Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #1336
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, I now have another 28 ebooks from the Heyer sale to add to my collection of Stuff I Paid For Which I Should One Day Read. It turns out that the DANL price for them is just $1.90 each after membership discount with the discover15 discount coupon stacked on top.

I did skip the short stories and the three titles owned by the library's e-collection, though I'll have a skim through those over the weekend to see if I want to pick them up anyway for $2 DRM-free to encourage more $2 DRM-free sales in the future.

Ironically, Frederica turns out to be the one Heyer title which is available everywhere worldwide at DANL except in Canada.

Now to hit up Fictionwise's new releases while the 60% off coupon is still good. They had some old school Brian Aldiss and new Greg Bear which I might as well get this week because between the stacked discounts, the price is unlikely to be cheaper any time soon.

ETA: It turns out the short stories are collected in Pistols for Two, which I conveniently bought in the above batch. Apparently they're supposed to run the gamut of Heyer's writing style so I guess I know which Heyer I'll be reading first.

Last edited by ATDrake; 08-16-2012 at 09:38 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #1337
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Why do I get the impression that the Support Thread for Ebook Buying Addicts has lost the plot and is encouraging Georgette Heyer addicts to overdose?

I can see there is going to have to be a lot of penance in the coming months!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #1338
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Geesh. Why did I think that my weakening resolve would be strengthened?

As it is, I have this urge to go searching and checking how much .... oops, there I go again.

I will hold out.... I will hold out ... I will hold out.
*besides, there will probably be a sale next year and I can look forward to that. *
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #1339
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Simon the Coldheart is there as well, as is The Spanish Bride.
Unfortunately, the ePubs of those at BooksOnBoard aren't in the sale. I might have to pay $2.99 for them from a different book store.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #1340
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Geesh. Why did I think that my weakening resolve would be strengthened?

As it is, I have this urge to go searching and checking how much .... oops, there I go again.

I will hold out.... I will hold out ... I will hold out.
*besides, there will probably be a sale next year and I can look forward to that. *
I do apologise, dreams. Not for what's been in the thread so far, but for what I'm about to say.

You should buy them. They are books by a favourite author, even the ones you've already read you will almost certainly want to re-read at some point, and are currently available at an amazingly good price. And you'll be able to clear some physical shelf space of tattered old paperback copies.

Sorry.
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #1341
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Unfortunately, the ePubs of those at BooksOnBoard aren't in the sale. I might have to pay $2.99 for them from a different book store.
It turns out I also didn't have The Black Moth (which isn't out of copyright except in the US). So now I've bought a total of 48 Heyer books for $88. $1.84 each (rounding up). A very good price indeed.

Ah well. off to read The Black Moth.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #1342
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I also went to Books on Board and bought (gasp!) 7 new Heyer books. The saving grace in all of that is I only paid $10 for them (had reward bucks). I am sad that I fell off of the wagon, but I couldn't resist after listening to all of you rave about her!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #1343
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
I do apologise, dreams. Not for what's been in the thread so far, but for what I'm about to say.

You should buy them. They are books by a favourite author, even the ones you've already read you will almost certainly want to re-read at some point, and are currently available at an amazingly good price. And you'll be able to clear some physical shelf space of tattered old paperback copies.

Sorry.
I don't think you should apologise. After all, these books are well within the premise of this thread. True, it does knock the TBR to heck and gone. But maybe what we need is a Heyer Book Club to get us all reading them together. That would be fun, actually.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #1344
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:

Sorry.
No worries. I just have so many on my TBR pile, that I am really trying to not purchase much and especially ones that would be rereads or ones I have in pback. It is just so tempting to acquire ones that don't take up space.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #1345
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I don't think you should apologise. After all, these books are well within the premise of this thread. True, it does knock the TBR to heck and gone. But maybe what we need is a Heyer Book Club to get us all reading them together. That would be fun, actually.
I'm in...with 21 new Heyer novels. Although in a few days I'll be off wandering the U.S. Southwest for a couple of months hiking, camping, and catching up on the newly expanded TBR list. Retirement can be blissful.

I'm delighted to have found them for so little money (thanks to this thread that so conveniently 'lost the plot') and, since my laptop died, there's no chance that I'll be checking sales and practicing my addiction while wandering.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #1346
Wald07
Audiophile
Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wald07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexux7 2nd Gen & Kobo Touch
I have 52 Heyer titles on my K3G keyboard...that I didn't pay for. The K3G was a used one I picked up @ ebay, and even after registering it & synching, the titles remained on the unit. Cool, eh?
Wald07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #1347
Art3mis
Art3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfoldedArt3mis reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Touch
My name is Art3mis and I'm addicted to buying e-books. I'd like to join the thread, if that's alright. When I first started e-reading, I didn't have any disposable income to spend on e-books, so it was easy and necessary to be satisfied with Project Gutenberg and Amazon freebies. However, I've recently gotten an income that allows me to have a small disposable spending amount - and now things are getting out-of-hand!

I think that my addiction is made worse by the fact that I don't have a wishlist of books that I'd like. I don't really like keeping lists (unless I'm cleaning house - then ticky boxes are very motivational!), and it ends up making books feel like a chore. What this means, though, is that I end up buying every book that looks interesting - I've only just discovered the $0.99 books on Amazon, and this is all just slaughtering my bank account!

I've purchased 24 e-books since 1 July and the average cost is $7.75.

Last edited by Art3mis; 08-21-2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Fixed up syntax issues.
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #1348
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3mis View Post
My name is Art3mis and I'm addicted to buying e-books. I'd like to join the thread, if that's alright. When I first started e-reading, I didn't have any disposable income to spend on e-books, so it was easy and necessary to be satisfied with Project Gutenberg and Amazon freebies. However, I've recently gotten an income that allows me to have a small disposable spending amount - and now things are getting out-of-hand!

I think that my addiction is made worse by the fact that I don't have a wishlist of books that I'd like. I don't really like keeping lists (unless I'm cleaning house - then ticky boxes are very motivational!), and it ends up making books feel like a chore. What this means, though, is that I end up buying every book that looks interesting - I've only just discovered the $0.99 books on Amazon, and this is all just slaughtering my bank account!

I've purchased 24 e-books since 1 July and the average cost is $7.75.
Hi Art3mis, welcome to the thread. You're among friends who understand the impulse to buy.

If you've read the first post, you'll have found the three guiding principles that we've worked out to help us.

Following these rules, my average book cost this year has been $2.15! (Admittedly, I've also bought 105 books, but that's such a large total because of the recent Georgette Heyer sale.)

Wishlists: Amazon makes this easy. Someone recommends an ebook that looks interesting. You check it on Amazon. You don't buy, but just click "Add To Wishlist".

Wait for sales and special offers for your favourite series and authors. So long as you still have a pile of ebooks to read, only buy when the ebooks are on special offer, or are a series/author your particularly follow.

There is what might be considered a slight downside to this thread. People will mention when they've "fallen off the wagon" which often, as in the Georgette Heyer case, causes others to buy. But this is a feature, not a problem. By finding out when there's an extra-special sale on, we can resist buying books at other times.

Again, welcome to the thread.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #1349
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Broke down and bought the December 2012 Webscriptions bundle (Monthly Baen Bundle I think they're calling it now.) It has a long awaited book (Darkship Renegades, by Sarah Hoyt), and several others I'm at least mildly interested in. But I have mixed feelings about buying Webscriptions these days. Inevitably, I end up spending more than if I only bought the books that I really, really would buy anyway. True, I often find good secondary books in a bundle, and the total price per book is quite reasonable. ($2.57/book, in this case), IF I would have bought all the books anyway. And I could offer a freebie to a friend, if I had any who weren't already Webscriptions readers. But I rarely would buy all the books anyway, and I've used up all my friends who are really legitimate freebie recipients (though I've got October and December coupon codes, should anyone be interested.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #1350
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Broke down and bought the December 2012 Webscriptions bundle (Monthly Baen Bundle I think they're calling it now.) It has a long awaited book (Darkship Renegades, by Sarah Hoyt), and several others I'm at least mildly interested in. But I have mixed feelings about buying Webscriptions these days. Inevitably, I end up spending more than if I only bought the books that I really, really would buy anyway. True, I often find good secondary books in a bundle, and the total price per book is quite reasonable. ($2.57/book, in this case), IF I would have bought all the books anyway. And I could offer a freebie to a friend, if I had any who weren't already Webscriptions readers. But I rarely would buy all the books anyway, and I've used up all my friends who are really legitimate freebie recipients (though I've got October and December coupon codes, should anyone be interested.)
I know what you mean. At $15 it only needed three ebooks I wanted in the month to make it an absolute bargain. At $18 it needs three books I want AND at least one other book that I would like.

I even bought an individual book instead of the monthly bundle, last month!