Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
quickfold
quickfold began at the beginning.

Device: none
Search-and-replace tags question

Hi, I'm trying to find all tags containing a word or text string and then replace them with a new tag. So I'd like to find all tags containing "colleg" (such as college, collegiate, college admissions, etc.) and remove those tags and replace them with the tag "college". Is there a way to do this?

Similarly, I'd like to delete all tags with a certain text string, such as "1" (to remove date tags).

Obviously, I'm looking for a non-manual / one-by-one solution!

Thanks for your help!
quickfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfold View Post
Hi, I'm trying to find all tags containing a word or text string and then replace them with a new tag. So I'd like to find all tags containing "colleg" (such as college, collegiate, college admissions, etc.) and remove those tags and replace them with the tag "college". Is there a way to do this?

Similarly, I'd like to delete all tags with a certain text string, such as "1" (to remove date tags).

Obviously, I'm looking for a non-manual / one-by-one solution!

Thanks for your help!
Method #1
Manage Tags will modify (includes Delete) all usage from a single place.

You can Multi-select, but it does no good

Method #2
You could try the Bulk Metadata edit mode (all books with the tags:~Col )
Add Tags: Set a temporary MarkerTag (to avoid accidental deletion)
Remove Tags: (Tap C to get to the tag with the first letter 'C' ) and add all the tags to be removed
Then rename your MarkerTag to your final choice

Method #3 (very dangerous if you get it wrong.. BackupBackupBackup)
NOT TESTED --- USE BIG CARE
Again, set a MarkerTag that does NOT start with COL
Bulk Metadata edit
Search Tags for Col.+$ <<Matches to end of Tag
Replace with College
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@the ducks
Great post. I have learned at least 2 useful expressions. Maybe I will get my tags beat into submission someday after all.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
@the ducks
Great post. I have learned at least 2 useful expressions. Maybe I will get my tags beat into submission someday after all.

Helen
Helen
Get a Regex Cheat sheet and keep it handy (I don't remember all this stuff. I remember where the notes are)

Not all the REGEX on the sheet works in Calibre (or Sigil), but it gives you FREE ideas
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, search, tags