Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
giacecco
giacecco began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Does the memory stick slot work for you? I replaced my PRS-600 already once!

All, I bought my PRS-600 in London from a Waterstones retail shop. Two days afterward I remembered to check if a memory stick I once used with my previous PRS-505 worked... and it didn't. The 600 did not even realise I inserted the card!

I brought back the unit to the store, thinking it was defective, and got a replacement... and the new one has exactly the same problem! The Waterstones guys were very kind btw.

I struggle to believe that I got two defective units in a row. Did you try your memory sticks as well? Mine is an 8Gb Pro Duo with MagicGate.

Giacecco

Last edited by giacecco; 10-19-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Mistypo
giacecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have a 4GB memory stick in mine.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I think that's why they pulled them off the shelves here in the states 2 days after they put them out. You must've gotten a batch that needed the firmware patch. I'd call Sony and find out what's up. They may just give you the firmware patch that has corrected the problem.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Have you tried inserting a different memory stick also? It might just be the formatting of your stick is incompatible, or even that it is simply broken. Two broken readers in a row sounds somewhat implausible.

Also, how do you figure the device does not even recognise the stick? Does it not show up in the cardreader slots when you connect the device to a PC / Mac, or is it a matter of not seeing the books stored on there? In the latter case, there have been similar reports of users with a PRS-700 who had to format their memory card and reupload their books to their PRS-600 before it recognised them.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
mumoo
mumoo began at the beginning.

Device: prs600
It's a compatible issue. You can refer to my thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57003
mumoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #6
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
In the latter case, there have been similar reports of users with a PRS-700 who had to format their memory card and reupload their books to their PRS-600 before it recognised them.
I hadn't heard of that. I move my cards around my readers all the time. Because my beau and I use all of the readers, I was thinking of keeping our own books on our own cards since they seem to hold the bookmarks as well.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I hadn't heard of that. I move my cards around my readers all the time. Because my beau and I use all of the readers, I was thinking of keeping our own books on our own cards since they seem to hold the bookmarks as well.
I was referring to this thread, though that might have been an isolated instance; alas I cannot test it myself since I only have a PRS-600. Seems plausible though, as the devices all have different capabilities I would expect this to reflect in the way they store information.

Last edited by FragFrog; 10-20-2009 at 08:05 AM.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
memory stick