Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Library size 'limits'

So this may not be anything new to some of you here, but I discovered that some books in my library are not showing up in my Voyage's 'ALL' view, which shows 1152 items when filtered on 'MY BOOKS'. I'm unable to see the first books I purchased back in 2009; they do not show up with Search, they don't show up in collections, and if I go to the Kindle Store listing it as button with VIEW IN LIBRARY instead of BUY. But it does not show up there. I have to go to Manage Your Content and Devices, and Send it to my Voyage from there, which 'works'. But when I remove this content, it shows Delete from Device instead of Remove from Device, and prompts 'are you sure?', as if it were not in the cloud, but side-loaded. I have plenty of available storage space.

On my 8th gen Kindle, 1203 items appear (which seems to be a complete view).

Both are running the latest firmware release (5.8.9). I got my Voyage after my 8th gen Kindle.

So this is annoying. Has anybody run into this issue and had success in correcting it?

Last edited by tomsem; 04-30-2017 at 08:09 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
So this may not be anything new to some of you here, but I discovered that some books in my library are not showing up in my Voyage's 'ALL' view, which shows 1152 items when filtered on 'MY BOOKS'. I'm unable to see the first books I purchased back in 2009; they do not show up with Search, they don't show up in collections, and if I go to the Kindle Store listing it as button with VIEW IN LIBRARY instead of BUY. But it does not show up there. I have to go to Manage Your Content and Devices, and Send it to my Voyage from there, which 'works'. But when I remove this content, it shows Delete from Device instead of Remove from Device, and prompts 'are you sure?', as if it were not in the cloud, but side-loaded. I have plenty of available storage space.

On my 8th gen Kindle, 1203 items appear (which seems to be a complete view).

Both are running the latest firmware release (5.8.9). I got my Voyage after my 8th gen Kindle.

So this is annoying. Has anybody run into this issue and had success in correcting it?
Yes, I have run into that problem. Success in correcting it, no.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I fixed it.

First, I tried deleting some items from my Library (expired Borrows, crap I got for free and didn't want in there anymore). It made no difference: I still could not see items purchased prior to a particular book I bought in 2010. All that happened is that deleted items purchased after that date no longer showed up. So now I saw even fewer items!

So I did a Reset, after creating a new collection consisting of the 90 or so items I had on the device, so I could restore them (or some subset thereof) more easily afterwards.

After going through First Use, wifi setup, re-registering etc., my entire library shows up as expected. A bit of a pain but it did not seem that anything short of that was going to work.

I don't think unregistering and reregistering alone would have worked, since doing that doesn't wipe any local data. But I did not try that.

It is taking awhile to index everything, perhaps a minute or two each.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-01-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't understand why people put over a thousand books on a slow-mo device. Even if you read a book a day that is three years worth of books. You are not going to be able to do any serious research with such a processor challenged device that sucks big time at highlighting and taking notes. Seems like it makes way more sense to keep the number of books down to a few dozen or less. Heck, I seriously doubt you will ever read all of those books, and if you do it will take longer to do so than that Kindle will last.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
I agree with your point(s).

But a small nit-pick:
The books are not "all on the Kindle" with the newer softwares.
They are on your account cloud and only the titles (and/or covers) are on the Kindle.
They download when selected and the "on Kindle" copy can be removed from the Kindle when done (or done temporarily).

The indices remain on the Kindle, even when the book is removed locally.
So you will not have to wait for the item to index, next time you make a local copy on the Kindle of a cloud resident item.

But I do understand why people say:
"on the Kindle"
even when they know better because it is a lot shorter and easier to write.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't understand why people put over a thousand books on a slow-mo device. Even if you read a book a day that is three years worth of books. You are not going to be able to do any serious research with such a processor challenged device that sucks big time at highlighting and taking notes. Seems like it makes way more sense to keep the number of books down to a few dozen or less. Heck, I seriously doubt you will ever read all of those books, and if you do it will take longer to do so than that Kindle will last.
If you read more carefully, I did not (and never have had) anything close to 1000 books on my Kindle. And I have no desire to do that. I just want to be able to access whatever is in the cloud, and could not do that due to some issue.

As for highlighting and performance, one should delete My Clippings from time to time, or it will grow and get slow. Wish there were a preference to stop creating My Clippings in the first place. Since the Note Export feature has existed I have no need of it (and had little need of it before Note Export).
Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My K3 did the same thing. So I got another K3 thinking I could Divide my collection on to 2 Kindles! By the time I got thru adding the Last 5 e-books it did it again! Removed them it was fine ugh Some one said they must have been Stuck on indexing! So go back and take Off only the ones you added Last when the problem happened... Then Add them 1 at a time when its done indexing add another!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Well, I keep all my books on my kindle, except for the few I didn't like and would have tossed if they were paper books. I never use wifi so my archive is empty and I don't want to use it. My 1000+ books are organized into 11 pages of collections by author which I can't do with my archive. So when I'm looking over my collections to see what I want to read next I only have 11 pages to browse through instead of over 100. I also never use search or highlighting or notes so I don't care if those would be slower. If I could I would disable indexing entirely as I have no use for it. I would also disable most if the so called features like notes, xray, ect. I just want to read and have a simple way to organize my books in the way it makes it easy for me to find the one I want. NOT searching, I don't DO search, besides mostly I don't know what I'm looking for before I find it. Who remembers names or titles anyway? If they were all in the cloud if I wanted to read some specific book I would have to wait until I got home and transferred it over from Calibre. That would be a pain.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I don't DO search, besides mostly I don't know what I'm looking for before I find it. Who remembers names or titles anyway?
I do. I currently have 1875 books on my Voyage, and could name 95% of the authors. I don't use collections.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I do. I currently have 1875 books on my Voyage, and could name 95% of the authors. I don't use collections.
Same. I have just over 4,000 books on my Aura HD and can tell you pretty much everything that's on there (maybe not every exact title, but authors & series). I find what I'm looking for at any give time by doing a simple search by author, title or series name.

Well, I do have one collection which is called Read 2017 where I add books after I've read them so I can add them to a spreadsheet I like to keep track of such things on.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I don't use collections to find things, just to keep track of what I've read or not yet read. Search is very fast to find things, much faster than navigating through collections.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don't use collections to find things, just to keep track of what I've read or not yet read. Search is very fast to find things, much faster than navigating through collections.
What's even faster is to just jump directly to an author or title. Sort the home page in author order, tap the page number at the lower right, and you can jump directly to any author in the list. Much quicker than using search if you want a specific author.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:25 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's even faster is to just jump directly to an author or title. Sort the home page in author order, tap the page number at the lower right, and you can jump directly to any author in the list. Much quicker than using search if you want a specific author.
Yes, that works well too. But sometimes I cannot remember whether something I'm looking for is in my Library or if it is something I borrowed from KU (or public library) and returned. Search resolves this uncertainty.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If you know the title of the book you want to read, or the author, that might work. But if you want something to read but are not sure what paging through 100+ pages of books looking to spot the one that might appeal isn't something I would much care for. Being able to cut the list by the general type of book you are wanting at the moment would be much preferable. When you go to the library you generally head to specific , sections mystery, reference, history, whatever before you start browsing the shelves. I really wish my kindle could be organized like my library, general genres, maybe subgenres then authors within that genre. And enough memory to hold them all so I could thumb my nose at connectivity issues.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
If you know the title of the book you want to read, or the author, that might work. But if you want something to read but are not sure what paging through 100+ pages of books looking to spot the one that might appeal isn't something I would much care for. Being able to cut the list by the general type of book you are wanting at the moment would be much preferable. When you go to the library you generally head to specific , sections mystery, reference, history, whatever before you start browsing the shelves. I really wish my kindle could be organized like my library, general genres, maybe subgenres then authors within that genre. And enough memory to hold them all so I could thumb my nose at connectivity issues.
Your library has its fiction sorted by genre. I want to visit it.
I always thought libraries sorted by LOC or Dewey decimal. So the non-fiction was sorted by type but the fiction was in alphabetical order.
Though thanks. You just gave me an idea on shelving cookbooks which by the way would be in 2 different places in a library. 613 is diet and 641.5 is cooking, Those can go up to 5 digits after the decimal.641.59765 is Texas.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote