Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Kindle Unlimited launched in Canada and Mexico

Amazon have just launched Kindle Unlimited in their Canadian store:

"Enjoy unlimited reading from over 750,000 titles on any device for just CDN$ 9.99 a month."

That's just US$8 according to current rate of exchange.

Kindle Unlimited at Amazon Canada

Kindle Unlimited also launched in Mexico today for 129 pesos (US$8.60) a month.

Kindle Unlimited at Amazon Mexico

Venture Beat article

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-13-2015 at 04:44 AM. Reason: clarity for front page
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I'm glad that Canada has Kindle Unlimited now.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
But, do we have access to the same titles as the U.S. or will the stupidity that is geoblocking make a subscription mostly useless up here? That is the question.
Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I'm wondering how it will work for those of us in Canada who have chosen to keep our libraries in Amazon.com, rather than transferring them over to Amazon.ca. I guess I'll find out when I get back to Canada, unless someone here tests it out sooner and posts back.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
When you publish Independently, doesn't it ask you if you have 'world rights'? All the Independent titles should be available in Canada unless the author/publisher excludes it, which is unlikely. I think Independent books make up the bulk of KU.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I'm curious as to how this works. I glanced at the page, but from what I gather, it's impossible to read anything from here on a non Kindle ebook reader. (Not counting apps on various tablets, of course). For anyone who knows, am I correct in assuming that this is a cloud based service without actual downloads? If it's worthwhile, I'd consider investing in a Kindle, but as it stands for me, using a Sony 650, there's no way to utilize this.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I'm curious as to how this works. I glanced at the page, but from what I gather, it's impossible to read anything from here on a non Kindle ebook reader. (Not counting apps on various tablets, of course). For anyone who knows, am I correct in assuming that this is a cloud based service without actual downloads? If it's worthwhile, I'd consider investing in a Kindle, but as it stands for me, using a Sony 650, there's no way to utilize this.
No, not cloud-based.
You get actual downloads.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201550630

Kindles are on sale for Valentine's Day.
The paperwhite is a pretty good deal.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...d_i=B00I15SB16

Last edited by fjtorres; 02-12-2015 at 04:17 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
trainboy
trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Also in Mexico

Kindle Unlimited also launched in Mexico today.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/12/am...-third-market/
trainboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:08 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
But, do we have access to the same titles as the U.S. or will the stupidity that is geoblocking make a subscription mostly useless up here? That is the question.
The collections seem pretty similar. I did a quick check of Kindle Unlimited books and there were 863,249 available at amazon.com, 846,814 at amazon.ca and 838,178 at amazon.co.uk.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #10
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
I signed up for the 30 day free trial. So far I'm disappointed to find that most of the authors whose work in familiar with aren't included in the Unlimited collection (At least not in the SciFi genre). But perhaps this will force me to broaden my horizons and try out some unknown (to me) authors.
Croptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Kindle Unlimited books are just like any other kindle books, except in terms of how you pay for them and how long you get to read them.

Like a library loan or Kindle Owners Lending Library (Prime members) you can check out x books at a time and download+read on your device. Unlike KOLL, that is not restricted to branded devices, but includes the apps.

For obvious reasons, reading on your Sony would require DeDRM tools, but since you don't actually own the books, you shouldn't be doing that.

Last edited by eschwartz; 02-12-2015 at 09:32 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Kindle Unlimited books are just like any other kindle books, except in terms of how you pay for them and how long you get to read them.

Like a library loan or Kindle Owners Lending Library (Prime members) you can check out x books at a time and download+read on your device. Unlike KOLL, that is not restricted to branded devices, but includes the apps.

For obvious reasons, reading on your Sony would require DeDRM tools, but since you don't actually own the books, you shouldn't be doing that.
Yeah, same as library books, which are the only form of DRM in ebooks that I find acceptable. That's why I'd get a Kindle if I thought that the Unlimited program was worthwhile.
Thanks for the responses , guys.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I'm wondering how it will work for those of us in Canada who have chosen to keep our libraries in Amazon.com, rather than transferring them over to Amazon.ca. I guess I'll find out when I get back to Canada, unless someone here tests it out sooner and posts back.
I wondered that as well so I checked. You will have to transfer your Kindle account over to amazon.ca to take advantage of Kindle Unlimited in Canada. I get an error message saying the service is unavailable in my country when I click on Kindle Unlimited in my amazon.com account (with Canada as my country). On my amazon.ca account (not linked with my devices) I get an offer for a free trial.

I never moved my Kindle account over to amazon.ca since staying at amazon.com allows me to get reduced price matching whispersync audiobooks through Audible when I buy the Kindle ebook first. I'd rather get cheap Audible audiobooks than Kindle Unlimited so I'll stay put. I do have access to an excellent public library so subscription ebooks aren't that attractive to me.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Croptop
Groupie
Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Croptop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Pixel 8 Pro
Two weeks in and I'm struggling to find enough books that I'm interested in reading to justify the subscription cost. I suspect that I will not be keeping Kindle Unlimited beyond the free trial period.
Croptop is online now   Reply With Quote