well off the screen, being mostly unviewable. The advantage to the large image sizes (and more importantly resolutions) in the files viewed in iBooks is that in iBooks you can double tap the image, which brings up the image by itself, and then pinch zoom. Things like detailed maps will be legible at high zoom levels if the native image file is larger.

I haven't found any Android ereading apps that allow for this same pinch-zoom feature of images in epub files, but I've only really tried Aldiko and Overdrive. I can't use apps like B&N Nook, Kobo, or Sony because I can't load my own epubs onto my phone and open them in those apps—it seems they only open books bought through those stores. I'm not sure if those apps would even do this anyways. To test files in iBooks, I upload the epub file to a dropbox account on my PC, then on the iPad I can download the epub file with the dropbox app, which does not recognize the file itself but offers a "View in iBooks?" option. This Android app I'm looking for would have to be able to do something similar (dropbox would be preferred, but not required—I just need a simple, free way of getting the file from a PC into an app on my phone).

Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: Posted to Twitter and I'm told no such app exists. Shame. Oh well.

Last edited by mknepper; 10-14-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Question answered
mknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Have you seen some of the other ebook apps listed in the The Big List of Android eBook Reader Apps thread?

You can definitely sideload epub's with the Nook app by putting your ebooks in the 'MyDocuments' folder within the 'Nook' folder on the sd card. It unfortunately requires a fixed location, which may differ from your usual storage place used for your ebooks, and therefore causing duplicates to be stored.

I haven't used many of the Android ebook apps, but do like coolreader; it's very customizable and is even open-sourced...

Explore them at your leisure!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert