Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
William Faulkner titles released on August 17th

The Wild Palms - $11.99
The Unvanquished - $11.99
Uncollected Stories - $12.99
The Town - $8.99
Three Famous Short Novels: Spotted Horses, Old Man, The Bear - $9.99
The Sound and the Fury - $9.99
Snopes: The Hamlet, The Town, The Mansion - $14.99
Requiem for a Nun - $9.99
The Reivers - $9.99
Pylon - $9.99
The Mansion - $11.99
Light in August - $9.99
Knight's Gambit - $11.99
Intruder in the Dust - $9.99
The Hamlet - $11.99
Go Down, Moses - $9.99
Flags in the Dust - $8.99
A Fable - $11.99
Essays, Speeches & Public Letters - $8.99
Big Woods - $11.99
As I Lay Dying - $9.99
Absalom, Absalom! - $9.99

All are up for pre-order on Amazon. It seems like Random House prefer to release an author's entire bibliography at once. This will be them trying to get some sales before January 2013 (when Faulkner's works will appear on the internet for free)
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Obscene prices for catalog titles.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I think I'll stick with the public library for my Faulkner needs at those prices.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Tell us again about how the prices will go down when the paperbacks come out!
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
my library has those, thankfully
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
The Wild Palms - $11.99
The Town - $8.99
The Reivers - $9.99
Pylon - $9.99
The Mansion - $11.99
Light in August - $9.99
Knight's Gambit - $11.99
The Hamlet - $11.99
Go Down, Moses - $9.99
A Fable - $11.99
Big Woods - $11.99
As I Lay Dying - $9.99

All are up for pre-order on Amazon. It seems like Random House prefer to release an author's entire bibliography at once. This will be them trying to get some sales before January 2013 (when Faulkner's works will appear on the internet for free)
In Life + 50 Countries...

Hemmingway - next January, also in Life + 50 Countries.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post

Another reason to move to Canada ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
The Wild Palms - $11.99
The Town - $8.99
The Reivers - $9.99
Pylon - $9.99
The Mansion - $11.99
Light in August - $9.99
Knight's Gambit - $11.99
The Hamlet - $11.99
Go Down, Moses - $9.99
A Fable - $11.99
Big Woods - $11.99
As I Lay Dying - $9.99

They should offer the entire catalog for a special price.

I agree with Ardeegee the prices seem high. Shouldn't these be public domain by now?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Random House has done the same with Nevil Shute. I think it's their Vintage line, and they are pricing these ebooks to correspond with the trade paperbacks.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
They should offer the entire catalog for a special price.
And that price should be free of course, I suppose if they must they can place an ad in the front for other books.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 AM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
And that price should be free of course, I suppose if they must they can place an ad in the front for other books.
Advertising makes you the product. I would rather pay. His books aren't public domain, but those prices seem a little high.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
His books aren't public domain,...
Yet... Soon they will be; but not in the country of his birth.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 AM   #13
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
And these are not even critical editions, are they? I see no indication of that. Wow, these prices really suck.

At least they are offering the Snopes trilogy (one of his best works) for an almost decent price. $15 bucks for three great novels makes sense. But $10 for novels like Pylon...

For anyone who is interested in Faulkner but find him too intimidating, I would suggest starting with Light in August. It's a wonderful book, one of his very best, and is more accessible that other novels of his. Actually, I would avoid his most famous title, The Sound and the Fury, at first. Its first chapter can be as frustrating as a puzzle with missing pieces, so it's not a great invitation to read his other books. At least that was my case: I read it when I was a teenager and didn't give Faulkner a second chance until more than 10 years later.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:56 AM   #14
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post

Of course but I'd like to see the figures about how many people (in 2013) pass on a free copy that's high in the google search results and buy The Sound and the Fury for $9.99. When you search 'Animal Farm ebook' on Google you have to scroll down to the 10th result before you find one that you pay for.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
...I would suggest starting with Light in August. It's a wonderful book, one of his very best, and is more accessible that other novels of his.
Following your recommendation, I just preordered Light in August .

My first eBook (some 4 years ago) was a freebie from WOWIO, William Faulkner and Southern History by Joel Williamson, which I liked a lot.

If I like his writing as much, I don't mind paying 10 bucks for a book.

Thanks for the heads up.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote