Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
My Next Project: XMMS

The current solution for playing MP3's on the iLiad is far from ideal. So I started to look at other options. XMMS takes me back to the days of the old WinAmp. It's clean, it's simple, and it's GTK based.

It runs. I can't seem to get it to play mp3's just yet. But here's a teaser...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mms.png
Views:	661
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	2948  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Gorgeous teaser, Adam!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

One question, how do you guys get these screenshots of the iLiad? Is this off the developer software?
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by firekat
One question, how do you guys get these screenshots of the iLiad? Is this off the developer software?
It's a program called fbshot. You can find it in the wiki.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
The current solution for playing MP3's on the iLiad is far from ideal.
Oh, yes this is true.
Adam B., thanks for the nice teaser, it shows promise.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Does anyone know what kind of sound mixer the iLiad uses? Alsa, OSS, Direct sound?
Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
Does anyone know what kind of sound mixer the iLiad uses? Alsa, OSS, Direct sound?
Don't know anything about this... but just to make sure that you know: There is a working MP3 player for iliad, madplay. Perhaps you could get some hints by looking at its source code? Check the forums if you didn't know about this.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Adam, do you have an Amazon wishlist, or something?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
Adam, do you have an Amazon wishlist, or something?

No, no Amazon wishlist. I don't really care for donations either... I'm just happy to be providing iLiad users with software that'll really use the power of this device. I'd like to see those sony people look up words in a dictionary. Besides, all of this helps with my paperless life goal.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Your altruism is commendable Adam. Thanks again for the effort!
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, we can still always say "thanks" with karma.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
yep indeed.

Adam B. has taken Scotty's place as Iliad developer...a real pity that iRex took so long to release the full sources.

Just imagine what Adam AND Scotty could have done...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
yep indeed.

Adam B. has taken Scotty's place as Iliad developer...a real pity that iRex took so long to release the full sources.

I wouldn't go that far... Scotty did a lot of coding and improvements. I can make minor tweaks, and put together the necessary libraries to compile software for the iLiad. I'm just an enthusiastic Linux geek who loves his iLiad. I'm not much of a developer. That being said, I do appreciate the kind words. I'm just glad to give back.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
yep indeed.

Well, I still hope Scotty comes back. Perhaps he just felt a bit lonely doing all the work by himself. Now with Adam at his side, it could be the Dream Team of E-Readers
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:35 AM   #15
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Getting this thread back on track....

After fighting with XMMS for a while, I've decided to give up on it. The interface isn't really all that good on a screen like the iliad's, and I could never get it to actually play anything.

So I started to think about other linux MP3 players, and came to the iPod Linux project. I have this on my ipod, and it uses a program called MPD (http://www.musicpd.org/) to play music. It's a very lightweight daemon that runs in the background that provides all of the music functions. Best of all, it support *many* different front end clients. http://www.musicpd.org/clients.shtml

I've got MPD compiled and working. It hardly uses any resources while it's running and playing. Best of all, because it's a background process, it can keep playing while you read a book or take notes.

My biggest obstacle at this point is finding a suitable front end client. There are a few GTK based applications, however they all require libglade. The one that I think would work the best, is Gimmix (http://gimmix.berlios.de/screenshots.php). All of the gtk based clients will compile fine, but when I try to run them from the iLiad, they complain of a “undefined symbol: g_object_ref_sink in libglade-2.0.so.0” I’ve downloaded the newest version of libglade, installed it, used the updated library, and the problem still exists. Solving this would make my life much easier…

There are a few other clients that use python. I started work on porting python, but forgot my iLiad at home today. I’ll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by Adam B.; 03-21-2007 at 09:38 AM.