Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
GollyJer
Edge User

eInk handwriting responsiveness

I'm fairly satisfied with my pocket edge but a couple things are keeping me from being completely happy. Handwriting on the eInk is laggy. I've read the tips here in the forum to improve responsiveness; the most useful being "turn off all the paper features and use an empty, unlined screen". But, they don't really solve the issue. Writing on my iPad is as responsive as could be asked for but having to use the ridiculously huge stylus tips and multi-touch wrist writing on the screen is pretty annoying. I was hoping the eDge would be the end all be all... not quite. :-(

I'm pretty sure it can't be expected, but does anyone think the 2.2 release will improve handwriting response? I'm a little worried that it can only have the opposite affect.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

The more likely solution is for enTourage to optimize the eInk software, which is written by them. enTourage has done some amazing things in the past in speeding various things up by releasing patches. Android, as the operating system, isn't really involved here from what I understand.

You should also go into the Journal Preferences and enable "Quick Draw". This will give a dark black line when writing and when you save or tap "Refresh", the line will be redrawn at the designated thickness and colour (and higher quality). I think this option is on by default though.

In any case, I think if you focus on writing and not on looking at the ink that you may be able to ignore the lag.

Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Dr. T
Edge User

A while back, TS told me this was one of the major thrusts of the reader team's current work. They wanted to improve the UI and the speed of the response. Based on what they told me, I'd expect to see some pretty major updates on the reader side over the next 3-4 months... please don't take this as fact, though... I'm just estimating based on what TS suggested when we spoke

Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
A while back, TS told me this was one of the major thrusts of the reader team's current work. They wanted to improve the UI and the speed of the response. Based on what they told me, I'd expect to see some pretty major updates on the reader side over the next 3-4 months... please don't take this as fact, though... I'm just estimating based on what TS suggested when we spoke
Maybe it'll be an eDGe "Birthday Gift", seeing as the EE will be one year old come January.