Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #46
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Pirated copies of the HP books have been available for ages.

People will pirate these books regardless of windowing, exclusivity, watermarking or anything else.
True, but once someone gets their hands on the Sony Reader bundled ebooks, there would be pirated copies that are as good as the official release. Granted, I don't really have any idea as to the quality of currently circulating pirated Harry Potter ebooks. Knowing how meticulous some of the HP fans are, the currently available pirated copies might even be superior to the official version.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #47
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Potter fans will have to jump on premium priced Sony readers right away, or else be forced to wait months before they can read books they've previously purchased and read.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #48
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Given that they've already read the books, how is it a big deal?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 PM   #49
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
It's not a 'fad' for me - I do a lot of historical research, and Google Books is one of the best places to find contemporaneous sources.

Nothing like reading about the Civil War or slavery by the folks who were there.

(That, and I just like old books, and GB has a TON. For free. Kid. Candy store. You get the picture.)
Even the non-free old Books with limited viewing (certain pages, etc) can be great material for a term paper or the like.

It was so much easier to search Google books for, say, a book review I just did - on Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People. I wanted more info on Bede himself and google books provided the answers. Even though only maybe 1/4 of the pages of the book I found was available for reading, it got me what I wanted quickly, way quicker than tracking down a library and skimming through the book or its index for the info, and with complete bibliography, etc. It's like a web source that doesn't suck!
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #50
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
What could Kindle do to counter, I wonder?
Nothing. It's small potatoes and Amazons lead is already immense. No need to do anything.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #51
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Pottermore itself is still saying that the Pottermore Shop (which will have both the e-books and audiobooks for download) opens in October when the site goes live.

As for the bundle with the Sony Reader, that should have been obvious, I'd have thought. One of the press releases (which I can't find now) hinted at it. There was a similar deal with the audiobooks when iTunes had the rights; they all came bundled on one of the iPods around the holidays.

ETA: Found it!
Quote:
As the Pottermore Shop develops, it is intended that it should include
further products designed specifically for Harry Potter fans, offering a potential outlet for Sony
products and services related to Pottermore.
That just screamed HP-themed ereader to me. *shrug*

Last edited by Nahgem; 08-16-2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added link
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #52
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Nothing. It's small potatoes and Amazons lead is already immense. No need to do anything.
True. All this really does is make people aware that Sony also makes e-readers. Most of the layfolk in the US know about the Kindle and the Nook. A bit less so, the Kobo (due to Borders). Frankly, I think the only people who know about the Sony Readers and actually like them are those who frequent MobileRead.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #53
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
True, but once someone gets their hands on the Sony Reader bundled ebooks, there would be pirated copies that are as good as the official release....
The Potter books will be released without DRM, just a watermark. I'm guessing it will be fairly easy to erase the watermark or use a stolen credit card.

Piracy is not going to increase by the slightest iota as a result of something like this.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #54
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
This makes sense. Rowling wanted this to be primarily an online thing and it's going to be. Plus there is also the advantage of limiting the rate of ebook sales. I mean that if the millions of HP fans would all try to get the books at the same time, there would be some problems but mostly many frustrated people.

What I am curious about is the language of the books. For example, I live in the Netherlands, but I wouldn't want to buy the books in dutch (the names Neville Longbottom's name is Marcel Lubbermans, and I kept seeing Marcel in the subtitles in the last film ). Would there be this option, or are the ereaders going to be preloaded with the books in all the languages, or in the language of the country + English?

Also I wonder about the return policy of the ereaders.
I can see people buying the ereader, reading the books, and returning the reader if they decide they don't want it.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #55
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Right.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
because some people think stealing is preferable to waiting?
And paying nothing as opposed to paying for the author's work - which, it would seem, are going to yet another chidren's medical charity.

Yeah, xg4bx, way to go.........................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM   #56
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
What I am curious about is the language of the books. For example, I live in the Netherlands, but I wouldn't want to buy the books in dutch (the names Neville Longbottom's name is Marcel Lubbermans, and I kept seeing Marcel in the subtitles in the last film ). Would there be this option, or are the ereaders going to be preloaded with the books in all the languages, or in the language of the country + English?
I presume, as there won't be any DRM, there also won't be any regional restrictions. And thus that we'll all be able to buy all the books in all the languages it's available...

The option would be, there will be only one language available: English. As long as that's English (UK), I'm fine with that
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #57
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Sony really does need to redo their store. I'm fairly certain that most Sony Reader owners on Mobile Reads buy from other stores -- am I wrong? Does anyone use the Sony store?

I use it for probably 85% of my purchases.

I buy from other sources if they are 1) significantly cheaper, 2) the book is not available from Sony Store.

I use Calibre to organize my collections and books, so it doesn't matter how the books come, I want them on my computer first anyway.

And I hate that on Amazon, using K4PC I end up buying each book indivdually, instead of making a cart and being able to review and order in bulk.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #58
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I presume, as there won't be any DRM, there also won't be any regional restrictions. And thus that we'll all be able to buy all the books in all the languages it's available...
Except you won't be able to buy the books, but buy an ereader with preloaded books. Which would be country-specific.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #59
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I've waited several years for the eBooks to arrive, I'm sure I can wait another few months whilst the Sony exclusive expires. I would be a little peeved had she not stated the money was going to charity, it's kinda hard to complain about a few months exclusive when it's for a good cause :P

I just hope the books eventually ship without DRM (don't mind the watermark), as long as that happens I'll be happy.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #60
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
And I hate that on Amazon, using K4PC I end up buying each book indivdually, instead of making a cart and being able to review and order in bulk.
Yes, I'd love a cart functionality with Amazon as well...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote