Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #46
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
In the midst of all the hubbub on the new jetBook firmware, I decided to instead try the 0.15k Libre firmware on the jetBook. I made the same patch as before (download link).

Good news:
-ePUB files load vastly quicker than with the jetBook firmware. This may be due to the jetBook directory bug / hourglass of death.
-PDF Table of Contents now work! Yay!

Other observations (ePUB issues):
-Sometimes the page numbers are displayed in a small white margin on the right... other times, they mash STRAIGHT into the book text! I cannot tell why this is... for me, it varies from book to book. Kinda annoying, but not that big of a deal.
-ePUB images are sized very randomly. I can't seem to figure it out. The title page fits nicely in the screen, but all other images are zoomed at something like 400%, so that I see a small piece of the image, but nothing else.

Is there a way to change a book's settings regarding left or full justification?
I might try format shifting some books to see if it reads them with FBReader as I like the PDF capabilities very much, but think that the jetBook was doing ePUB much better.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #47
youssef
youssef began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
In the midst of all the hubbub on the new jetBook firmware, I decided to instead try the 0.15k Libre firmware on the jetBook. I made the same patch as before (download link).

Good news:
-ePUB files load vastly quicker than with the jetBook firmware. This may be due to the jetBook directory bug / hourglass of death.
-PDF Table of Contents now work! Yay!

Other observations (ePUB issues):
-Sometimes the page numbers are displayed in a small white margin on the right... other times, they mash STRAIGHT into the book text! I cannot tell why this is... for me, it varies from book to book. Kinda annoying, but not that big of a deal.
-ePUB images are sized very randomly. I can't seem to figure it out. The title page fits nicely in the screen, but all other images are zoomed at something like 400%, so that I see a small piece of the image, but nothing else.

Is there a way to change a book's settings regarding left or full justification?
I might try format shifting some books to see if it reads them with FBReader as I like the PDF capabilities very much, but think that the jetBook was doing ePUB much better.
is there a way that can make this firmware work on jetbook lite ?
youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #48
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could try it with the Lite, but I don't recommend it. No sense in risking ruining your device.

Anyway, I figured out some of my "beefs" with ePUB are just differences between ADE and FBReader. I have to set a margin with Calibre to allow for the page numbers on the side... no such need with FBReader, so my margins were 0pt all around. And the images -- they will display OK if the zoom is set to 100% (with the side effect of the font becoming minuscule). Odd.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #49
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Kralik, are there any other differences in the K version? Such as do the left and right arrow buttons work now as page back/forward like the jetBook? And are font sizes any better than the previous version?
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #50
Kralik
Guru

The PDF Table of Contents bug is fixed, which, coupled with reflow, is a strong reason for me to want to keep using it.

Font size selection is the same as the jetBook is you are reading something other than ePUB/PDF. In that case, the Libre uses FBReader. For ePUB, you get varied zoom levels. For me, "200%" seems a bit big and "150%" a bit small. 175% would be perfect, but I just read with 200% and more page turns.

Arrow keys do not turn pages (perhaps they do in FBReader, but I don't have any non-ePUB to check right now). Funny--I didn't notice, because I am in the habit of using the buttons in the lower left since I read quite a few PDF's and that's what they use on the jetBook.

Page numbers on the side is irritating, but I guess this is what ADE users have been putting up with for a while. Just ask JSWolf what he thinks about it.
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #51
ConfoundedJoe
ConfoundedJoe began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook (li-ion)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
So I tried to flash but it starts the file transfer and after a few seconds it fails. If I drop the "ebook-" it fails immediately. Any suggestions?
ConfoundedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #52
Kralik
Guru

Are you using the patched firmware from the link above, or Aluratek's firmware from their site? Immediate failure is indicative of the wrong filename. Partial failure means it isn't passing Aluratek's checks to see if it's a real Libre. Maybe I accidentally uploaded the stock firmware -- I'll check.

EDIT: Looks alright. What jetBook version are you coming from? I know that the newer ones (perhaps 0.34b/c) were having trouble flashing to any other firmware.

Last edited by Kralik; 01-26-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #53
ConfoundedJoe

I am using b. Should I flash down and retry?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #54
ConfoundedJoe

Apparently I can't?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #55
Kralik
Guru

I would try to flash down to 0.33g, which is the official firmware from Ectaco. (I am hesitant to use 0.34b myself, because they have not truly released it). If it turns out you can't flash back, then 0.34b will have to be patched.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #56
Kralik
Guru

I figured out what needs to be done to allow flashing down to 0.33g from either 0.34b or the Libre firmware. It's checking for a certain empty file (JL04 or JL09) which can easily be added.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #57
wackywalt
wackywalt began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bberry View Post
Thanks for the firmware! I verified it on my end that it can be decrypted and confirm that the empty file JL09 is the only change to the original jetBook fw 0.33h.

I believe that Aluratek have added the check for JL09 (timestamp is Oct-30-09) around version 0.15. So my Aluratek Libre v0.15j/h/e could not be upgraded to a jetBook firmware simply by renaming the firmware file.

With this modified firmware, the upgrade went smoothly.

For me, the main reason to upgrade was the Russian support in the jetBook firmware. With your help, the mission is accomplished.

Special thanks to Kralik and sobkas!
I flashed my Aluratek Libre (0.15k) to jetBook firmware 0.33h. I wanted the dictionaries and the paging ability with left and right cursor that I have on the JBL.

Thank you tselling and Kralik!!!
wackywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #58
wackywalt
wackywalt began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook Lite
Got a friend of mine to also flash his Libre to jetBook.
One thing I forgot to mention, after flashing the Libre to jetBook, I got some funky language to come up on the main and subsequent menus.

I got English restored as the language by:
select the last item on the main menu "icon with wrench".
Hit [2] for System Settings
Hit [6] for Restore Defaults
Hit [OK].
You should English now.
wackywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #59
bberry
bberry began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackywalt View Post
I flashed my Aluratek Libre (0.15k) to jetBook firmware 0.33h. I wanted the dictionaries and the paging ability with left and right cursor that I have on the JBL.

Thank you tselling and Kralik!!!
After one month of using the device, my route has just went to the dead end. Literally. The reader is dead for all practical reasons. It can start but does not go beyond the boot screen with the JB logo. I don't know what can be done to fix the thing, my search for a solution did not bring any suggestions.
bberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 AM   #60
bberry
bberry began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackywalt View Post
Got a friend of mine to also flash his Libre to jetBook.
One thing I forgot to mention, after flashing the Libre to jetBook, I got some funky language to come up on the main and subsequent menus.
It was Polish.
bberry is offline   Reply With Quote