Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #16
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I may also get a stylus and fully replace the regular notebook at work, for my Monday meetings!
I'm a researcher and use my iPad extensively for work - reading and annotating research articles, taking notes in meetings/ seminars/ conferences, recording public lectures, pdf management. When I use it in conjunction with a stylus and an external keyboard, it becomes a very powerful unit with a much longer battery life than my macbook air. As someone else said it doesn't replace a laptop, but it complements it very well. An iPad doesn't have to be a toy or recreational device only.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
ipads a good for web surfing, email and pdfs. that's why the 16GB version is good enough. anything higher really is a waste of money. a old model 16GB version sells on ebay almost the same price give or take $50~ as a 64GB version does.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
ipads a good for web surfing, email and pdfs. that's why the 16GB version is good enough. anything higher really is a waste of money. a old model 16GB version sells on ebay almost the same price give or take $50~ as a 64GB version does.
I had my 16gig ipad 2 practically filled (I couldn't even upgrade to ios6 due to lack of space) and just replaced it with a 32gig ipad 3.

It really depends what you are using it for. As soon as you start loading comic collections or have a robust magazine collection, you can go through space pretty quickly. There are a number of games that are in the 1gig territory these days - so I definitely do not agree with your statement that 16gb is good enough and anything higher is a waste of money.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I had filled up my 16GB iPad2 also, so I got a new iPad and this time I took the 64GB. It isn't full yet

I resisted using my iPad for work for a long time, because I like to keep my personal and professional lives strictly separate, but I started using it to take notes in meetings and manage my to-do lists at work, so now the only time I'm not using it is at night when I sleep.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I had filled up my 16GB iPad2 also, so I got a new iPad and this time I took the 64GB. It isn't full yet

I resisted using my iPad for work for a long time, because I like to keep my personal and professional lives strictly separate, but I started using it to take notes in meetings and manage my to-do lists at work, so now the only time I'm not using it is at night when I sleep.
Filled? ... Why, what do you keep ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
I disagree! I have a 64Gb iPad and I can't imagine having a 16Gb one.
I use my ipad a lot and having all my muisc and a selection of pdfs, ebooks, videos, podcasts, photos and apps etc is awesome and fills up 3/4 of it in no time.
OK there is a price difference but its worth it IMO.
and for me, on a contract with my provider spread out over 2 years there really isn't a huge difference in prices anyway,
and I would hate to regret no getting a bigger one after a year or so
but I suppose everones lifestyle and needs is different

any my 2c worth
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #22
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well i had the ipad 2 64 gig version with sim card. I only used up 32 gigs after 12 months. and half the stuff on there i didn't need at all. i ended up just using it for pdfs and browsing...

there's really only so much you can read at any given time. it's no hassel at all to delete an put new things on there.

Last edited by 300com; 10-05-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #23
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Filled? ... Why, what do you keep ...
Apps. On the iPad 2 I ended up removing almost all the photos and videos to make room for apps, and it wasn't enough, I kept uninstalling old apps to put new ones in. I'm an app addict. And some of them take up quite a lot of space, such as dictionaries or art books.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
300com
Zealot

I'm waiting for the ipad mini in black anodized aluminum to match my phone.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
The new ipad was my first one so I can't really comment on prev ipads, but I really love the HD display, its awesome
it needs a powerful battery, thats the down side but I think its worth it
awesome
There are smaller more portable battery boosters for handheld devices but an automobile jump box will work if you are near your car.

My birthplace is very rural and especially in winter it is important to have a spare car battery or a good jump box. (No cell service either.)

Still once you have the jump box, you find other uses as well. It will power all your plugins for automobile 12VDC receptacles, or lighter receptacles.

When I travel I also carry an inverter that will plug into the car or the jump box and give me alternating current.

Another strategy is to carry a converter that plugs into the alternating current and changes the voltage to 12VDC. Then your car chargers and 12 volt devices will work anywhere.

My work also takes me to places without easy access to power or to stores where you might pick up the proper charger or batteries.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
ZBoater
Gadgeteer Extraordinaire
ZBoater began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite, Nexus 7, iPad 3
I have a similar combo and the Nexus is getting relegated to Android toy.

The gap the Nexus filled was the lighter bedtime reader. The Paperwhite now holds that role. The one drawback is web surfing, but I'm glad I have a dedicated ereader. Too many distractions on my tablets...
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #27
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
All of my iPads (1, 2 and now 3) have been 64GB. I would not dream of buying one with less storage. I would love one 250GB. I try to leave 10% free, never know what might show up. My music takes up 5GB, comics/magazines 10GB, movies/TV about 10GB, apps are 10-20 because I have navigation maps and large books with loads of pictures and video and about 5GB of standard ebooks. What's left are in pictures.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #28
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I was interested in the iPad, my Mum however desperately wanted to own one since my brother got his 2nd generation iPad, so when a savings plan matured I figured that it was 'now or never' and bought one.

I figured it was something I couldn't afford again, and knowing how easily my two iPod touches filled up, to plump for the 64gb wifi version.

I can do quick blog posts to my blogs, check out the many blogs I follow as well as twitter feeds more comfortably with my iPad. Magazines are brilliant on the larger display as is my Flipboard app. Add to that my Mum totally loves playing games on it via touch screen rather than on her laptop with either the mouse or touch pad it was well worth the money spent. Apart from the continual complaints of having played all the games on it and needing a new game to challenge her. Another totally unexpected reason I'm glad I went for the larger capacity iPad now.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
iPad3 base model really should be 32GB. It deals with higher resolution content and can chew up storage more quickly. Mine is only 16GB but it was free...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #30
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
iPad3 base model really should be 32GB. It deals with higher resolution content and can chew up storage more quickly. Mine is only 16GB but it was free...
It also depends of the user.

For content usage (browsing internet or reading) 16GB is more than enough.

It starts adding when you download movies or music.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote