Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #1
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blue vs. Silver

I've ordered the Blue due to what I believed would be a more pronounced screen and reading experience, but now I'm having a bit of Buyers remorse and am thinking I should have gotten the silver. So I'd like to hear opinions on the two and on the reading experience based on color.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
They're the same electronically. I think I would order a blue one over a silver one, since as you point out there is more contrast between the case and the screen, to help keep the eyes focused on the screen better. But when I held one of the silver ones at my local Borders store a week ago it was fine.

I know I like the dark case of the 500.

So I'd suggest not worrying about buyer's remorse on the case color -- if you hate the blue one, you can send it to me!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Intellectually, I know that they're both made of the same sort of plastic. However, on an emotional level, when I see the blue, I intuitively think "cheap plastic," but when I see the silver, I intuitively think "sturdy metal." As I said, it's an emotional reaction, not an intellectual one, but it's enough to give me an aesthetic preference for the silver one.

But I imagine I'm in the minority on that.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I chose the blue one because I like the color of the case better. No other reason then personal preference.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
sonnyred
sonnyred began at the beginning.

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Intellectually, I know that they're both made of the same sort of plastic. However, on an emotional level, when I see the blue, I intuitively think "cheap plastic," but when I see the silver, I intuitively think "sturdy metal." As I said, it's an emotional reaction, not an intellectual one, but it's enough to give me an aesthetic preference for the silver one.

Are they plastic? I thought they were metal? One of the reasons I'm picking the 505 over the Cybook is that I've had a lot of Sony products and the build quality is always good. I'm not saying the Cybook isn't good quality but I'm going with the experience I've had with the other Sony products I've owned.
sonnyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
They're the same electronically. I think I would order a blue one over a silver one, since as you point out there is more contrast between the case and the screen, to help keep the eyes focused on the screen better. But when I held one of the silver ones at my local Borders store a week ago it was fine.

I know I like the dark case of the 500.

So I'd suggest not worrying about buyer's remorse on the case color -- if you hate the blue one, you can send it to me!
I'm sure it'll be fine, that's were seein gthem in a store really helps. Wish I could've
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post

At the Sonystyle Store I purchased it from, I looked at both the Blue and the Silver, I purchased the Blue Reader. I can confirm that the Reader's body on both versions are made of metal. When you pick it up it is extremely thin, but you can see and feel the quality with the weight and look as you hold it and look at it. There is nothing cheap looking or feeling about it. Once you receive it, the buyers remorse will go away, you will be very satisfied with your purchase. Enjoy!
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Quote:
Are they plastic? I thought they were metal?
Silver and Blue, both are metal, and neither feels cheap in person. Build quality "feels" good. I am not saying that the e-ink screens are durable though.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
I had a blue 500 and now have a silver 505. I see no difference in the focus factor and readability. I prefer the look of the silver.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I've got a Blue & I'm happy with it, although I've not got a Silver to compare it to!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Purely psychological choice to me. I got blue because that silver is the "high tech toy" color, with lots of bad experience having that metallic color rub off, while the dark blue seems more respectible and durable.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I ordered the blue....my fav color
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
ndskyz
ndskyz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/Tungsten T5
I have a silver one. I was lookin at Blue one when my wife surprised me with the Silver. I dont notice the color when reading though. The silver is a nice contrast to all the other dark (black) electronic gadgets I have around. It definitely is made of metal. The Case/cover that comes with it is slightly magnetized and feel it pull to the PRS to keep it the flaps closed.
ndskyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
I have a silver one and my sister bought a blue one. As pointed out above, the blue one has better contrast between the screen and the case. However, I noticed that fingerprints are more noticeable on the built-in cover of the blue one than on that of the silver one. I guess it is because the cover of the blue one has a darker color.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
I have a silver one and my sister bought a blue one. As pointed out above, the blue one has better contrast between the screen and the case. However, I noticed that fingerprints are more noticeable on the built-in cover of the blue one than on that of the silver one. I guess it is because the cover of the blue one has a darker color.
There is more contrast between the screen and the case with the blue. Which is why I got the silver, I prefer the more subtle transition. Different strokes...
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote