Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 PM   #76
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Darn. Mom never told me about the warm water part.
I learned the hard way through trial and error
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #77
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
I'd love to get my hands on it just out of curiosity, but I think I'd be unlikely to buy. LCD gives me a raging headache, so reading on it for hours? Heck no. I've got a laptop for actual computing needs, and while I'm sure comics will look great on the thing, I'll sacrifice color for eInk.

I can see how it would be appealing for other people -- especially if it integrates the Nook Kids thing well. I'd have loved that when I was young enough for picture books.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #78
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Insider Information about color Nook...

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #79
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
He's does a better job smoking that pipe than he does passing on correct info. He needs to visit the Color's website, a few tech sites, and then start over.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #80
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Anyone else notice the nook is now the NOOK?
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 12:51 AM   #81
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
If it's back lit AND does a "wonderful" job at PDF's (especially those with lots of tables) then count me out. I'll stick with the classic.
It has to pass at least the PDF swimming test. I have volumes in PDF with many tables. Tried converting some of them to epub and the result is disappointing.
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #82
Ken Irving
Writer
Ken Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileReadKen Irving has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Nook "1st Edition" Wireless, Nook4PC, NookStudy, Kindle4PC
I'm impressed with what B&N is trying to do with this. They've identified a market segment that needs color and they've produced a product to serve it, along with associated content ready to go, and they've done a decent job of presenting NookColor as an addition to a whole product line rather than a replacement for the eink Nook. I also notice that all of a sudden "ebook" has been rebranded to nookbook, which I think is also smart. It seems to me that a lot of this has been coming from William Lynch because even though Nook Wifi and NookColor were probably in the pipeline before he came on board as CEO, after which came the price drops, better branding, etc. that make B&N look less like an elephant clinging to its paper books while trying to turn around in a 700-store bathtub, and more like a competitor in a tough market. B&N seems to have developed a coherent strategy that involves more than doing a little bit better here and there than Amazon.

Whether all of this will work or not depends on whether the device works as advertised, of course, so we'll see. As a Nook Wifi owner would I buy the NookColor? If I had lots of extra cash I'd have place my order already, but as a long-time observer of tech and someone with a limited budget for same right now, I'll wait for the shakeout period, save my pennies, and maybe a year from now I'll be ready.

Last edited by Ken Irving; 10-27-2010 at 01:33 AM. Reason: left out some words in the middle of a sentence
Ken Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 AM   #83
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Nice but I'm waiting to see what Mirasol has in store for us. I want an eink reader that will read all DRM as well as all non-DRM titles. But since the won't be happening soon. I may have to buy a Kindle along side my current ereader.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:13 AM   #84
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I like it. It's a an Android tablet, with a nice IPS / capacitive sceen, the size is about right, and it's only $250.

I hated the ipad due to its failures for the price - no HDMI out, no usb, no memory card slot, etc.

Here, it's a device that is half the price, a bit smaller. It still lacks HDMI & traditional usb...but at $250 I'll accept a device that does a bit less and is a bit more portable. The Samsung Galaxy tab is too pricey IMO (and still lacks HDMI out).

The biggest problem is that it doesn't support the standard Google marketplace. But - I'm sure it'll get rooted, or market apps will be installable, somehow.

I'm not going to replace my e-reader. E-ink is so much better for reading books. But for PDFs, websurfing, etc this would be very cool. I could see getting one for $200 or so if the app support materializes.

Lastly, the new Nook kids stuff is pretty sweet. There's a couple of kid e-reader gadgets out - Vtech, etc - they are pricey and the book cartridges are pretty expensive. I'd honestly rather go with something like this at some point. My kids are a little young to be trusted with a gadget like this - but a year or so from now, I can see giving my oldest one.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 10-27-2010 at 03:17 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:16 AM   #85
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I think B&N has been doing a good job in differentiating itself from the competitor. Their nook has been in the market for only 1 year but it has made an impact. A product needs to have unique features to stand out so it is not just me too. The touch of color in the 2nd screen, "lend me" and in store reading experience are very unique features offered by the Nook. B&N was also the first to lower the price and came up with a WiFi model; the other players in the industry follow and react to their trend.

The information from various internet sources revealed that B&N has been working on the Nook Color as well as the Nook Kids for a year and it is their plan all along to tap into this market sector. There are other fish out there than just avid readers. The specification of the display screen of the Nook Color is not your everyday cheap Android tablets such as the Velocity Cruz reader or the Pandigital. It is is on par with the iPad and Samsung Galaxy but at half the price. This is a bold and calculated move from B&N to differentiate the nook from the traditional ereaders and expand their holdings to other sectors of the market. It'll be interesting to see how Amazon will respond especially to the Nook Kids.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:22 AM   #86
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
LCD hurts my eyes. I would prefer mirasol screens.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #87
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It's interesting they went from an eInk device to an LCD device.
No way to read e-books on a LCD when I can read it on an e-ink display. And you almost get a more flexible laptop for a little bit more money.

I'm wondering who really considers to buy that LCD device ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #88
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Would like B&N to succeed in this. The more competition the better. And NookKids looks pretty slick.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
No way to read e-books on a LCD when I can read it on an e-ink display. And you almost get a more flexible laptop for a little bit more money.

I'm wondering who really considers to buy that LCD device ...
A netbook will definitely give you more versatility than any tablet ever could, at an equivalent or much lower price.

This LCD device is for people who want an eReader-sized device to read color content - magazines, newspapers, comics, textbooks, childrens books, etc. While a netbook can easily do this, it's handicapped by its larger size and weight.

Again, the Nook Color is NOT for avid readers who consume mostly novels. It's not meant to replace their eInk readers.

The question is, when do people want to bring color into their reading? Now, via the Nook Color and other tablet PCs? or next year when other alternative technologies start to appear that will combine the advantages of both eInk and LCD into one device?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 AM   #90
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
The Samsung Galaxy tab is too pricey IMO (and still lacks HDMI out)
Galaxy Tab DOES HAVE HDMI via docking station.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote