Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
ec3008
ec3008 began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
extra power for dr1000S

Hi,
with the battery problem of DR1000 I need some 'extra power' for my reader. So I've thinking to buy MP3450 of the Tekkeon.
It can support from 5 to 16 voltage.
Have you never tried it ?
what is the correct voltage for power and charge the DR1000S ? (i presume 5v is correct?)

thanks a lot

Enrico
ec3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Is the battery for DR user replaceable?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 AM   #3
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
no it is not
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Diogene
Banned
Diogene doesn't litterDiogene doesn't litter

Device: BeBook
Which is a good reason to boycott a product in my opinion, even though I like what Irex are doing.
Diogene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
well....
everything is user replaceable out of warranty....
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I really wish iRex would have made it user replaceable, but omro is right. There are already community instructions for how to replace the batteries in the iLiad. I imagine eventually the DR will be similar, once people with them start getting past their warranty period and start opening them up more.

I haven't done it to my iLiad yet, but I've replaced the batteries on several Palm pilots over the years. Technically they're not user replaceable either, but it's really not that hard.

I'm disappointed that they didn't make them easier to replace, but I certainly wouldn't boycott them because of it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec3008 View Post
Hi,
with the battery problem of DR1000 I need some 'extra power' for my reader. So I've thinking to buy MP3450 of the Tekkeon.
It can support from 5 to 16 voltage.
Have you never tried it ?
what is the correct voltage for power and charge the DR1000S ? (i presume 5v is correct?)
See this thread or this one.

Last edited by allovertheglobe; 12-09-2008 at 12:40 AM.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
vwinstead
Enthusiast
vwinstead began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
software updates

Well, I think the battery power problem is more of a software issue than a hardware issue right now. Once the newer versions of software come out (1.03 comes out on Dec 11th) we can see the new power saving features for the device. It will have standby and hibernate timers built into it so that should save a lot of power. Soon, the DR1000 power will be measured in "page turns" rather than minutes just like the sony devices. That is how it SHOULD be for an eReader since the device doesn't need any power to keep a page displayed on screen.
vwinstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 AM   #9
ec3008
ec3008 began at the beginning.

I hope that new firmware version (could be 1.5) can resolve battery problem.
Now with 1.02 my reader, with light use, can survive for about 6 hour.
It's the same for your devices?

enrico
ec3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Supposedly, 1.02 should give you about 8 hours. But a lot of it depends on how you're using the reader. Writing takes up more power than reading, for example.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
1.5 update would allow us to leave devices open and get rid of the annoying boot process which takes a little bit too long for my taste. I have really high hopes for 1.5 since even 1.02 managed to provide a nice extension to battery life, and with standby in the picture things can get much better.
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #12
Krishirex
Krishirex began at the beginning.

Hi Sarikan,

Have you looked at Solargorilla & Powergorilla from www.powertraveller.com ? Sounds like you are doing a lot of reading as I do with medical books etc.

These 2 devices can charge anything from Macbook Pro (with an adaptor), laptops, cell phones, anything at all, several times over (Powergorilla has huge backup battery).

However, they are quite expensive, I am thinking of getting Solar or Powergorilla or both rather than run out of juice at inconvenient times.

Pity DR's battery life is so poor even with 1.02 update, maybe 1.5 firmware will make it better. I will hold off till January before going the Gorilla way.
Krishirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
Senkrad_Luna
Senkrad_Luna began at the beginning.

Device: ds1000s hopeful
A bit behind on my /. but noticed this a thought it would be of interest to this dicussion:

http://hothardware.com/News/EU-Direc...ttery-Changes/
Senkrad_Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #14
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi there Krishirex,
Yes, I do lots of reading This thing looks really interesting. Other than the monstrous price tag, it brings another problem for me.
I carry around a 17 inch laptop with two external usb drives, a webcam, headphones, an umbrealla (this is London, no chance of walking around without one), laptop power supply etc..
My dr1000 does not fit my backpack already, and there are already other gadgets like my cell phone(s) and my gps device etc.
Changing the topic a little bit, does anyone know a really good backpack, that would contain all these things and make sure my dr1000 does not get crushed in the bag due to pressure from other items?

Kind regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:19 AM   #15
Senkrad_Luna
Senkrad_Luna began at the beginning.

Device: ds1000s hopeful
If you are UK try checking TKmaxx they carry a range of Victronix(sp?) back packs that might suit your needs.

Last edited by Senkrad_Luna; 12-20-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Senkrad_Luna is offline   Reply With Quote