Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #121
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Funny how comparisons to pbooks always involve older books, or special collector's editions; nobody talks about the joys of the pulp mmpb--the cracked spine, the curved-back cover that no longer closes flat, the brittle yellowing paper, the tiny text that runs so close to the center margin that you have to break the glue to read it, and then the pages start falling out...

I didn't get into ebooks to replace my letter-sized RPG manuals with the color artwork & detailed charts, nor to replace the hardcover Junior Classics collection I read as a child, nor to replace my signed first edition of The Fifth Sacred Thing. I got into ebooks to replace my dog-eared, torn-corner copies of Spider Robinson's Callahan's series, so I could re-read them at will without worrying about getting crumbs or coffee stains on the pages. To replace the second- and third-hand copies of cheap trashy romance novels I buy at yard sales for fifty cents. To replace the science fiction paperbacks that I used to put clear tape over the edges of the covers so they'd survive multiple readings. To get the classics--Alice in Wonderland, works of Shakespeare, Kipling--in a format my kids could read, highlight, and print out the sections with the poems they like to put in their rooms.

I started reading ebooks to replace throwaway paper editions, not collectibles. To replace the kind of paperbacks that, when my husband was living on the road, he tore out pages of after he'd read them so he wouldn't have to carry as much.
I'm on board with Elfwreck. Although I would love a pdf reader that could handle Pathfinder RPG books...my TX2 convertible tablet works. but it runs hot, and the battery life isn't so great at about 3 hours.

I still buy hardcover books of my favorites. Basically, I'd love to convert well-liked paperbacks over to ebooks - books I like a lot but not so much to own a nice hardcover of.

I also wouldn't mind a $1-$2 e-book rental of some sort. So far I can't replace 1-time reads with $8 ebooks. I'm doing ebay instead for those. At least I can give it away or trade it in to my local used book store if I don't like it.

Generally I can find a used 1st edition hardcover shipped to my door for less than the ebook price. It's kind of absurd.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #122
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'm on board with Elfwreck. Although I would love a pdf reader that could handle Pathfinder RPG books...my TX2 convertible tablet works. but it runs hot, and the battery life isn't so great at about 3 hours.

I still buy hardcover books of my favorites. Basically, I'd love to convert well-liked paperbacks over to ebooks - books I like a lot but not so much to own a nice hardcover of.

I also wouldn't mind a $1-$2 e-book rental of some sort. So far I can't replace 1-time reads with $8 ebooks. I'm doing ebay instead for those. At least I can give it away or trade it in to my local used book store if I don't like it.

Generally I can find a used 1st edition hardcover shipped to my door for less than the ebook price. It's kind of absurd.
It's beyond absurd. And, until ebooks are available DRM free at a reasonable price (same profit margin as p-books), I'll keep buying, chopping, and scanning p-books.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote