Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
If 950 can improve these, it could be the best

I got my prs 950 these days, I'd say I love it. The pdf and epub reading experience on prs 950 can blow kindle away, especially my kindle Dx1. But lacking some feature lowered its c/p. If the next firmware can support following features, to me prs 950 would be the best ereader for reading:

1. Improve the accuracy of writing text. Now the pen is nearly no use, it is very hard to write a note due to the inaccuracy of touch screen. Except for improving accuracy, another simpler way is enlarging the inputing area when user is writing.

2. Rotate web browser when surfing web. I much like the the web browser on e-ink ( I do hope to get ride of LCD after work). It can nearly open all the web page. But it's too strange it cant rotate to 1024px width for reading, this erased half value of the browser. Don't know if this is purposely, since it seems simple to enable it. I really hope the next firmware can allow rotating browser.

3. Unicode support. Actually I think this should be a standard feature for any ereader now days. But its priority is lower since there are hacking for fonts.
whitepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepaper View Post
I got my prs 950 these days, I'd say I love it. The pdf and epub reading experience on prs 950 can blow kindle away, especially my kindle Dx1. But lacking some feature lowered its c/p. If the next firmware can support following features, to me prs 950 would be the best ereader for reading:

1. Improve the accuracy of writing text. Now the pen is nearly no use, it is very hard to write a note due to the inaccuracy of touch screen. Except for improving accuracy, another simpler way is enlarging the inputing area when user is writing.

2. Rotate web browser when surfing web. I much like the the web browser on e-ink ( I do hope to get ride of LCD after work). It can nearly open all the web page. But it's too strange it cant rotate to 1024px width for reading, this erased half value of the browser. Don't know if this is purposely, since it seems simple to enable it. I really hope the next firmware can allow rotating browser.

3. Unicode support. Actually I think this should be a standard feature for any ereader now days. But its priority is lower since there are hacking for fonts.
I roughly agree, but I don't get #1. I really have no issues with the accuracy of the stylus, I have been annotating PDFs with ease. It's actually much faster and more responsive than the stylus on the PRS900 and much more precise than the third-party stylus I use with my iPad. are you sure you don't have a defective unit?
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I roughly agree, but I don't get #1. I really have no issues with the accuracy of the stylus, I have been annotating PDFs with ease. It's actually much faster and more responsive than the stylus on the PRS900 and much more precise than the third-party stylus I use with my iPad. are you sure you don't have a defective unit?
To me the main problem of writing with pen is it can't write small text. Mostly I can use it to draw lines or big character. If I need to write reasonable size of text (It's hard to describe the size, maybe 2-3 times as large as the content font, otherwise there is no enough space to write useful notes), the lines would mess up, twisted together. This is much similar to the experience of taking notes on resistive touchscreen on Kohjinsha.

I tried to enlarge display, but it not allow taking note then. So I think this is a problem.
whitepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I vote for #2. I wish the web browser could do landscape mode too!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
varmemester
Connoisseur
varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.varmemester has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & Sony PRS-950
1+ for browsing in landscape mode.

After using my 950 for approximately a month I am overall extremely pleased. These are my suggestions for an even better experience.

1. More alternative dictionaries.

2. When reading pdf files in landscape mode it would be preferable if the the bottom line of the viewable page isn't repeated when moving on to the next segment of the page.

3. Fixing connection troubles with certain Macbooks.

4. More available font sizes.
varmemester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
I agree on the accuracy of the hand writing. I found that exagerating the movements when writing does help a bit, but it's nowhere my samsung E60 for example (wacom) which allows something close to what you would obtain on paper in terms of accuracy.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I'd like to see the 950 modified so that the user can buy any dictionary he/she wants and choose it as the primary dictionary. I'd also like to be able to designate a secondary dictionary so that if the tapped word is not found in the primary dictionary, it automatically searches the secondary dictionary.

I'd like to see the font size system change to where the user can choose aparticular size from a range of numbers, say 6 point to 50 point including every point between. I rarely find the S (small) size readable and sometimes the M (medium) is a bit too large or too small but the L (large) is excessively large.

I don't really care about the web browser. I don't use my 950 to surf the web. I wouldn't object to improvements in it, but I'd prefer that Sony focus work on improving the reading experience rather than on improving the surfing experience.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
My vote: landscape support should be improved. If I page down in landscape mode, I expect it to resume at the next sentence like my Kindle 3 does. It's one of the few things I miss on my PRS-950 as compared to my Kindle 3.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'd like to see the font size system change to where the user can choose aparticular size from a range of numbers, say 6 point to 50 point including every point between. I rarely find the S (small) size readable and sometimes the M (medium) is a bit too large or too small but the L (large) is excessively large
They definitely need a font size between small and medium. That's a common complaint across all of their models. I would like to see them add choices for font type. It's an inconvenience to resort to today's workarounds to get a more readable file both in font size & type.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
xtracto
xtracto began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 950
Let me join to the wishlist:
I'd like to have the option to browse "subfolders" so that I don't get all the books/pdfs/articles dumped in the same place "Books" on the main screen.

I know there is a "collections" option but IMO it is too "deep" in the navigation. The best would be that when selecting "view all books" in the home screen I could "sort" my books by subfolders or by "collections".
xtracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Not completely realted to topic (sorry) but anyone knows if there's a video of the 950 when accessing wikipedia from a book ? I'd like to see how fast the whole thing (book -> browser -> book) is.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'd like to see a sans serif font choice. It's about the only thing that I don't love about this device, which is quickly becoming my favorite of all of my ereaders.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Has SONY ever done a firmware update with models that predate the 650 and 950...??
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Has SONY ever done a firmware update with models that predate the 650 and 950...??
Sure, my 950 came with 1.x and now it is 2.0.00.11300
Since I did not use 1.x much I can't do a comparison...
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
Sure, my 950 came with 1.x and now it is 2.0.00.11300
Since I did not use 1.x much I can't do a comparison...
OK....thanks...I thought I read somewhere, that there updates are very few and far between....I once purchased a 650 but returned it as I needed/wanted darker font...Now I am looking at the 950 but have been waiting to see if SONY will release firmware at all (even if it doesn't address my wish !!) before purchasing it.
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enhancement, prs-950