Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Melissa
Melissa began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Red face Looking for fantasy/SF books with an underlying romance (no Mills & Boon stuff!)

I wouldn't say I was a hardcore fantasy/SF reader, but I did love the Harry Potter series, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series, Rangers Apprentice series and just finished Twilight.

I'm after books that engage the imagination and have an underlying love story in some shape or form. I don't like cheesy/soppy romances where it turns into Mills and Boon stuff.

I didn't mind the Twilight romance, although I found Bella to be a damsel in distress 99.9% of the time (don't like weak female characters). I'm not going to read the rest of the series because I'm not into the Vampire thing.

I got recommended Magician's Guild (Black Magician series) by Trudy Canavan which I've started reading and it's great so far!

Any more recommendations? (Bonus if there are some humour as well)

Thanks
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I wouldnt call it romance, but alot of Joe Haldemans novels have sappy "get the girl in the end" endings which i like. alot of Heinliens later works deal with free love.

Both authors are very funny to read, and i plough through their novels whenever i pick them up.

are the haldeman books ive read, all of them have that kind of attitude, all of them i finished within 48 hours of picking it up.
http://www.librarything.com/catalog....earch=haldeman
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You might enjoy Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'1984' George Orwell
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
Margrete
Connoisseur
Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.Margrete is less competitive than you.

Device: pixelar ebookreader (Hanlin V3)
I'd recommend Traci Harding's Ancient Furture trilogy which continues with the Celestial Triad trilogy (only the first trilogy is available in ebooks )

It starts with the book the Ancient Future:
Quote:
Late one evening, en route to visit a relative, an accident leaves Tory – the attractive, twenty-something daughter of a prominent history professor – stranded near a ring of stones in Britain. Tory resolves to spend the night at the stone circle and seek help in the morning . . .But across the vortex of time and space, she is taken back to the Dark Age. There she meets Prince Maelgwn of Gwynedd and his band of warriors. Initially her 'strange' appearance frightens them and they believe she is the notorious witch fabled to frequent the site. But she overcomes their fear and soon the tales of her adventures, brave deeds and beauty spread across the land.
Awesome series in my opinion. It has humour, abit of romance, swordfights.

Another series is Michelle Sagara's Chronicles of Elantra. Sofar there is 4 books published with book 5 coming sometime this year. It starts with Cast in Shadow:
Quote:
Seven years ago Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered--and all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin." Since then, she's learned to read, she's learned to fight and she's become one of the vaunted Hawks who patrol and police the City of Elantra. Alongside the winged Aerians and the immortal Barrani, she's made a place for herself, far from the mean streets of her birth. But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging. Kaylin is ordered back into Nightshade with a partner she knows she can't trust, a Dragon lord for a companion and a device to contain her powers--powers that no other human has. Her task is simple--find the killer, stop the murders--and survive the attentions of those who claim to be her allies!
Margrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
All of Lois McMaster Bujold's books.

Start with Cordelia's Honor (Vorkosigan series) $5

Or with Beguilement (The Sharing Knife series) under $8

Also Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's books.

Try Local Custom (Liaden Universe) $5

Lastly, Sarah Hoyt's
Draw One in the Dark $6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
II'm after books that engage the imagination and have an underlying love story in some shape or form. I don't like cheesy/soppy romances where it turns into Mills and Boon stuff.

Thanks
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
I'm after books that engage the imagination and have an underlying love story in some shape or form. I don't like cheesy/soppy romances where it turns into Mills and Boon stuff.

Thanks
Well... you have "Old man's war" series by John Scalzi. There is an underlying love story and you've got lot of humour, specially in the first book.

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Wen Spencer's Tinker.
Many of the Keith Laumer's stories, I recommend collections Odyssey ("serious") and The Lighter Side ("funny").
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Check out Catherine Asaro's stuff.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Then again, might not. I've read the first book in the series and found it dreadful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The In Death series by J.D. Robb are pretty good futuristic mysteries and there is some romance in there as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The In Death series by J.D. Robb are pretty good futuristic mysteries and there is some romance in there as well.
It was the romance elements that put me off.

Reminded me a bit of Anne Perry's 'William Monk' books - but I enjoyed Perry's stories more (although they're not SF).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I loved the Trudi Canavan series. You should also check out her other series, The Age of the Five.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
OK, I'm going to say it...

Wizard's First Rule by Goodkind.

Although, I think it can only be found in ebook form on Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree 100% . I really enjoyed Diana Gabaldon's 'Outlander' series. Historical Fiction slash Sci/Fi slash Medical slash Romance.

I mostly read fantasy and hate Mills & Boon soppy stuff, (although I thought I was in heaven when I found a hidden box of them in the attic at the age of 12 and secretly read the LOT).
George RR Martin's 'Ice and Fire' series, Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' Tad Williams 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' and of course OUTLANDER, are my all time favorite books. I'm busy with the Wheel of Time and enjoying it immensely so far...
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote