Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Questions about Magazine subscriptions...

I'm considering getting a 8 GB Nook Tablet and want to read magazines on it in addition to books.

What happens to "my" magazines after I'm done reading them? If I subscribe to a magazine for a few years, can I go back to a magazine from a year or two ago and read an article?

Also, I've read a little bit about "article view", but I'm wondering if the magazines are the real thing like I would get in print or are they narrowed down versions with all the little articles removed to save space?

Last question...
Has anyone tried an 8 GB Tablet yet? I'm wondering how much of an effect reducing the operating RAM to half the size of the 16 GB Tablet (1 GB vs. 512 MB) has on the operation. Storage space is no big deal since it has an SD slot. I currently have a Kindle 3 and would rather get the Kindle Fire. But the fact that it has no card slot kills it for me.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Last question...
Has anyone tried an 8 GB Tablet yet? I'm wondering how much of an effect reducing the operating RAM to half the size of the 16 GB Tablet (1 GB vs. 512 MB) has on the operation. Storage space is no big deal since it has an SD slot. I currently have a Kindle 3 and would rather get the Kindle Fire. But the fact that it has no card slot kills it for me.
I can't answer your first questions and the 8GB Tablet hasn't been around long enough to say how it compares to the 16GB version speed wise, however, with system memory cut in half, I don't see how it could be anything but slower in certain applications. I'm certain there will be some that you'll never see a difference. It really just depends on what you plan to do with your NT.

As far as picking a NT over a Kindle Fire, I'd have to say, good move. I have always been an Amazon man, heck I still love and use the company. I love my K3, but when it comes to these tablets, my 16GB NT blows the Kindle Fire away in my book. That being said, you need to keep a few things in mind. Both Amazon and B&N only let you play in a closed sandbox when it comes to their tablets. They're not making much, if anything, on these devices. They're banking on making their money on you buying content from them. The B&N app store is horribly deficient when it comes to apps. They offer only a tiny percentage of what is available on the full-blown Android Marketplace, which you won't have access to without rooting your device. Also, many of the apps that they do offer, they charge for or charge more for, where they're available for free or for less through the Android Marketplace.

Amazon has a much better app store but they're limited too. The only way to get full access to any app you may want is to root your device.

I rooted my NT within a couple of days and haven't been happier. However, I wouldn't have been anywhere near satisfied if I hadn't or couldn't have rooted my NT. Also, I'm not certain there's been a lot of success with rooting the 8GB NTs yet, though I'm certain someone will be able to eventually.

Anyway, these are all things to keep in mind when considering your purchase.

Good luck with your decision.

- Byron Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Lately, some of the magazines come to the Tablet or Color as "enhanced" content, with extra features like links to additional info, etc. For example, I am a New Yorker physical magazine subscriber, and as part of the deal I get a free subscription to the Nook edition. The magazine pages on the Color look very similar to the physical pages, although I cannot swear that everything is there. HOWEVER, this type of enhanced magazine has one big problem, IMHO - it does not have an "article view" ability, and you cannot turn it to landscape mode. And you cannot zoom in or out. So a lot of times the text is awfully small.

Used to be that when you got a mag on the Color, it had the article mode, you could go landscape, and (I think) you could zoom in and out. So I think this enhanced magazine thing makes them worse. Unless I am missing something and am not doing it right (which I doubt - I mean, for example, I turn it landscape and shake it and nothing happens).

By the way, the magazine still comes down to any Touch or Classic Nook as pure text. In other words, even with these enhanced magazines, you get a pure text version sent to the Touch or Classic just by virtue of having the e-mag subscription. It is great to read on the Touch.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, that's a bummer. I got to see a magazine on an iPad today. It looked nice, but I'm not mortgaging my house to buy an iPad.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
mohawk
Enthusiast
mohawk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet, Tried the Fire, Currently, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
I tried the Fire, the Nook Tablet and finally settled on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus. It's on sale for 299.00 at Best Buy right now. I paid 349.00 for it. Still a good buy at that price. I have the Kindle App and the B&N app loaded on it. I skype with it, I stream live, all the channels I used to watch on Dish network. Cancelled my Dish. The Tablet will pay for itself in another 5 months. I use overdrive and adobe and get my books from the library for free. Most of the Apps I loaded are not even available on a Nook Tab. Most of what I want to use my Tablet for isn't available on the Fire or nook. Like GPS, Skype, Blue tooth, external keyboards, etc. Time Magazine is a better read than the print edition. All the articles are there and a double tap will size the print to it's largest size to fit the screen. I also live stream directly to my large screen TV using The World Streaming TV and the Crackle app. The device is rock solid with no rooting required. Ice Cream sandwich will be updated to it around the end of march, free, from Samsung.
Really, there's no comparison.

Last edited by mohawk; 02-28-2012 at 04:03 PM.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic

There's a few apps I use on my Android phone that I'd like to use on the Nook Tablet, but right now it's not that big a deal. I mainly just want to read books, magazines and watch movies. I ended up buying the 16 GB Nook Tablet and am pretty happy with it so far. There was a sample National Geographic on the demo model at Best Buy, so I got to play with it a little bit. My only problem now is that the magazine I really want to subscribe to isn't available from B&N (even though it's available on the iPad).
Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Storage space is no big deal since it has an SD slot. I currently have a Kindle 3 and would rather get the Kindle Fire. But the fact that it has no card slot kills it for me.
The magazines will not be stored on the SD card, only on the internal memory, of which you have 2GB. Some magazines will set you back 500MB, though most are in the 100-200 range, so you will have to archive them at some point to make room for more.

The 16G model has 12GB for B&N content, so you can have more magazines, apps and books at the same time. That said, B&N will let you repartition the 16G model to have more room for sideloaded stuff at the expense of B&N content.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic

The main point of the SD card for me is so I can put movies on it to watch while I'm at the fire station and we're not busy.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Some magazines will set you back 500MB, though most are in the 100-200 range, so you will have to archive them at some point to make room for more.
I was wondering about this - i.e. will a magazine subscription eat up my remaining memory in a hurry. One thing I have noticed is that a new issue does NOT download immediately when it is available. It shows up on the Home screen of my Color Nook with a "New" label and also a "Download" label. So you don't automatically get it.

Of course, if you want to read it, you have to download it. I suppose you get used to doing that and also archinving anything you have already read. Seems like subscribers must be getting huge archive lists of these issues over time. However, I suppose it's just a pointer in the account database, not the actual document.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I was wondering about this - i.e. will a magazine subscription eat up my remaining memory in a hurry. One thing I have noticed is that a new issue does NOT download immediately when it is available. It shows up on the Home screen of my Color Nook with a "New" label and also a "Download" label. So you don't automatically get it.

Of course, if you want to read it, you have to download it. I suppose you get used to doing that and also archinving anything you have already read. Seems like subscribers must be getting huge archive lists of these issues over time. However, I suppose it's just a pointer in the account database, not the actual document.
Yes, if you archive a magazine just a link to the magazine on B&N's servers is kept on your ereader.
Also if you do not archive a magazine it will be deleted (as in really deleted from your account) after a certain period of time or a certain number of issues.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote