Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
AngelHazard
AngelHazard began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Buying a E-reader on a budget: What choices are there under $200?

Hi, I'm new
Thinking about getting my first e-reader, but I'm unsure which to consider given the number of ereaders on the market. So far I've found the jetbook, sony pocket and the Libre. I'm not really sure which is the better of the three.

All I need is a basic e-reader that can easily read new releases and free content.

Any suggestions

Thank you for your time.
AngelHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Pocketbook 360 is worth a look.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Bob T
Enthusiast
Bob T began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
The Sony PRS-300 is a nice machine for under $200....

I like mine and others seem to like theirs...
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi AngelHazard, I don't have a specific suggestion for you other than "try it before you buy it" if you can. That's an advantage for the Sony 300, at least around here--I saw one in Target.

And welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
I recently bought a Jetbook Lite from Newegg.com at $129.99 plus free shipping. A great deal for my first ebook reader. It is AA battery operated so if you have a bunch of rechargeables for your other devices then you're all set. The battery set lasts a week for me.

It reads multiple formats and though I haven't tried it, it claims to read DRM books bought from Barnes and Nobles. I loaded hundreds of free books into my Jetbook and I love reading from it.

Go and see other devices, too. I tried one of the Sony 300 at Walmart but I didnt like that it doesn't have an expandable memory. Good luck with your search.
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Those three are the major ones. The jetBook and the Libre are cousins. There is a lite version of the jetBook, which is cheaper, and to my mind doesn't give up any useful functionality. Some people prefer it. The Sony 300 is a nice little package if you're willing to spend the full $200. I'll echo the "try before buy" advice. I'd also suggest you look at the forums for all of those units.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Have you read any ebooks yet? Do you purchase from a particular place, or a particular format? If so, then you might want to start by seeing which ebook readers are compatible.

I used to read on a Palm TX. When it got stolen a few months ago, I started reading on my Blackberry Pearl. But I just got a jetBook Lite, and while they still need to fix a bug or two, I like it quite a bit. It reads almost any non-DRM format, and reads the eReader/pdb format with DRM.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
AngelHazard
AngelHazard began at the beginning.

Thank you all for the helpful information, I decided to purchase the Sony 300 pocket edition.
AngelHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Congratulations!
Hope you will like it! If you have access to a library with ebooks you are all set!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Linda!
Enthusiast
Linda! has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Jetbook Lite
Enjoy your Sony 300! Its a popular model and I hope it will be all that you want it to be.
Linda! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
3 main reasons why I don't llike Sony 300:

1. E Ink screen
2. no SD card slot
3. no Folders support
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
3 main reasons why I don't llike Sony 300:

1. E Ink screen
2. no SD card slot
3. no Folders support
It is hard to say No folder support without adding the Collections feature on the Sony units is superior to folders. One copy of the volume can be listed in any number of categories like SF, Novels, Young Readers - etc. Calibre has excellent support for this.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
3 main reasons why like Sony 300:

1. E Ink screen - It has a great reading screen, great clarity and contrast. I can read for hours with no eye starin.
2. no SD card slot - with 350+ books, there is still more than 50% memory left. FOR ME, this is more than enough, and I will only have around 20-30 books on the reader anyway. I can't read 700 books simultaneously
3. no Folders support - Collections is fantastic!!! I can have 1 book in memory and have it in 4 different "folders" without eating up memory by putting it in different folders.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Congratulations on your choice, you will love it. Any of those other readers listed would have been a fine choice as well and I do not think there are any readers out right now that you would be remiss to buy at this level.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelHazard View Post
Thank you all for the helpful information, I decided to purchase the Sony 300 pocket edition.
I really hope you enjoy your 300 as much as I like my 600. They are both excellent readers. I sincerely hope you will find that having a ebook reader will open up a whole new world of reading possibilities. You will also find a wealth of great reading material right here in this site. Happy reading.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
The Sony PRS-300 is a nice machine for under $200....

I like mine and others seem to like theirs...
I would have gone or this, but regardless I really hope you have fun with your Sony 300. It's also very good!
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote