Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #211
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Still confused about Karma

I have some questions about Karma that unfortunately aren't made clear (to me at least) either in NatCh's post, or in the Karma Wiki entry.

Those sources make it sound as if you can just "tap" someone. But it's not that easy. When I click the little Karma button, I get a screen that looks like this:

I can fill in a comment. Great. But if I leave it as such and then click "Add to Reputation", I get this warning:

OK, this confuses me on multiple levels.

First, the original screen said that fine tuning my reputation clout was optional. But since the default is 1, which is not allowed, it's not optional at all.

Second, the warning that comes up says "give (or take)", implying that it is possible for me to take away karma, which this thread (and some others I found while searching) says I cannot.

Third, I have no clue on what grounds I should fine tune my reputation clout or what it means to do so. Over the past few days, I have changed this number from anywhere from 2 to 10000 while giving karma. While I understand that it's up to me to decide to use the karma feature, I don't really understand what the consequence of my picking a particular number is. It's not mentioned in the formula NatCh gave or in the Wiki.

Am I just terminally slow, or is this kinda confusing? All I want to do is spread some love!

thanks,
- frabjous (Penny Pincher)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #212
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hey penny pincher ! you appear to have stumbled upon a bug in the karma ointment. the minimum you can give is 2 points, however the maximum you can give increases depending on a number of factors (which you saw in natch's post, i'm sure). since you are new it's possible that you haven't yet built up any karma clout, which means your default (and therefore maximum : you can't give *more* than your default, only less if you choose) karma thwack is 1 point, which the system won't allow. it's a pickle ! so i'm going to thwack you myself in hopes that will bump your default up at least to 2 points, so you can give karma as you see fit. i'm also going to signal this post to alex, because that is just silly.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #213
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Thanks, Zelda. The default still comes up as "1" even now that you've given me 40 karmic points (thanks)--which I think is what my clout should be, given the formula, but yeah, I agree, this is silly. We newbies should have at least a little clout!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #214
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

your clout should increase quickly (it goes up with time you've been a member, posts, and your own karma number, if memory serves), and it's the thought that counts more than the number ; a lot of us are really pleased to get tiny karma thwacks from newbies because it's a sign we helped someone out. but hopefully we can change the starting number to 2 at least. it's pretty pointless to have the default be 1, if the system won't accept that...
Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #215
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As I remember, it will allow 1 point as long as you never touch the field. Thus if you add the comment and click "Add to Reputation" it should work. If you fiddle with the number (even if you leave it as 1) you will invoke the dial-a-karma checker that demands that you give at least two. (It also adjusts what you give -- unless you give all you can give -- to a round number.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #216
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I know when you have more than one karma to give it will let you increse that number, even though it has no effect on the karma you actually give - would that work in this case?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #217
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Thank you for the generous thought, frabjous.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #218
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I know when you have more than one karma to give it will let you increse that number, even though it has no effect on the karma you actually give - would that work in this case?
yes, a test has proven that it does indeed work. you're very clever.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:52 AM   #219
frabjous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
As I remember, it will allow 1 point as long as you never touch the field. Thus if you add the comment and click "Add to Reputation" it should work.
No, it doesn't work. That's what I've been trying. I never even tried fiddling with the number until it forced me to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Yes, that does seem to work to bypass the minimum of 2 even when you can only actually give 1... though it's still a really confusing system, especially for us newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Thank you for the generous thought, frabjous.
IIRC, I was trying to give you karma about advice on cleaning screens on Sony 505s. I'll give you karma for this one instead... albeit my lonely 1 point.

Last edited by frabjous; 02-19-2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #220
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I gave frabjous karma, but more than the pitiful little 40 points that the Queen eked out. I'm just more generous that way!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #221
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I gave frabjous karma, but more than the pitiful little 40 points that the Queen eked out. I'm just more generous that way!

...and modest
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #222
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I know, you're a great person and if I have any doubts about it I'm sure you will tell me I'm wrong.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #223
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
...and modest
Well, that goes without saying.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #224
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I know, you're a great person and if I have any doubts about it I'm sure you will tell me I'm wrong.
I like to keep my adoring public informed.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #225
frabjous
Wizard

Calooh! Callay! My clout is now four... I don't need to change the field, and I can be a karma-giving maniac like the rest of you.

Thanks to all that helped.

EDIT: Hey, I'm also a "member" not a "junior member". Watch out, everyone.

Last edited by frabjous; 02-19-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Tags
focking, lefty