Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
mollyvh
mollyvh began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle Library Books for dummies, please!

Hello,

Can someone please tell this completely computer illiterate person how to convert a library ebook so I can read it on my kindle? I have Calibre, I have the python think, I am sure I have downloaded everything I need, but I don't know what to do next! I don't understand how to get the PID and the library I use doesn't even ask for it. I have already downloaded a library book and can see it in the Adobe ebook thing, but of course Calibre won't convert it since it has the DRM.

I really need a step by step, talk to me like I am 6 years old, converting DRM library books for Kindle for dummies version.

Thank you!

Last edited by dreams; 01-22-2011 at 06:21 PM.
mollyvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
MobileRead policy is that we permit the discussion of DRM removal in the abstract, but not the provision of detailed instructions for DRM removal, or direct linking to sites where such instructions or tools are hosted.

WT Sharpe [moderator]

Last edited by dreams; 01-22-2011 at 06:25 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That having been said, welcome to MobileRead.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Welcome-
If you do a google on 'Apprentice Alf's Blog', you can then search for a blog titled 'Ebook Formats, DRM and You — A Guide for the Perplexed' dated January 13, 2011. Reading this may give you some insights.....what you do with those insights is up to you.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Buying a e-reader that actually supports libraries is the simplest thing to do (and most legal).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Buying a e-reader that actually supports libraries is the simplest thing to do (and most legal).
Actually, the simplest thing would be for my library (that I support through taxes and donations) to provide e-books in a format readable by my kindle....
But since I don't keep any library book, in any format, longer than my loan period, I sleep well at night.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
On the off chance that you also posted this at Two Peas today, check your private messages there.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #8
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
If you really are completely computer illiterate, I wouldn't suggest that you try downloading, stripping DRM, and converting. It's not insanely hard, but if you describe yourself as computer illiterate... it's probably too much for you.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
Can we please get a locked sticky that states "Not supported, and this site can't help you"? It's getting tiring to see this asked over and over and driving out other topics.

If this were a feature, it'd have been listed on the Kindle product page. There are other readers out there that can do it and are marketed to people who want to do it -- perhaps listing a few of them in the post would be a good idea.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
Can we please get a locked sticky that states "Not supported, and this site can't help you"? It's getting tiring to see this asked over and over and driving out other topics.

If this were a feature, it'd have been listed on the Kindle product page. There are other readers out there that can do it and are marketed to people who want to do it -- perhaps listing a few of them in the post would be a good idea.
While I agree this is a frequent enough topic to warrant a sticky, I think a blanket statement that this forum can't/won't help just guarrantees that the topic will be buried in other threads and derail them. Why not just make it a sticky and enforce the policy of no specific links or exact directions being posted. A sticky would provide one location for the moral and immoral police to vent, and if someone wishes to provide specific information they can do so via private communications.
As long as the Kindle remains popular and library support remains sketchy (for whatever reason), people will remain interested in this topic.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The thing is - the site does provide some help although no direct links are permitted and no explicit instructions are provided. There are a number of similar threads and in many/most the suggestion of googling our recently retired benefactor "apprentice alf's blog" is suggested and to look for some "tools" once there and then to examine the various readme files.

DRM stripping: Kosher - maybe in some places, questionably kosher in the US and definitely not in some other locales. The producing the tools maybe more of an issue in more places.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyvh View Post
Hello,

Can someone please tell this completely computer illiterate person how to convert a library ebook so I can read it on my kindle? I have Calibre, I have the python think, I am sure I have downloaded everything I need, but I don't know what to do next! I don't understand how to get the PID and the library I use doesn't even ask for it. I have already downloaded a library book and can see it in the Adobe ebook thing, but of course Calibre won't convert it since it has the DRM.

I really need a step by step, talk to me like I am 6 years old, converting DRM library books for Kindle for dummies version.

Thank you!
What you really need is to get a reader that works with library eBooks.

I don't know why people don't research library eBooks before buying a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Personally, I researched e-readers extensively before purchasing my Kindle and I found it to be hands down the best one. Library books not withstanding, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I am also thrilled that through the work of some very creative people my Kindle's abilities have been expanded and I no longer need to read library e-books on my computer. I delete them after reading and am comfortable with the ethics of what I am doing.
A simple analogy would be my Ipod. I have downloaded my music CD's to Itunes on my computer and listen to them on my Ipod. Technically I am making an illegal copy of the CD and I am converting the music files to a format that my Ipod will accept and play back....what I should do legally is repurchase the song files from the ITunes store, but I don't. Napster had legal issues due to the copying and REDISTRIBUTION of music files without compensation to the artists -- there was harm. With my Kindle I am not redistributing, reselling or causing the publisher/author any fiscal harm, I am simply reading a legally loaned copy of an e-book on a device that doesn't give me a headache, then deleting it. I thank everyone that was involved in devising a technique to do this and I am happy to point others in the right direction if they wish to investigate this capability. People come to this forum to ask questions and to share knowledge, that's why I like it.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:

I think most people just assume that because Kindle is one of the most popular readers, libraries will have a format that can be read by a Kindle. Then they buy one and find out it can't.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
snip

I think that's only reasonable from an informed perspective.

How do you get an informed perspective? You buy an EBR and then discover this is not like emusic. You can't just buy any ebook and read it on just any EBR. That's only common knowledge among the informed.

I mean if I can just walk in my library and walk out with any available book, I should be able to check out any ebook and read it on my brand new EBR, right? What's the difference? And aren't all library books available in eformat? What? They're not? And there's a waiting line too? !!!

I wonder how many people do like me and research almost everything before jumping in? How many people give up on EBRs and leave them gathering dust when they discover it's not quite what they thought it was going to be like when they bought it or received it as a gift?

I've also found that even after my research, it's sometimes hard to replace experience with just book learnin'.

It's kinda like the brand new co-pilot on his first trip with a veteran captain:

"Captain? How did you develop such good judgment?"

"Experience, son," the captain replied.

"Well how did you get that experience, sir?" the new co-pilot asked.

"Bad judgment," the captain replied.

speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote