Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 AM   #1
User Name
Member Retired
User Name began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hacking attempts and how the administrators deal with them

I'd like to express my severe disappointment on how the administrators of this forum handle complaints about hacking attempts.

I've got numerous attempts to hack into my account from 95.168.172.161, which belongs to the IP range of a bulletproof German provider. A complaint to this provider of course didn't help, so I sent a mail to the administrators of this forum and asked for blocking out this IP. It must be clearly visible to them from looking at the server logs, that this isn't one of the usual accidental failed logins, but an ongoing attempt to break into my account.

Guess what happened? Nothing... nothing at all.
Not even a reply which would shed a light on why nothing happens from their side.

I'm now even at a point where I'm so annoyed that I would cancel this account -- if there was a way to do that. Unfortunately there isn't.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Dear "User Name",

We have no affiliation, neither with the Internet address nor the provider you cited.

It is possible that whoever is using that particular IP is trying to login using your username ("User Name"). In most cases, this is some kind of automated bot software. My guess in your case: the bot software uses a default username which happens to be the username you picked to register here.

Please understand that there are hundreds if not thousands of bots accessing MobileRead every day, many of them trying to do some kind of mischief. It would be a futile attempt trying to ban them based on individual Internet addresses (which is what you asked us to do in your mail).

We'd be more than happy to assist you in changing your username to something different, less generic and less likely to be targeted by bot software.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
User Name
Member Retired
User Name began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Dear "User Name",
Please understand that there are hundreds if not thousands of bots accessing MobileRead every day, many of them trying to do some kind of mischief. It would be a futile attempt trying to ban them based on individual Internet addresses (which is what you asked us to do in your mail).
You're blocking access for 15 minutes after multiple failed logins already now. I don't see the technical problem to block access completely when this happens several times in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
We'd be more than happy to assist you in changing your username to something different, less generic and less likely to be targeted by bot software.
As already mentioned, I'm meanwhile at a point where I'd be already happy if you'd just delete the account.
User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
As already mentioned, I'm meanwhile at a point where I'd be already happy if you'd just delete the account.
As you wish, "User Name".
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote