Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2009, 04:37 AM   #106
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
[QUOTE=Elsi;634613]I am curious about a couple of things:

1 - my PC/laptop/netbook doesn't have 3G connectivity, so I'm going to assume that the "Whispersync" mentioned in the announcement will work over normal Internet connection
QUOTE]

This is a good point, it make me think that Amzon are only allowing people to view ebooks via the web?

All the other provides that give you ebooks on the PC are using their own file types, will Amzon go this way too?

So many questions, (when the software out?)

Time to wait a see ......
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #107
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
If this means we can buy books at Amazon's price level and then strip the DRM, I'm all for it.
This was exactly my thought on hearing the news.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #108
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I'll posit that it's only mainstream if a significant number of people do it.

Yes, Microsoft Reader has been around for almost ten years. But who actually uses it to read ebooks? The main reason most folks I know of get ebooks in MS Reader format is because it's dead easy to strip the DRM and put them into the format they want to read them in.

A lot of folks simply aren't comfortable reading extensively on a PC screen. One reason dedicated readers are popular is the eInk screen.
The last time I've checked, "Microsoft" was not a humanitarian organization. If their Reader is still alive after almost a decade, they surely made some money out of it.

I don't know how many people are still using it, but I am guessing that for all MS OSes (and it is not only Windows, but Windows Mobile and WinCE, as well) it is still a very viable option. That application was the best reader available for my late WebDT375, nothing could even touch their ClearType clarity, clean interface and feature set. And I do Linux for living, so no Microsoft bias on this side. But I do wish there was a version of MS reader for my Sony 505.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #109
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
The last time I've checked, "Microsoft" was not a humanitarian organization. If their Reader is still alive after almost a decade, they surely made some money out of it.
Since they never charged for it, it's hard to see how.

Some of what Microsoft is more indirect, and not a direct money maker. MS Reader, for example, was among other things an outgrowth of display technology and typography research, which got incorporated in other MS products.

Quote:
I don't know how many people are still using it, but I am guessing that for all MS OSes (and it is not only Windows, but Windows Mobile and WinCE, as well) it is still a very viable option. That application was the best reader available for my late WebDT375, nothing could even touch their ClearType clarity, clean interface and feature set. And I do Linux for living, so no Microsoft bias on this side. But I do wish there was a version of MS reader for my Sony 505.
Clear Type was the win for MS here. Viable option? Well, in the sense that it's available, and books are available in .LIT format, yes. But I strongly suspect the actual number fo folks using it is a small fraction od the total number of ebook readers.

And I didn't assume you had an MS bias. I just assume very few folks actually use MS Reader to read ebooks these days.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #110
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
They never charged the end user for the reader. But, remember you have to activate your reader to MS Passport, er Live ID. I assume the vendors that can create/encrypt .LIT files have to pay some licensing fee to Microsoft.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #111
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
They never charged the end user for the reader. But, remember you have to activate your reader to MS Passport, er Live ID. I assume the vendors that can create/encrypt .LIT files have to pay some licensing fee to Microsoft.
Possible. I don't really know. But I suspect the revenue involved will be trivial in overall terms for MS.

My fundamental point is that I don't believe MS Reader and the LIT format ever gained much traction as an end user solution for reading ebooks. Who actually uses MS Reader these days to read ebooks? Who buys books in LIT format, for any reason save that it's easy to strip the DRM and convert to a preferred format?

I don't know anyone...
______
Dennis
Old 10-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #112
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
They never charged the end user for the reader. But, remember you have to activate your reader to MS Passport, er Live ID.
Only if you want to read DRM'ed books.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #113
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:

Some of what Microsoft is more indirect, and not a direct money maker. MS Reader, for example, was among other things an outgrowth of display technology and typography research, which got incorporated in other MS products.

Clear Type was the win for MS here. Viable option? Well, in the sense that it's available, and books are available in .LIT format, yes. But I strongly suspect the actual number fo folks using it is a small fraction od the total number of ebook readers.

And I didn't assume you had an MS bias. I just assume very few folks actually use MS Reader to read ebooks these days.
______
Dennis
Actually, I use it all the time, when I read on my PC...guess I'm in the very few
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #114
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Actually, I use it all the time, when I read on my PC...guess I'm in the very few
The few, the proud, the .... oh wait....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #115
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The few, the proud, the .... oh wait....
...oddballs? *grin*.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #116
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Possible. I don't really know. But I suspect the revenue involved will be trivial in overall terms for MS.
My fundamental point is that I don't believe MS Reader and the LIT format ever gained much traction as an end user solution for reading ebooks. Who actually uses MS Reader these days to read ebooks? Who buys books in LIT format, for any reason save that it's easy to strip the DRM and convert to a preferred format?
I don't know anyone...
______
Dennis
I do. I use it for TTS, annotaiting text, highlighting text, and bookmarks.

And on top of that it is easy to convert to any format.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #117
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I do. I use it for TTS, annotaiting text, highlighting text, and bookmarks.
Okay, I sit corrected. I've seen two folks thus far chime in to say they use it.

Quote:
And on top of that it is easy to convert to any format.
And that's the main reason I know that most folks grab LIT files by preference: easy to strip DRM and convert to something else as desired.
______
Dennis
Old 10-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #118
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Possibly, but I'm curious. How often do read on the PC, as opposed to your Astak or Curve? And are there particular things you are more likely to read on one device than another?

(In my case, for instance, my primary reader is a PDA. I can read PDFs on it, but it's not a generally happy experience, so I normally read those on the PC, if there is something only available in PDF format. Those are usually computer tech stuff read while working on the machine in any case.)
______
Dennis
Old 10-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #119
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Possibly, but I'm curious. How often do read on the PC, as opposed to your Astak or Curve? And are there particular things you are more likely to read on one device than another?

(In my case, for instance, my primary reader is a PDA. I can read PDFs on it, but it's not a generally happy experience, so I normally read those on the PC, if there is something only available in PDF format. Those are usually computer tech stuff read while working on the machine in any case.)
______
Dennis
It depends on what's going on in my life at the time. I seldom read on the Curve, that gets used for breaks at work, mainly. The Astak is my main reader, on the couch and in bed. But, on days when I know I've got lots of stuff to do on the computer, MS Reader gets opened, and usually stays opened for when I take breaks from whatever it is I'm doing on the computer. (Usually schoolwork or sometimes I read while IM'ing with friends, multitasking.) I have one friend I chat with who reads the same type of thing I do, and we've done "internet read-ins" where we're reading the same book at the same time and discussing it via IM client. I use MS Reader for that, nearly exclusively. I am one of these strange people who can't eat unless I have something to read, and most of the time when I eat alone it's in front of the computer, so MS Reader gets used then, too.
When/if I get the Archos 9 after the first of the year, MS Reader will be used a LOT on it.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #120
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Nice idea, but I'd much rather have Kindle for Mac. At least then I could more easily read at work during the slow times.
According to this article Amazon is working on a Mac version.

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chri...le-become-open
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote