Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Convert fields extend beyond window

On the off chance I'm missing a setting I'll post this here first. Whenever I go to convert a book the editable fields all extend beyond the window. See attached.

It didn't use to be this way, but I am unsure when this started. All of the editable fields in the preference windows open within the given space.

Windows XP sp3 (all updates current)
Calibre 0.7.8
Screen Display 1600x1050
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convert_metadata.png
Views:	224
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	54971   Click image for larger version

Name:	convert_look_feel.png
Views:	214
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	54972  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-13-2010 at 09:44 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
On the off chance I'm missing a setting I'll post this here first. Whenever I go to convert a book the editable fields all extend beyond the window. See attached.

It didn't use to be this way, but I am unsure when this started. All of the editable fields in the preference windows open within the given space.

Windows XP sp3 (all updates current)
Calibre 0.7.8
Screen Display 1600x1050
Notice the Scroll bars (H and V) in the field pane. Do you have a Dual head system?

I filed a bug because when I had my Primary, set 768x1024 (portrait, Left side) and my 20" wide-screen as Secondary. The detached cover browser used the Primary Aspect and resolution even though it (and Calibre) was opened on the Secondary. Resolution: Won't fix. (probably a feature of one of the packages used by Calibre)

I made use of a quirk of 2K/XP, that if you change which monitor is Primary with the desktop still extended, the taskbar and Icons remain as they were.

With this in place , that the cover browser behaves, but I also noticed that the Book Viewer now opens half off the Right side of the widescreen and I always have to drag it back. (appears to be fixed in 7.8)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can you post a screenshot of the structure detection section, I think the problem is there.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Can you post a screenshot of the structure detection section, I think the problem is there.
The problem is in every window of the conversion area. I actually first noticed it in the debug window when I kept having to scroll over to select the browse folders button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Notice the Scroll bars (H and V) in the field pane. Do you have a Dual head system?
No, just one monitor and only one monitor displayed/designated in the display properties
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	convert_structure_detection.png
Views:	198
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	55030   Click image for larger version

Name:	debug.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	55034  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-13-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm looks ok, strange. I've made some changes that should help (at least it doesn't happen for me on windows XP), so try the next release.
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Hmm looks ok, strange. I've made some changes that should help (at least it doesn't happen for me on windows XP), so try the next release.
I just tried an old configuration on a test library that I haven't played with in some time, same install of calibre (0.7.8), and this is not happening with this config. Is there one file I could copy from the config that works to the config that doesn't work that might bring things back in line? Would having any of the config files help in the T/S effort?

Update: Just for fun I swapped out the entire configuration and even using the older configuration that works for the other library, my main library still exhibited the strange behavior in the conversion windows.

I would guess this means it is something in the Metadata.db?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-12-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Does it happen for every book or just a specific one
Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Does it happen for every book or just a specific one
It happens on every book, but if I run a different configuration and library all is well.

I am going to take my main library, save it to disk then add it back into a fresh location to see if it makes a difference. The only thing I'll lose are 2 custom columns that I have no stake in.

Let me mess with it a while. It doesn't seem to affect anyone else yet.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

For the below discussion I am using the original configuration (that was causing me problems) for all libraries.

I saved my entire library to disk (covers, opf and 99.9% epub files) then created a new library and added them back and the conversion screens still ran off the edge.

So I created another new library and just added one book. The conversion screen was normal. I added back the "A" authors (221 books), quit calibre and restarted, the conversion screens still looks good.

I'm going to continue on, but could one book somehow be responsible for the conversion screens running off the edge for every book?

Time to turn in. I'll add more books and keep tabs.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

@Kovid I completed adding in the authors who's last names start "A" and "B" after each addition I tested the conversion window and it was still within the screen limits.

I just added another 200 books for the Authors who's last name started with "C" and the conversion fields exceeded the window again. I just removed the "C" authors and this fixed it. Once I figure out what book(s) is causing this I'll let you know.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Ok this mystery is solved. It turns out if you have metadata for either Publisher or Series that is longer then the window in the conversion area that the fields will run off of the screen.

I had a book that fetched

Code:
Harmondsworth, Eng : Penguin Books in association with H. Hamilton, 1955.
as the publisher. This was too long for the line and caused the fields for all books to exceed the window. As soon as I edited this field shorter then all books looked fine again.

Out of the 1800+ books in my library that one book was the cause of the problem. Once I edited this one book the conversion windows were normal again.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Ok this mystery is solved. It turns out if you have metadata for either Publisher or Series that is longer then the window in the conversion area that the fields will run off of the screen.

I had a book that fetched

Code:
Harmondsworth, Eng : Penguin Books in association with H. Hamilton, 1955.
as the publisher. This was too long for the line and caused the fields for all books to exceed the window. As soon as I edited this field shorter then all books looked fine again.

Out of the 1800+ books in my library that one book was the cause of the problem. Once I edited this one book the conversion windows was normal again.
Great sleuthing, Holmes.
The field probably should not "auto Size" past a certain point
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote