Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Select between the following options:
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 17 44.74%
Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald 21 55.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post

Some of the most famous romances are tragedies, such as Romeo and Juliet.

Saying that what people chose to vote for is "shocking, saddening and depressing" is a bit extreme, no?

(although, for the record, *I* originally voted for a book with fun, love and possible happiness )
Umm no, its not extreme, its how I feel. Considering last month's selection, it does surprise me that "we" would be to go "negative" again this month. As to Romeo and Juliet: been there, done that, have no intentions of ever doing it again. Great work or not I don't like Romeo and Juliet and therefore would not seek out its like. I don't like to be unhappy, especially in my entertainment.

Quote:
Genres can intermingle with each other. You think romance can't be classic?!?

Also, this month's category isn't "erotica", so I'm not sure why you are saying "so much for" erotica?
Yes, genres can and do intermingle, but the main theme of the work should be the genre in question. I believe Hamlet is stating that the books' main themes were NOT Romance. Romance seems to be a side dish, not the entree. Since this month's theme is Romance, then Romance should be the main course!
Not only that, in a book club where we already have two months dedicated to classic works, we really should try to find more modern works for some, if not all, of the other genres. If not, we might as well not list specific genres at all, or those who only want to only read classics should start a classics based book club.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Indeed.

As for Outlander, I think people are getting it wrong. It's most definitely romance, of the historical/swashbuckling type updated to modern sensibilities. The sci-fi aspect (time travel of the woo-woo as opposed to the time machine type) is very, very, very minor, and for someone looking for the nuts'n'bolts type of sci-fi, non-existent.

Outlander is a fun read, if you don't mind Gabaldon's solecisms. As with a lot of SFF series, the first few books are good and then the quality plummets.
IF that is the case then I withdraw my personal objection to the book for this month. Reading the synopsis made it sound like SciFi and not a romance to me.

As to the author..Her views would not prevent me from reading her book, but I am less inclined to give any financial support. So if I found it in the library, or could borrow it from a friend, then fine.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #33
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Umm no, its not extreme, its how I feel. Considering last month's selection, it does surprise me that "we" would be to go "negative" again this month. As to Romeo and Juliet: been there, done that, have no intentions of ever doing it again. Great work or not I don't like Romeo and Juliet and therefore would not seek out its like. I don't like to be unhappy, especially in my entertainment.

Yes, genres can and do intermingle, but the main theme of the work should be the genre in question. I believe Hamlet is stating that the books' main themes were NOT Romance. Romance seems to be a side dish, not the entree. Since this month's theme is Romance, then Romance should be the main course!
Not only that, in a book club where we already have two months dedicated to classic works, we really should try to find more modern works for some, if not all, of the other genres. If not, we might as well not list specific genres at all, or those who only want to only read classics should start a classics based book club.
So you're saying we shouldn't simply go by what the majority of people want to read? We had nominations and voting fair and square.

I also really didn't like that Black Rain won last month but what could I do? The group spoketh.

I will slightly disagree with you about main course vs side dish. I think it should be up to us to decide what's appropriate. Anyone is allowed to object to a book and if enough feel it's not appropriate to the category the nominator can remove it. I wasn't too thrilled when a sci-fi book won the comedy month in 2011 (and I don't think anyone complained then), but them's the breaks sometimes.

Actually, I will defer to your own opinion on the matter from some time ago. You were discussing the six-month rule, but it seems equally appropriate in this discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa
A book is only fully nominated after getting a 2nd and a 3rd. If people are not interested in reading it, or find it to be out of genre, then it will not get nominated. If it gets nominated, then there is a interest, and denying the nomination says that we do not care that there is an interest.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #34
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
So you're saying we shouldn't simply go by what the majority of people want to read? We had nominations and voting fair and square.

I also really didn't like that Black Rain won last month but what could I do? The group spoketh.

I will slightly disagree with you about main course vs side dish. I think it should be up to us to decide what's appropriate. Anyone is allowed to object to a book and if enough feel it's not appropriate to the category the nominator can remove it. I wasn't too thrilled when a sci-fi book won the comedy month in 2011 (and I don't think anyone complained then), but them's the breaks sometimes.

Actually, I will defer to your own opinion on the matter from some time ago. You were discussing the six-month rule, but it seems equally appropriate in this discussion:
No Sun Surfer I didn't say we shouldn't go by majority rule. I said we should try to find more modern work for non classic months. My statement might trigger other members to consider more modern works going forward...who knows. I still stand by what I said then and now. There is no contradiction other than where you choose to see one. In fact, if you read my response to Issybird, you will see that I rescinded my objection based on her description. I have not asked anyone to invalidate either the nominations nor the votes..What I said was that I am disappointed. I then stated how I feel and why.

There is nothing you can say that will make me feel any differently.

My only hope is that Tender is the Night is a good read.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #35
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Hal Spacejock was my breaking point, too. That's when I stopped feeling committed to read every selection. But it's all good--I read several of the nominated works.

Seriously, any book has a lot of hoops to jump through, so to speak, on the road to being selected. Seeing a vote disparaged seems disrespectful to those who are taking part in the process. I don't expect to like every selection--but perhaps it's just the ones that don't appeal that are the ones I most should read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If you folks have never read any of the Hal Spacejock books, you don't know what you're missing. I've read them all, and can't wait for the 5th book in the series (Baker's Dough), due SOON! They're just plain funny!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oh - I believe I was the one that nominated Hal Spacejock at the time and it was because it was one of the few comedy books I actually had (recently acquired at the time).

I don't really know all the ins and outs of the comedy genre, but this seemed like a funny book and it really did have me tickled when I read it. Sorry if people felt there was a genre clash going on, I wasn't specifically trying to taint comedy with sci-fi.

As for Tender is the Night, I certainly voted for it to satisfy my own agenda. I have my own personal challenges this year and one involves reading something from the romance genre and one involves reading a certain amount of classics. Combined with the zero price of the book, this was a train that it made sense for me to board. Anyway, the other offering doesn't even seem to be available to me as an ebook so there was no chance I would vote for it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #38
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Hal Spacejock was my breaking point, too. That's when I stopped feeling committed to read every selection. But it's all good--I read several of the nominated works.

Seriously, any book has a lot of hoops to jump through, so to speak, on the road to being selected. Seeing a vote disparaged seems disrespectful to those who are taking part in the process. I don't expect to like every selection--but perhaps it's just the ones that don't appeal that are the ones I most should read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If you folks have never read any of the Hal Spacejock books, you don't know what you're missing. I've read them all, and can't wait for the 5th book in the series (Baker's Dough), due SOON! They're just plain funny!
I read Hal Spacejock because it was the monthly suggestion. Let's just say that as stated in this thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167030) what people find funny varies a great deal and I am just glad that it was short and didn't cost much.

So when all is said and done Tender is the Night is the book of the month. It's something I would want to read sometime and it's free, so cool.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #39
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Oh, darn. I was certain Outlander was going to win and I started it!

I'm already 100 pages in and frankly, it's not terribly romantic so far. I'd classify it as an adventure/time-travel story. Maybe that'll change as I plow through the rest of 688 pages of it.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #40
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Free and legal in Canada is good!
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
Free and legal in Canada is good!
You lucky dog! I just shelled out $11.99 to Amazon for a book whose author has been dead going on 72 years all to make sure I stayed on the right side of our insane copyright laws.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #42
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^An occassional freebie in Canada isn't really much to get excited about. While most of the world got Neil Gaiman's American Gods for $2 we could get it for $13 and for pretty much every book I've bought over the last thirty years I've had to look at the back and see the words "US $7.99 CAN $12.99"
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #43
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^An occassional freebie in Canada isn't really much to get excited about. While most of the world got Neil Gaiman's American Gods for $2 we could get it for $13 and for pretty much every book I've bought over the last thirty years I've had to look at the back and see the words "US $7.99 CAN $12.99"

Oh, I know and soon our own legislation will be catching up.

Notice how lately real books here are Canada and UK instead so they can confuse us with quid instead of greenbacks?
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #44
JsKindle3
My K3 has my heart
JsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitJsKindle3 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3
Im about to order the book
JsKindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #45
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Just about to start Tender is the Night. Wish me luck.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, book club, february, poll, run-off