Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
yaelkmiller
yaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 4
Notice from Kindle Direct Publishing Regarding Calibre

I was communicating with Kindle Direct Publishing about one of my ebooks that's been running into formatting errors and as part of their response I got the below:

Quote:
Also, please note, although we used to accept MOBI files created by programs such as Mobipocket Creator and Calibre previously, we no longer support MOBI files created using third party applications such as the one you've used.

If you prefer uploading a MOBI file, we recommend that you use Kindlegen to convert your source file to MOBI format.

You can download Kindlegen here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000234621

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks for using Amazon KDP.
So it's time to switch to Kindlegen, correct?
yaelkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sounds like it. I always prepare my work in MS-Word and upload that, which converts just fine.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
yaelkmiller
yaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheeseyaelkmiller can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for answering.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
I use Jutoh to create my books and those are accepted by KDP and it turns out excellent epub's too.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
yaelkmiller

Valkrider, thanks for answering. Has anyone who uses Kindle Fire read your ebook and said how the formatting was? In my experience, that's where the trouble is.

I'm now just hand creating all the documents that Kindle wants (book html, toc html, toc ncx, opf) and using KindleGen to conver.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I have recently been very tempted by the Kindle Paperwhite but your timely posting has reminded me why I have stayed away from Amazon's readers. Thanks!
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
I have recently been very tempted by the Kindle Paperwhite but your timely posting has reminded me why I have stayed away from Amazon's readers. Thanks!
What? Why?
Old 12-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The fact that Amazon recommend the use of KindleGen makes you stay away from Kindles? Your logic slightly eludes me - can you elaborate?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't like Amazon's attempt to tie you in to only their format and now this restriction on which programs are authorised to produce MOBIs. I'm sure Kindlegen is very good but Amazon seem to be excluding other generators, not just recommending.

I really appreciate the open nature of ePub and the ease with which it can be tweaked. I can buy ePubs from many different publishers without being tied in to any particular one.

If Kindles supported ePub I would buy one without hesitation.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can create your book as an ePub using whatever tools you wish. Once you have your ePub, use KindleGen to convert it to Mobi format for Kindle publication. You're not constrained in the slightest in how you create your book - KindleGen is simply a publication tool.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Agama
Guru

From what the OP posted it sounded to me as though calibre, (and other similar tools), could no longer be used to make supported MOBIs from an ePub. Are you saying that calibre is still valid? Maybe I got the wrong end of the stick.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, that's correct - the KDP process will only (reliably) accept Mobi files created by KindleGen. But KindleGen will accept ePub as an input, and you can use any tool you want - Sigil, Calibre, etc - to create and tweak your ePub. KindleGen only comes into play when you're ready to upload your book to Amazon.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
Agama
Guru

So if I wanted to make MOBI's from ePub using calibre and simply send them directly to a Kindle then it would be ok? The restriction is only for books uploaded to Amazon? (What does uploading them to Amazon achieve? Since I don't have a Kindle - yet! - this is foreign territory to me.)
Old 12-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
I don't like Amazon's attempt to tie you in to only their format and now this restriction on which programs are authorised to produce MOBIs. I'm sure Kindlegen is very good but Amazon seem to be excluding other generators, not just recommending.

I really appreciate the open nature of ePub and the ease with which it can be tweaked. I can buy ePubs from many different publishers without being tied in to any particular one.

If Kindles supported ePub I would buy one without hesitation.
Did you even bother to read the thread? My post in particular where i said i use MS-Word?
Old 12-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
Agama
Guru

I did read your post, but assumed that MS-Word was capable of producing a MOBI. I think where I missed it was with regards to "uploading".

Tags
amazon, calibre, kdp, kindle