Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
anniep
anniep began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Kindle web access question

I have been trying to decide between the Kindle and Sony. The Kindle has just about won me over. I have a quesiton about web access from the Kindle.

I subscribe to several financial newsletters. To get the updates, I log on to the web site and access their newsletters/alerts/updates. Could I do that from the Kindle? That would be fantastic and definitely the tie-breaker for me.

Also does this web access cost me anything? Does it work kind of like the iphone access that I have with AT&T?

Thank you
anniep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
web access does not cost anything, sending items as PDFs costs, minnimally. I am not sure about these newsletters, I know there are some blogs that can be subscribed to, check out the Kindle subscription page at Amazon, that might help answer your question. additionally, your Kindle can have an email address and some items can be sent to it.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The Internet is free, but it's pretty slow, so using it for regular web access may be too annoying for you.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The browser is quite primitive, too, so if the site is not designed for mobile devices, it may not work. Also, if the newsletters are set up to be downloadable pdf files, that will not work, either.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
kindlemap.net
kindlemap.net began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
From my experience most websites look dreadful.

Many websites have a mobile version but the website doesn't sense the Kindle device type and returns their full screen page. The Kindle tries to compress the page to fit into the screen but in doing so it really messes up the page and for the most part the site becomes unusable.

When browsing a site formatted for mobile devices it is much better and is quite useable.

As far as I know the Kindle is the only major eReader that has a browser.
kindlemap.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
So in the new Kindle International Wireless version, they have not disabled the freedom to browse websites? I thought they had and now it was only limited to wikipedia?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote