Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #16
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdb View Post
It seems ok to me. Hopefully this will work...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/60302923.jpg/

some modern art for you.
Man, you have made my day! Thank you so much.
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #17
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdb View Post
I just received my M90 today (it was in the second batch from Onyx Europe).

I did some Scribbles and could not see any problem with it so maybe they've fixed it.
No problem with the wacon pen for my device too.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #18
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
The deadspot is not solved at all despite upgraded to newer firmware. I supposed one needs a physical magnetic shield to get it work.
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #19
Airstrip1
Airstrip1 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M90
Hi all,

I can confirm the blind spot issue. I pre-ordered mine, so I guess it was from the early batches.

Good news: Onyx has released a firmware version 1.5.1 20110818, that is supposed to fix the issue :-)

Bad news: The firmware update doesn't fix it :-( ... At least not for my device, maybe you will have better luck.
Airstrip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #20
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I do not have the device but, really how can a hardware problem be fixed by a software update. A magnetic field is not something you can block/shield in software
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I do not have the device but, really how can a hardware problem be fixed by a software update. A magnetic field is not something you can block/shield in software
Software is used to compensate for non-ideal hardware all the time.

If there is a 1 to 1 mapping of detected location to actual location, software can "fix" the problem. That is a big if, but it might be true.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Software is used to compensate for non-ideal hardware all the time.

If there is a 1 to 1 mapping of detected location to actual location, software can "fix" the problem. That is a big if, but it might be true.
by my understanding a blind spot means that the screen does not detect the pen in that area when the pen goes over it. I don't see how by using the one to one mapping you can compensate that. You might try to eventually anticipate and interpolate the trajectory of the pen tip and try to light up the pixels when the pen traverses the area but...it is not that easy...
The software will know the point where the trajectory/pen track enters the area and the exit point from that area (blind spot). What the writer wanted to do in that area, especially if the area is big, it is difficult to guess and for that reason impossible to simulate.. my 2c
Old 09-24-2011, 06:11 AM   #23
Airstrip1

Quote:
Is it confirmed that it is a magnetic issue? It sounds reasonable as the blind spot is placed where the, so called speaker, is placed on the other side of the device. But I would hate opening the device, and voiding the warranty, just to find out it didn't help shielding/removing the speaker. So if you could provide a reference to the magnetic issue I would be grateful

If it is not a magnetic issue, a made up reason could be that the blind spot is the origo of the detection. If the hw is non linear and the sw value precision is too crude, it could generate a blind spot near origo. But this is only a example on how sw could solve a blind spot issue, I have NO idea how this hw/sw actually works.

Quote:
by my understanding a blind spot means that the screen does not detect the pen in that area when the pen goes over it.
You are correct. Lines drawn near the blind spot gets deformed, but inside the blind spot, nothing is detected.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #24
PF4Mobile
Guru

It seemed an accepted fact that the blind spot is due to the presence of the speaker. If that is wrong I am wrong. it seems to be hardware sincve everybody sees the same blind spot (the same position) It the problem is in hardware I don't see how it can be fixed with a better firmware
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #25
initx
Enthusiast

Hi all. I had a small phone call today with our local dealer (here in Budapest, Hungary) and they told that they have now a new generation of M90, manufactured by the end of August. The manufacturer has just resolved the blind spot issue, the wacom pen (namely, screen refresh rate) is incredibly fast, and they also improved the IR button problem, although the device does have the same hardware as before. I will go to the shop this week and wanna try the machine. I might have buy one.

I had a lot time to think of the problem: e-ink or tablet???? (Currently I have both, a 6" Hanlin V3 and a 7" Galaxy Tab.) I have read several articles on the web, that tablets do NOT strain eyes if used properly. But, finally I have the personal experience that a passive screen would be much better than an active one. So, finally I might go with the Onyx Boox M90. Will be back with some details as far as I have checked the device personally.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
@initx
How much do you thrust that dealer ? It seems to me the it's saying the same bla, bla in order to convince the client to buy. It's just too good to believe that Onyx fixed just like that all of them (the blind spot, IR button, speed) and from now on everything will be perfect. Anyway I'm waiting your review .
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #27
initx
Enthusiast

Unfortunately I haven't got time yet to visit the dealer's shop, but I plan to! And will write you a review.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #28
Airstrip1

Just for the record, it was the speaker that was causing the blind spot. Without it, no blind spot.
Thanks PF4Mobile for your 2c.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #29
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
Question

so what, did you remove the speaker?
Was it hard to disassemble the device?
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #30
Airstrip1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirys View Post
so what, did you remove the speaker?
Was it hard to disassemble the device?
Yes, I removed the speaker. The device is not hard to disassemble or reassemble again, just two screws at the bottom of the device. The speaker is attached with double sided tape and connected to the circuit board with a connector, so there is no problem to reattach it again if I would change my mind. But I doubt I will miss the speaker...

Last edited by Airstrip1; 10-10-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Typo