Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
How can Amazon not go ePub now?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #17
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
As a newcomer to ereading I can only say this sounds like good news. After trying to get familiar with all the technical aspects of e-book readers, it was very confusing to learn the differences between different formats.

To be honest, I still am lost in the format jungle and still don't know what the advantage of ePub file over, say, PDF format.

Anyway, the less different formats the better and having a big company go after one format is good way of showing the direction for others.

Another thing I don't quite get is why Amazon is not interested in ePub, as to provive ebooks in different formats. Its almost as stupid as just sticking to HD DVD only. Just look what happened with the HD DVD vs Blueray battle. The ones that made only HD DVD devices got left alone with their own brand.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #18
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of

Sigh.

I hate Adobe.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:19 AM   #19
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

Sigh.

I hate Adobe.
Then won't it be all the more fun to strip their DRM from ePubs?
Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #20
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Yippeee!!! Back to the Sony Store for me. I've bought 99% of my books from Sony from Jan 2008 to July 2008 and then I got interested in getting a 2nd reader as back-up and realized that Sony's proprietary software is a big hindrance; I've not bought a single thing from Sony since then. I stopped cold turkey and never went back. Now I will finally be able to use my Sony account again. I know a lot of people don't like their library software but I in the other hand thought it was OK. I guess it was because I used it almost exclusively for months!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:25 AM   #21
Anggun
Enthusiast
Anggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enoughAnggun will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yay!!
So, now the question is whether they'll open the bookstore to accept international credit cards.
Anggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #22
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anggun View Post
Yay!!
So, now the question is whether they'll open the bookstore to accept international credit cards.
Actually, it's fairly easy to buy books on their bookstore with ANY credit card. Just change your country of residence, and you'll be fine.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #23
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
One thing I've thought about, is how many of us would buy from Amazon if they supported epub? I know i would. I've been buying from them for years, getting my school textbooks and things. Their site tends to be easier to navigate than most of the competition, in the ebook world. However, their attitude about locking people in to their reader, is part of why I don't have a kindle.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #24
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank God I took advantage of that $100 off when trading in the 500 for the 505. I wanted to be able to buy/read epub books. That was the only way I could talk my dad into buying me the 505 for my b-day when my 500 was just over a year old and while the HD was full, my 4GB memory stick was basically empty.
I feel sorry for anyone who still has the 500. Now even the only place to buy books (I think) will no longer be available to them. I suppose this is one way Sony will be making people buy the 300 or 600.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #25
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
One thing I've thought about, is how many of us would buy from Amazon if they supported epub? I know i would. I've been buying from them for years, getting my school textbooks and things. Their site tends to be easier to navigate than most of the competition, in the ebook world. However, their attitude about locking people in to their reader, is part of why I don't have a kindle.
I don't have an account with them any longer after the whole 'homophobic censorship' thing, so it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #26
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

Sigh.

I hate Adobe.
I hate them too, but I was hoping the software will be a little different since it will connect to the Sony ebook store.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #27
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Question: What happens with the LRX books one has already bought if the new firmware does support only the epub format?

Will Sony offer a solution for that problem or will you be forced to have an older Sony still supporting LRX to be able to read your purchased books? Ah, the glory of DRM!!!

This aside, I think that Sony 's move should be applauded!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #28
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
lets not forget for the moment that epub reading on the sony 505 and 700 is TERRIBLE. so lets hope that when they start this they issue some firmware updates because their mobile ade sucks big bull... well you know.

little numbers on the side, and not supporting justification just to name 2,
have to have the html chunks in it small or it crashes the reader to name another.
on the 700 it currently only supports 4 font sizes.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:46 AM   #29
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Question: What happens with the LRX books one has already bought if the new firmware does support only the epub format?

Will Sony offer a solution for that problem or will you be forced to have an older Sony still supporting LRX to be able to read your purchased books? Ah, the glory of DRM!!!

This aside, I think that Sony 's move should be applauded!
LRX and adobe drm epub can be read side by side on the same device now.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #30
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Sony will also scrap its proprietary anticopying software in favor of proprietary anticopying technology from the software maker Adobe that restricts how often e-books can be shared or copied.
Slight edit.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote