Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Japan : A Record In Color

An interesting art book out on Project Gutenberg US. Definitely worth a look. it's books like these (and the Illustrated Oz books (new one out - The Tin Woodsman of Oz - on 4/22), that make me long for the new generation of low-power color screen (Mirasol, Liquavista, ect...))
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Have a link? I can't find it.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you, RSE! I downloaded it and began reading parts of the story with the pictures. It is beautiful and the short passages that I read, entice me to read more.

EDIT: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/32086

Last edited by dreams; 04-23-2010 at 09:09 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:13 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thank you! I will download it and try it on my Opus, but of course a larger color screen would be best for this.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Thank you! I will download it and try it on my Opus, but of course a larger color screen would be best for this.
Well, it would have been for a good copy. For the one on Gutenberg, you can tell that the book must have had beautiful illustrations, but the jpegs are compressed far too much, resulting in large, horrible artifacting covering every picture.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Well, it would have been for a good copy. For the one on Gutenberg, you can tell that the book must have had beautiful illustrations, but the jpegs are compressed far too much, resulting in large, horrible artifacting covering every picture.
Oh, that's too bad. Are you talking about the epub version? The online html version seems fine from what I have seen.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Thanks for mentioning this book, I'll definitely give it a read!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:34 AM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Oh, that's too bad. Are you talking about the epub version? The online html version seems fine from what I have seen.
No, the jpegs in the HTML version. Nothing but top to bottom, edge to edge macroblocks.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I downloaded the epub version and it looks pretty good using the Sony Reader Library. I haven't put it on my 505 yet.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The MOBI version looks very nice in calibre book viewer - the illustrations are correctly sized. Haven't moved it to my DX yet.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Looks good on my 600.

My family had a copy of this a very long tome ago.

Thank you , Ralph Sir Edward

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 04-26-2010 at 07:16 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Shrug...I agree but it's what's out there. I thought it would be of interest to some of the readers here...
Old 04-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
sounds like a decent book, might take a look
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Shrug...I agree but it's what's out there. I thought it would be of interest to some of the readers here...
I'm not saying that it isn't of interest-- I'm just saying, it doesn't need a "larger color screen." Well, color would be good-- but larger would just show how poor the jpegs are-- so it'll look better on a small screen than a large one. There is a copy on Google books that is higher resolution and less compressed-- but it has horrible Moiré artifacts. What I'd like is a copy of the pages scanned at 300 dpi or better, with low jpeg compression.

As for being a subject of interest to me-- just look at some of my Scribd folders:

http://www.scribd.com/document_collections/2316969

http://www.scribd.com/document_collections/2292075

http://www.scribd.com/document_collections/2306894

and this:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...l/scrolls.html
Old 04-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not saying that it isn't of interest-- I'm just saying, it doesn't need a "larger color screen." Well, color would be good-- but larger would just show how poor the jpegs are-- so it'll look better on a small screen than a large one. There is a copy on Google books that is higher resolution and less compressed-- but it has horrible Moiré artifacts. What I'd like is a copy of the pages scanned at 300 dpi or better, with low jpeg compression.

As for being a subject of interest to me-- just look at some of my Scribd folders:

http://www.scribd.com/document_collections/2316969

http://www.scribd.com/document_collections/2292075

http://www.scribd.com/document_collections/2306894

and this:

http://webpages.charter.net/garrison...l/scrolls.html

Ardeegee, I don't have access to a p-copy. If you do, it is easy to replace the pictures in the HTML with other ones...