robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I can't wait to get an iPad
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #17
DaK2
DaK2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, iPad
The reason I like the incase case is that is very sturdy and offers protection if the iPad were to be dropped. Also the screen is covered / protected when the case is closed and the case has a strap that holds the front cover in place. I'm not sure if the case is made out of real leather or not but it feels like leather.

Yes, the case might be more bulky when compared to the Apple case but it does offer more protection. The question is what is more important to you - lighter weight or better protection. You should check them both out at the Apple store
DaK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #18
sciredz
Enthusiast
sciredz began at the beginning.

Device: none
When watching video at the sofa at the gym or starbucks. I can imagine holding
it slant and the incase case might be too heavy. So the apple case is the way to
go for me and at least it would have great resale value.

I live in asia. I found out the apple case is to be available end of april at Apple
online store. Does this mean all apple retail stores based in US have sold out
all the cases? Also where exactly is Apple Online Store located. Or are stocks
there representative of all stocks of the retail stores? Anyone got an idea?

If anyone of you will visit or just visited an apple retail store. Pls. ask if they
still have the $39 apple case.

Also anyone knows a good apple forums where people sell apple stuff. I need to
get the apple case soon so I can cloth the ipad when I get it 2 weeks from now.
sciredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #19
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I'm using the Apple portfolio case with a Bodyguardz screen protector. I got the case at Best Buy (they had them in stock earlier this week). It's 40 bucks, which is overpriced... that said, I really like it. It's thin, but seems durable, and you can fold the cover back over and it "clips" to the back, making a little laptop desk.

There's a company called Incipio that makes really nice iPhone cases, and they have some coming out for the iPad. You can preview them on their website, but are not quite available for sale yet.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #20
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Even while I am still waiting for iPads to arrive in France, I am shopping for cases. I found several that looks promising but each of those has its pros and cons.

Here is what I found :
- Vaja Cases : usually pricey but I found them good values on my former Tréo, long ago... They don't have many models out yet.
http://www.vajacases.com/
- Otterbox : very sturdy but does probably radically alter the outlook of the iPad ! Still I used one for a Tréo 650 and nowadays for my iPhone as I like the extra protection which I really need in my daily use.
http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-case-coming-soon
- Oberon Design : very nice looking stuff ! And I know that they have stuff coming for the iPad.
http://www.oberondesign.com/index.php
- Piel Frama : sounds interesting...
http://www.pielframa.com/ipad-magnetic-tan-cases.htm

Of course, those are radically different cases ! Will make it harder to choose !

Last edited by Gurvan; 04-11-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Adding...
Gurvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:14 AM   #21
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Finally, by looking around, I found a lot of other options ! Here is one that sums up quite nicely...

http://www.macworld.com/article/1471...sepreview.html
Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #22
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
- Piel Frama : sounds interesting...
http://www.pielframa.com/ipad-magnetic-tan-cases.htm
The iPad has a compass built in; a case with a magnetic closure would likely prevent it from working. (though I'm not sure how useful the compass is in the first place)
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #23
Gurvan
Groupie

You are right but as they are doing the same for iPhone and others are doing the same too, there is probably a work-around, no ?
Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #24
FourOhFour
HTTP Error
FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FourOhFour ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvan View Post
You are right but as they are doing the same for iPhone and others are doing the same too, there is probably a work-around, no ?
I don't know. Personally, I never use the compass so a case with magnets wouldn't bother me.
FourOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #25
sciredz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK2 View Post
The reason I like the incase case is that is very sturdy and offers protection if the iPad were to be dropped. Also the screen is covered / protected when the case is closed and the case has a strap that holds the front cover in place. I'm not sure if the case is made out of real leather or not but it feels like leather.

Yes, the case might be more bulky when compared to the Apple case but it does offer more protection. The question is what is more important to you - lighter weight or better protection. You should check them both out at the Apple store
I can't find the original apple case in stock so rather than not having any
cover, I finally ordered the incase sturdy case coming in 2 weeks. Does
yours have a screen protector inside the incase? If one doesn't like to
use it, can one remove it? I may not want to use it because it may
cause more reflections or dull the colors in the IPS screen.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #26
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i had an otterbox defender on my iphone. stopped using it after about a month. the case is huge and when worn on the belt it really dug into my side. the screen protector is built into the case and can't be removed. this protector has a known issue where it produces an "oily screen" and looks horrible. the solution is to apply corn starch or baby powder inside the case before putting your iphone inside. decided that wasn't for me and the case now is collecting its own dust on a bookshelf.

i'd be wary of their cases if they have a similar built-in screen guard.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #27
DaK2
DaK2 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciredz View Post
I can't find the original apple case in stock so rather than not having any
cover, I finally ordered the incase sturdy case coming in 2 weeks. Does
yours have a screen protector inside the incase? If one doesn't like to
use it, can one remove it? I may not want to use it because it may
cause more reflections or dull the colors in the IPS screen.

The incase does not have a built in screen protector so you don't have to worry about removing it.

The reflection on the screen doesn't bother me. Being able to adjust the brightness helps and no more clipping on a light to read at night which caused more of a reflection on the Kindle screen, IMO.

I wasn't sure how much I would like the iPad for reading but I love it and am even reading all of my Kindle books on it. It's great being able to go back and forth between reading news sites, playing a quick game or reading a book.
DaK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:21 PM   #28
sciredz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK2 View Post
The incase does not have a built in screen protector so you don't have to worry about removing it.

The reflection on the screen doesn't bother me. Being able to adjust the brightness helps and no more clipping on a light to read at night which caused more of a reflection on the Kindle screen, IMO.

I wasn't sure how much I would like the iPad for reading but I love it and am even reading all of my Kindle books on it. It's great being able to go back and forth between reading news sites, playing a quick game or reading a book.
I see. The incase case I ordered won't be available til 7 days later and they
asked me if I want to cancel it. There's something that I need to know that
can make me decide. When you (or anyone reading this) are sitting at sofa
or chair and reading pdf. How do you hold your ipad? holding it slant against
the stomach? this means you have to apply pressure to hold it, right? Won't
the additional weight of the incase case give more stress and prone to more
tiring hands compared to the featherweight original ipad case?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #29
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

don't try this at home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_H3Q94FlXs
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #30
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciredz View Post
I see. The incase case I ordered won't be available til 7 days later and they
asked me if I want to cancel it. There's something that I need to know that
can make me decide. When you (or anyone reading this) are sitting at sofa
or chair and reading pdf. How do you hold your ipad? holding it slant against
the stomach? this means you have to apply pressure to hold it, right? Won't
the additional weight of the incase case give more stress and prone to more
tiring hands compared to the featherweight original ipad case?
I find the ipad is kind of heavy without a case. I've leaned it against things on the table to read but was considering getting one of these:

http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/1923

They cost $45 plus tax and shipping charges though and I can't find where they've been tested and reviewed. The concept is interesting and I think the design is elegant. I suppose these are the problems with being an early implementer.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote