Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Replacing 3 year old Kindle?

Hi all,

I have a "Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, U.S. & International Wireless, Latest Generation)" bought in 2009 for a ridiculous amount compared to todays prices Anyway, I wonder if it is worth replacing this device with a kindle or a kindle touch? I have used my kindle a lot, then I put it away and have recently taken it off the shelf again to revive it but the new models look a bit better. How do they compare when it comes to speed and weight? I love the free 3G function on mine so that is an advantage. Would you even consider the replacement? The fire models are out because I am not living in the US.

I was also wonder about the DX model, is it still the same as in 2009?

Thanks for all input.
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Nobody? Basically what I am thinking about is

Do you think it is worthwhile (speed/screen/weight) to upgrade from a kindle2 to a new kindle/kindle touch?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Hi, Euroboy! Sorry that no one has gotten back to you until now. Perhaps you'd get more responses in the Which eReader Should I Buy? forum.

Personally, I'm enamored of the Kindle 3 as long as it has the new firmware upgrade (and is jail-broken for custom screensavers, of course). After years of using the touch screens on my Sony Readers, I find I like the retro feel of the Kindle Keyboard in combination with the sharper fonts and options which are the legacy of the Paperwhite. Reading is so much more fun, and the fast reboot option effected by jailbreaking is a huge relief.

And of course you can install custom fonts if your KK is jailbroken, but I've really been enjoying the firmware-updated stock fonts.

I don't know what's been happening to the Kindle 3/Kindle Keyboard's price in Norway, but recently in the States, it was being sold for less than the Touch.

The Touch also has issues I've read about which wouldn't make it terribly attractive for me. I'd move straight to the Paperwhite if I were so inclined.

If lag is a serious issue for you, you might want to research whether the Touch's processor is markedly faster than that of the K2. Most of the later models are significantly faster, which doesn't seem important until you own one and begin wincing at the pace of your older device.

The Touch uses a Freescale i.MX508 software controller. The Kindle Keyboard uses an Epson ISIS (S1D13522). Your K2 uses an Epson Broadsheet (S1D13521).

This is where you'll find the comparison (scroll down to the 6" readers):

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-09-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Basic Kindle( Kindle 4) is nice upgrade from Kindle 2. It is way lighter and smaller and it has much better screen, if you can live without keyboard and audio support.
Kindle DX is the same device it was in 2009, it has good screen, but I consider it outdated.
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Kindle 3 / 3G offers free internet access, as you state, at least in some countries (except Germany ).
All later Kindles (Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite) only give you access to Amazon shop and Wikipedia.
Reading about the Touch and the Paperwhite issues, I would rather stick with my Kindle 3 / 3G (called Keyboard now). It is available in Germany at t much lower price than when it came out.

I use the Kindle 4 (NT) for conmuting since it is smaller and lighter. The display of the Kindle KB is so far the best, except for the new Kindle 4 Black (again cheaper than the original low price Kindle 4 NT).
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Euroboy
Connoisseur

Thanks for all the answers folks,

The only option buying international is the kindle (basic), touch or kindle keyboard. The latter is the only one with free 3g but I only use that for buying books. I guess I can use wifi or a computer almost as easy. Audio support is not an issue for me, I only use it for reading and I feel kindle 2 is a bit on the heavy side. Looks like kindle 4 has more screen.

I think I will try to look for a nice second hand kindle 4, the price here is much more than 89 USD (approx 144 USD), almost twice the price That goes for all the kindles by the way..ebay here I come

Thanks for your opinions
Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The only thing with buying second hand is that the new version of the Kindle 4 (with the black case) appears to have a much better screen than the original silver Kindle 4. So perhaps worth waiting to see if you can buy one new on ebay (if that's cheaper than buying from Amazon)?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Euroboy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The only thing with buying second hand is that the new version of the Kindle 4 (with the black case) appears to have a much better screen than the original silver Kindle 4. So perhaps worth waiting to see if you can buy one new on ebay (if that's cheaper than buying from Amazon)?
Thanks for that info! Appreciate it a lot

Guess I have a K2 int version for sale then...
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
Guess I have a K2 int version for sale then...
you should donate it to science
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
Euroboy
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
you should donate it to science
Based on the response in the flea marked forum, it seems your are right
Old 10-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
One thing worth mentioning about the audio capability of the Kindle Keyboard:

One of the perks of the new firmware is that it now syncs audio and text.

Details here.

One of the things I hate about Audiobooks is how easy it is to lose your place -- no one outside the recording industry seems to have perfected bookmarking audio tracks because it's never been important for music (unless you're listening to Morton Feldman's six-hour string quartet).

With the Kindle Keyboard, you can now bookmark the page where your listening/reading ends and pick up your place in the recording with it. You can also use text-to-speech and the page actually turns as the spoken text progresses.

If I had a child or knew someone who was just learning to read, I'd be in love with this feature. Perhaps not important to you, but it does take the KK's seemingly irrelevant audio capability and turn it into a benefit which no other e-ink reader currently offers.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-11-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
You might consider waiting a while until the new kindle paperwhite is available in Europe (or get one from the States).

That seems to be the major game-changer in the kindle lineup with higher resolution lighted display. I am eagerly awaiting delivery of mine to a US colleague who will bring it to europe in 3 weeks (to complement and, if possible, replace my Kindle keyboard). However, right now there still seem to be QC issues, so waiting might make sense.

One word - I have had the kindle fire now since its launch a year ago, and it is nice (and usable in Europe if you get a virtual US debit card, e.g. through www.usunlocked.com), but for reading it is not as good as the eInk kindles.

Or, you might pick up a used kindle keyboard at a good price from somebody upgrading now.

Or, of course, you could consider continuing to use your kindle 2. Likely it has not gotten any worse since when you bought it...

Regards,
andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 10-11-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thread now moved to this more logical forum.

Additional responses are sure to be generated.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-11-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Ok, breaking news update...

The paperwhite is available for pre-order in UK and Germany as of today...

Regards,
andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I live in Mexico and I have the old Kindle Keyboard, which is showing it's age, and a Kindle Basic. I don't need sound or 3G so the Kindle Basic suits me fine. I have ordered the Kindle Paperwhite, which my sister will bring me in January, but I can't say I need it. I often read in restaurants or coffee shops that aren't well lighted and the lighted screen might be nice.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote