Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
What facade? You can buy a version without the ads for a more expensive price. If you buy a version with the ads and decide you don't like it, you can opt out but have to pay the difference between the version with the ad and without.

So you have a choice, pay more and don't get ads. Pay less and get ads.

Heck, the ads are even easily avoided by simply not looking at the screen saver and ignoring the little ad at the bottome of the page.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
I fail to see how there is a "facade of choice" with their ad supported Kindles.
I agree. Ad supported kindles are cheaper and nobody is "tricked" into buying them. And if you don't like the ads, you can pay the extra $30(?) and get ads removed.

My Kindle 3 - Keyboard is ad supported and it doesn't bother me anymore than the ads in a magazine. I pay little attention to either. If I were offered an upgraded Fire with ads for a decent price, I'd probably think long and hard about purchasing it, as long as it was exclusively startup screensaver ads.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #18
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I don't have a problem with Amazon selling an Ad supported version of the Kindle Fire, but the article pointed out that the details concerning this new ad program are still up in the air. It is possible that the new ad program will apply to all existing Kindle Fires. If that turns out to be the case then I would not be happy at all, but I'll wait and see before I get too worked up.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is possible that Amazon will make a fundementaly stupid decision and not give people the option to opt out. Then Amazon will lose business and we will all ridicule them.

I think the fact that Kindles still have a non-ad version means that Amazon knows that people want to have a choice. I would not be surprised to find out that the Ad version of the Kindle is selling better than the non-ad version, it is $40 less expensive and that means something.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Amazon would probably allow existing Fire owners to opt-in and opt-out, like they do for the full-price owners of Kindles. Ad-supported Kindle owners pay the difference between the SO and non-SO version to be able to opt-out.

I have a Kindle Keyboard that I bought the first month that they came out. I've been opting-in just so I don't have to look at the dead authors (especially Emily Dickinson). When I get tired of the ads, I just opt-out.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
How do you do that?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
How do you do that?
From the "Manage My Kindle" page on Amazon. But it's only available to people in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

If you bought a non-ad Kindle or have opted out of the ad based Kindle, meaning you paid the price difference, you can opt in and out whenever you want for no charge.

As Harry said, go the Manage My Kindle page on Amazon.

If you bought and ad based Kindle you will have to pay the difference to opt out of the program the first time.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #24
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
By "facade of choice" I meant that you are getting the exact same piece of hardware whether you go ad or adfree.

I did not mean you don't have the choice to pay more or less money...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #25
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
A welcome screen without product placement is just a waste of good space, especially when that product could be so well targeted to the individual user.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:31 AM   #26
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I'm not a fan of advertising to start with, especially in the online era, since I find that advertisers tend to pigeonhole people in a deliberate attempt to limit our world-view (to coincide with their products).

Another issue is that I work with other people's children and tend to play it safe with what I bring into the classroom. I can control the books on my ereader, so that's not a problem. I cannot control the ads, so that is a problem. Yes, it is an issue. I've seen teachers bring materials into the classroom without pre-screening it, and they have suffered through a few non-so-comfortable moments because of advertising on scraps of newspaper.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 AM   #27
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I'm not a fan of advertising to start with, especially in the online era, since I find that advertisers tend to pigeonhole people in a deliberate attempt to limit our world-view (to coincide with their products).
I love targeted ads. If I'm shopping for something and you have a unique product or an outstanding price, I want to know about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Another issue is that I work with other people's children and tend to play it safe with what I bring into the classroom. I can control the books on my ereader, so that's not a problem. I cannot control the ads, so that is a problem. Yes, it is an issue. I've seen teachers bring materials into the classroom without pre-screening it, and they have suffered through a few non-so-comfortable moments because of advertising on scraps of newspaper.
I applaud your principle here, but you're urinating into a strong wind. Children are targeted from birth and schools are entirely complicit. From posters in the corridors to TV in the classroom to sponsorship of athletic events to fundraisers, there is no shortage of marketing in our schools. Apple has subsidized classroom use of their products since day 1. Of course, the schools mostly promote themselves. From guidance offices that resemble travel agencies to electioneering, Big E is using children to market their products.

I teach my kids to use the ads as data to be collected and processed as part of a decision making process. I think that works best.

To their credit, Amazon has provided offer supported and offer free versions of their readers. Schools, parents, and consumers have the option of not being targeted. As long as this continues, I'm good and it sounds like you are too.

One thing, though -- no whining about paying $30 more to not be targeted, OK?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #28
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
IN the business press, they have speculated that Amazon will offer ad-supported KFs for up to $30 less. I doubt this though. The KF is already priced to sell.
They may be willing to offer some kind of benefit-like a b$30 gift card- to get people to sign up to buy one.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Since a Fire without ads sells for $199, a Fire with ads should sell for $159.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #30
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I paid the full price $189 for my 3G keyboard Kindle when it first came out. I would be happy to get $30 or $40 back and let them put some ads on it.

Have I said lately, that I love that machine?

Last edited by SeaKing; 05-21-2012 at 10:10 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote