Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Quickstrike
Quickstrike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation Requesting: Pics of the PRS-650 Lighted Cover in Action

The Kindle 3 Lighted Cover has quite an uneven light pattern. I was wondering how the PRS-650 cover compared - I have yet to see pictures of it in use.

[not my pic]

The Kindle 3G/Wifi is a gift for my mother. It was a 'no-brainer' option for her because of the ease of purchasing books through Amazon, wirelessly.

I, however, don't mind plugging my ebook reader into a computer to update it.. so I am looking closely at the PRS-650.

I like the touch screen idea for looking up words in the dictionary.. also, I find the home screen superior to the kindle's.
I have to admit, I really enjoy the Kindle's wireless features, the side 'page turn' buttons for one handed operation, the physical keyboard -- so, in my mind, the Sony reader isn't a clear winner.
Quickstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I have a lighted 650 cover and I love the lighted coverage--very even. I'll post a picture if I can locate my camera!

And actually I find the Sony reader very easy to operate with one hand. I find the page turn buttons at the bottom of the screen easy to operate with your thumb. Also, it's pretty easy to swipe the screen to turn pages with my thumb--again when holding the reader with one hand.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Quickstrike
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alright--found my camera. Here's a pic with the lighted cover. Note the camera picks up the reflection of the light at the top of the screen--that's not really noticable when using the reader.

Also, the light in the lighted cover for the Sony is really easy to reposition, so it's possible to position the light so that it provides maximum coverage with minimum glare.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...ghtedcover.jpg

Hope this helps!

dordale
Old 10-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Dordale, is your 505 red as well? If so how do they compare in color? I love my ruby red 505 but wasn't crazy about the candy apple red 600 so I bought that one in black.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 AM   #6
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
PRS-650 light works much better than on PRS-900. Even on the lower setting, it shines evenly, and you don't have to move the light around as much to avoid the glare.
See my post here for some pics:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101140
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #7
dordale
Wizard

SolRaven--

My 505 is silver, so I can't compare the reds. But I really do like the color of my 650. I wouldn't describe it as "candy apple". It's a little darker--I think it looks very classy.

dordale
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Dordale, is your 505 red as well? If so how do they compare in color? I love my ruby red 505 but wasn't crazy about the candy apple red 600 so I bought that one in black.
Comparison photos between the 505, 600, and 650 in red are here:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2010/09/28/...reader-review/

You might want to read the text as well; the reviewer says the photo doesn't quite capture the color.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote