Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
lizj
lizj began at the beginning.

Device: none
best e-readers for European resident

My understanding is that the Kindle and the Nook (and possibly others) are largely restricted to the American market. Need for US credit card, address, potential difficulty in downloading outside US etc.

What would be a good e-reader for a European resident? I would generally download books from home but would need the facility to do so outside Europe.

What is just as important to me is being able to buy the books and publications I am most interested in - which is generally British crime fiction, British magazines and newspapers. When I last researched e-readers about 18 months ago, the focus was more on US publications.

Any advice would be appreciated.
lizj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
The Kindle has its International edition now - though it seems to be primarily a matter of the wireless service that Amazon has been able to negotiate for in each country. Your purchasing rights will still be according to your mailing or delivery address on file with Amazon, though you still have to order your e-books through the US site.

What I did is to get a Sony (PRS-600) and then I registered it as being "in the US" so as to have access to the US Sony store. (Means you have to purchase with gift cards, but I have a friend in the US who buys them for me.) As it turns out, I'm not so sure that workaround was really necessary.

Thanks to the epub format, there are a number of e-bookshops available to you - from the "official" ones in the UK (Waterstones and WH Smith) to Kobo in Canada. For periodicals, I've found that the scripts provided with Calibre (an e-book management software - with its own forum right here on MR) cover all the magazines and newspapers I was reading online, without the need to subscribe.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert