Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Prince Bertram
Prince Bertram began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
JafSoft AscToRTF - A GREAT Gutenberg Book/Ascii/RTF converter

Check out the AscToRTF application by JafSoft Limited at http://www.jafsoft.com/asctortf. It does cost $60 (which is a lot) but it is a great utility for converting plain text ascii e-books from Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/ to RTF files for viewing on the new Sony® Reader PRS-500. I've only had the Sony Reader a week now, and although it "supports" plain text files they don't display well because of the fixed line endings. Before I discovered the AscToRTF application I was doing a lot of hard work in Microsoft Word trying to format the .txt files into something more readable to save as RTF format for improved reading on the PRS-500 reader. It was much too much work "searching and replacing" and doing other editing -- even using some simple macros I wrote to automate the process. Now, all the hard work is done for me - I just run a batch job on the ascii e-texts and in a few minutes I have much more readable books. I still have to spend a few minutes touching up the results created by AscToRTF in Microsoft Word (only because of the perfectionist in me), but that is nothing compared to the hours of work it has saved me. Without this great application to convert public-domain e-books in text format to a very nice "readable" RTF format for the Sony Reader - I was seriously doubting the wisdom of purchasing the Sony Reader. Check out this great application.
Prince Bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #2
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
$60? What a rip-off for a product that has been last updated in 2004.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
rcs1000
Gadget freak
rcs1000 began at the beginning.

Ummm: it doesn't seem much better than my RTF converter that's on the forums somewhere...
rcs1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
susall
susall began at the beginning.

I tried to purchase the software, but I received the silly error message "We cannot accept free e-mail addresses," just because my email address is from Yahoo. The fact is I pay for my Yahoo address, because I'm issued a lot of space, etc. What a lame policy!
susall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
susall
susall began at the beginning.

Just a follow up. The author of the AscToRtf software sent me a thoughtful reply about this. He suggested I use a PayPal account. I've done so and I hope to get a proper registration code soon.
susall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2006, 03:08 AM   #6
JazZi
JazZi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2; Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by susall
Just a follow up. The author of the AscToRtf software sent me a thoughtful reply about this. He suggested I use a PayPal account. I've done so and I hope to get a proper registration code soon.
You're joking, right?
JazZi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
lint
Enthusiast
lint has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
im thinking this original poster was the author...why on earth anyone would pay for software like this is beond me (no offense susall).

-lint
lint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
...why on earth anyone would pay for software like this is beond me....
To encourage future software availability, both from this author and from others that see they can actually get compensated for their work, perhaps?

Kinda like paying for ebooks even though you can get free bootleg copies of them.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #9
Prince Bertram
Prince Bertram began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
JafSoft AscToRTF Application - No Regrets Here!

Each individual can make their own assessment as to whether or not this program is worth the $60 it sells for. All I can say is that it does the job for me and I have been very happy with it. I understand that there are other macros, scripts, and applications out there that can do similar things and that is fine. For me, AscToRTF has been the easiest and most accurate ascii to .rtf conversion process I have used and the amount of time it has saved me is well worth the $60. Those of you with lots of time and the appropriate knowledge and skill can no doubt save $60.

Just a couple of clarifications 1) I'm not the author of the application nor do I know the author 2) I e-mailed the author suggesting he consider charging less for the application and his response was reasonable - this application is geared towards application developers (not individuals) that need to convert a large amount of text data using a batch process 3) There are independent reviews of this program that are very positive as to its functionality and value - check those out first. 4) There is a demo mode – try it – either you will like it or you won’t – decide for yourself!

It is easy to criticize a product based on price. It is even easier to criticize a product one does not own or that one has no use for. But for some, this product might be of use, which is the reason I brought it to the attention of this forum.

-Prince Bertram
Prince Bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:42 AM   #10
winner
winner began at the beginning.

I am use RTF TO XML Converter by Novosoft LLC. I’d like to recommend you this converter. It is very powerful and easy to use.
Also RTF TO XML evaluation version is provided with 30 days trial period. You may read more about it on this page: http://www.rtf-to-xml.com
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #11
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Go to www.manybooks.net !!!

Download Gutenberg books in the format you like !
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:29 AM   #12
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
I assume you know about wordpad that is included with all Windows installs?

Can take in stock text and out put as rtf? Just wondering...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote