Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Android Tablets Are Slowly Catching Up To iPad

Quote:
Apple shipped 9.3 million iPads during the second quarter, its share of tablet sales falling to 61 percent, down from 94 percent registered during the same period of 2010, according to Strategy Analytics. However, “no Android vendor yet offers a blockbuster model to rival the iPad, and demand for many Android vendors’ products remains patch,” said Director Neil Mawston.

Overall, global tablet shipments reached 15 million units, a 331 percent increase over the second quarter of last year. Android-based tablets from Samsung, Motorola and others led a steep market share increase for the Google software, rising to 30.1 percent of the worldwide market, up from just 2.9 percent in 2010, according to the research firm.
http://www.cultofmac.com/android-tab...to-ipad/105608
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I will not read your trolling, you are in my ignore list, but will just say that many android tablets were ahead of iPad before they were released, particularly in resolution, storage, video display capability, cameras and ability to install and manage your tablet as you want.

If there is any "catching up" to do it's the other way around.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I will not read your trolling, you are in my ignore list ...
Actually Rock's post was pro-Android.

And he resisted pointing out that the article is based on shipments rather than sales, so in the interests of balance, and as an Android fan, I'll admit that the picture is rosier for Apple than the article suggests. My impression from the volumes posted is that Apple are selling most of their iPads while the majority of the Android manufacturers are struggling, Asus and Samsung probably being the key exceptions.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it was trolling because it stated an untrue fact (the subject) intended to cause argumentative reaction. As I said, from the beginning most android tablets had higher resolution and more features than the fruity competition.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:35 AM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
You're talking about hardware while he's talking about market share. And no, he's actually not trolling.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
kennyc

Ok, my misunderstanding then - Sorry.

As I said he's on my ignore list, so I do not see the posting, I'm just going by known behavior.

Here's the Actual Text of the article (its title as well as the title of this thread is misleading. It should have mentioned market share or sales or something):

Android Tablets Are Sloooooooowly Catching Up To iPad

By Ed Sutherland (9:21 am, Jul. 21, 2011)

Despite sliding almost 30 percent, Apple’s iPad still leads triple-digit growth in tablet demand, finds research released Thursday. Android-based rivals, although growing to 30 percent of tablet sales, still offer only ‘patchy’ alternatives.

Apple shipped 9.3 million iPads during the second quarter, its share of tablet sales falling to 61 percent, down from 94 percent registered during the same period of 2010, according to Strategy Analytics. However, “no Android vendor yet offers a blockbuster model to rival the iPad, and demand for many Android vendors’ products remains patch,” said Director Neil Mawston.

Overall, global tablet shipments reached 15 million units, a 331 percent increase over the second quarter of last year. Android-based tablets from Samsung, Motorola and others led a steep market share increase for the Google software, rising to 30.1 percent of the worldwide market, up from just 2.9 percent in 2010, according to the research firm.

Microsoft led that growth, controlling nearly five percent of the tablet market, up from nothing in 2010. RIM’s QNX-powered PlayBook tablet captured just 3.3 percent of the market after what Strategy Analytics described as a “lackluster launch” hurt by design issues.

The rumored entry of Amazon into the tablet market “will bring fresh excitement and buzz” to Android rivals, however the Kindle maker needs to “deliver a truly standout offering if it really wants to make headway against the popular iPad,” Mawston concludes.

Last edited by kennyc; 07-22-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Ok, my misunderstanding then - Sorry.

As I said he's on my ignore list, so I do not see the posting, I'm just going by known behavior.

[/I]
Sad, but true.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Actually Rock's post was pro-Android.
Thank you.

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
We interrupt this thread for the below message.
Moderator Notice

STOP IT.

This has gone on long enough in this and other threads between certain members. Place the threads and or member(s) on "Ignore" and DO SO. That means that you do NOT post that you have done so, that member(s) is on your "Ignore" list NOR on someone else's list, that you do NOT post that member is a "troll" or "trolling", or _even_ respond to that member's post with any other derogatory comments.

There is a larger membership that prefers to NOT be subject to these posts and unfriendly behaviors by a certain small group of other members who do not know when to just "Ignore". If you so wish, you may "report" a member or post, but that does not mean you may respond to continue a disagreement.

This is a warning to those involved: Continuing the above behavior will result in suspension of posting on MobileRead.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote