Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
cryo-genie
cryo-genie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Button - Single Point of Failure?

I have just looked, with quite a bit of interest, at a Kobo WiFi edition at Chapters. Good price (149$ Cdn.) great display etc etc. Almost bought it. What has me concerned is the single button for *everything* design. If you read a great deal (I do) and plan to switch between a large number of Novels, periodicals etc., that means that one little mechanical button will get a lot of wear and tear.
How reliable is it?
If it was available in touch screen, since that involves no moving parts, I would go for it in a heartbeat.

Looking for any button related feedback to help me make this decision. The Sony PRS650, has the same size screen, is touch, but is a whopping 70$ more (on sale).
https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/iloveyou.gif
cryo-genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Yeah I think you can rely on this pad, it is like a pc mouse. you can select, scroll, click and so on.
Plus Kobo has a virtual keyboard that appears in some areas by itself, it allows you to chose characters to form words.
you don't really need to type anything in Ereaders, except web addresses, password, and searched words.
The problem of touch screen like sony Ereader is that they have a lot of glare, and low contrast.
I think that this Kobo is better then any Sony eReader so far. touch screen technology will just give you headache, low contrast and glare.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
I wondered the same. I've had my orginal Kobo since the first shipment in May. I've never had a problem with it. I've read over 30 books on it and have done a lot of experimenting with it. The silly little d-pad keeps on clicking and clicking and clicking. I give it thumbs up for durability thus far.

I have heard of a few others whose d-pad has pulled away from the surface of the device, leaving a slight gap. It's covered under warranty though. Given my experience to date, I'd recommend it without hesitation!
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Just a clarification for accuracy:
Quote:
The problem of touch screen like sony Ereader is that they have a lot of glare, and low contrast.
The glare and low contrast problems apply to the older 600 and 700 models, not the current 350, 650 and 950 models. The new models have a new type of touch screen with no glare or contrast reduction. (But I still haven't bought one.)
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Just a clarification for accuracy:

The glare and low contrast problems apply to the older 600 and 700 models, not the current 350, 650 and 950 models. The new models have a new type of touch screen with no glare or contrast reduction. (But I still haven't bought one.)
Even ipads have glare on them ! touch screen technology comes with glare and thus lack of contrast.
Sonny eReaders look really weird even on their websites !
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
rischa
rischa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The Sony e-reader screens are nothing like an iPad, though. They use the new pearl e-ink and looked pretty awesome in-store. I didn't think there was any glare problems and if anything the contrast looked better than the Kobo (not that the Kobo is bad at all)

Having said that, I'm still enjoying reading on my Kobo and my d-pad is holding up fine.
rischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I have had my kobo since july and i read a few hours a day and its held up great, plus the one year warranty will cover it if it does bust.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
cryo-genie
cryo-genie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile

Thanks for all the feedback. I really liked the Kobo, but after having another look at both it and the PRS650 I opted for the touch screen, even at the exorbitantly higher price of the Sony. Unlike earlier Sony models, the contrast was excellent and non-glary, even under bright florescent lighting.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
cryo-genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Have to admit I like kobo design. Since I type nothing on it, I do
not need keyboard. Some competitors have full kb with all bells
and ropes and dictionaries and... At least I'm not sure where I'd
have a grip on the most famous competitor. Screen is different
story. I cannot put them side by side, so cannot be sure what is
what. Taming stressed new kobo had better screen and I believed
her. I'm positive all of posters have an eye for future device and
value them regarding some of this posts. At this moment I have
one horse on the list top. Cause my reader behaves as I like, not
a time to buy new one. I suppose 2-3 years period is life span for
ereader.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
So far the single Dpad button has held up well for me, though for some it has not.

Changes pages very well.

The new Sony ereader's have a pearl screen which is superior to any older e-ink screen. The new Kobo does not have a Pearl screen but is much better contrast and greyscale level wise than the Ko1
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #11
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
The new Sony ereader's have a pearl screen which is superior to any older e-ink screen.
Pearl is already high on my list. Another, not mentioned competitor,
has it. On that device people mostly complain on font choice. And
they change it.
Yes, I like to hear all opinions, good and, even more, bad.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote