Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
Biggest satisfaction/happiness vs. biggest disappointment/frustration

I mean about ereading.

For me they are...

Positive: Awesomely portable reading, like what 5,000 times lighter?

Negative: Screen faults, the &^%$# machines just don't work as they are supposed to. I returned my Sony pocket Edition and now will be returning my Kobo Touch. The much smaller selection of books I can handle. But it really bugs me to make a bunch of notes, only to have them become useless when I have to take the contraptions back!
hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
For dissatisfaction, it's figuring out how to beat the DRM like Topaz. Also, beating ADE could be easier.

My greatest satisfaction is reading for free a number of books I have wanted to get to for years.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
i remember finding a book i wanted to read and being deeply disappointed it wasn't available for kindle. within a year, though, it indeed was. i am happy.

i have no disappointments as smug as that sounds. i got exactly what i wanted, and i didn't need to research about it when i bought it, either.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Same as above — a happy experience with the Kindle. Didn't really bother with the manual. Most everything has been intuitive, seamless. The web browser is a little comical, but on the other hand I was surprised that it was included.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Satisfaction - Being able to carry tons of text with me at any given time. Textbooks, graphic novels, zombie books, poetry collections, reference books, and more. All goes in my tiny back-pack without worry of breaking my back thanks to how damn heavy ALL of those would be if I had their physical counterparts.

Frustration - Finding out that the book I want isn't available in an eformat, yet. That, or the battery crapping out when I could've swore I charged it before I left on my trip.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Satisfaction: passionate about reading again.

Seriously, I know so many people who had to read massive amounts in university who practically stopped reading some time afterwards. I must have been down to a book a month myself until decent quality ereaders came along.

It feels sort of pathetic to attribute such a thing to them, but I just find I have so many more times during the day when I want to pick up a book, and then that I tend to continie reading for longer.

No disappointments. Different readers have their diffent purposes. Battery life on my Sony is a bit weak now that I fill an SD card and read books off that.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Pros.
Fantastic screen - eInk.
Excellent battery life.
Both reason mentioned above resulting in superb portability. Thus, I read more than before.
Support of good formats, lrf and epub, in the worst case scenario rtf.

Cons.
Not all books I would like to read were available in ebook format.
The situation is better now, but not there yet.

What else could I wish for?
Almost a perfect thing. The best money investment in my life.

Last edited by astra; 06-20-2011 at 06:00 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #8
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
Couldn't be happier though I do wish I had more freedom in organizing my books on my Nook and my Kindle 3.
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
For dissatisfaction, it's figuring out how to beat the DRM like Topaz. Also, beating ADE could be easier.
Calibre's DRM plugin seems to handle Topaz as easily as Amazon's standard DRM.

Positives: *Really* reading again, being able to carry hundreds of books with me to cover whatever mood I'm in.

Negatives: Not finding books I want to read (old and new) in ebook format. Not being rich enough to buy all the books I want.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The biggest frustration is unavailability of books. Next is pricing issues, which includes overpriced backlist titles, as well as Agency pricing / lack of competitive pricing. Third is DRM issues.

What's best is that I don't have to think about physical space limitations anymore when buying books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Pros.
Fantastic screen - eInk.
Excellent battery life.
Both reason mentioned above resulting in superb portability. Thus, I read more than before.
Support of good formats, lrf and epub, in the worst case scenario rtf.

Cons.
Not all books I would like to read were available in ebook format.
The situation is better now, but not there yet.

What else could I wish for?
Almost a perfect thing. The best money investment in my life.
This exactly, with one additon to the Cons:
Having to do a hard reset while on vacation, thereby wiping out all of the books stored on my Reader and potentially leaving me bookless. (Luckily, I keep an SD card backup with my Reader for just such an occasion!)
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I love the portability and the huge size of the library one can carry around -- something for every mood.

But I don't like the fact that some books are not available in eformat at all and others are subject to geographic restrictions.

I wish all ereaders had a common format or were versatile enough to read different formats and I wish we had a global market in ebooks.

I think it is iniquitous that ebooks are subject to tax when pbooks aren't. (See this.)
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Only frustration for me has been occasional formatting errors and typos.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Satisfaction:

Fantastic devices, something I had imagined would exist some day but never thought it would be in my time.

Being able to get books in english without limiting myself to a couple of shelves of bestselling paperbacks in my B&M bookshop (in Argentina).

Being able to read lots of high quality free books.

Having the chance to know of indie authors, some of them really great, who only publish in e-form, and whom I wouldn't have heard of otherwise.

Becoming "an editor" myself, learning how to format my books and sharing them with others.

Becoming part of MobileRead

Frustration

Lack of good pdf support in all devices.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Calibre's DRM plugin seems to handle Topaz as easily as Amazon's standard DRM.

Positives: *Really* reading again, being able to carry hundreds of books with me to cover whatever mood I'm in.

Negatives: Not finding books I want to read (old and new) in ebook format. Not being rich enough to buy all the books I want.
DRM plugin doesn't work at all for me. Therefore I am unable to buy a book from Amazon unless I want to read it on my desktop. That's a pretty big negative for me.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote