Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Handwriting on screen, anyone?

I am just wondering – is this something that people do?

Several of the current ebook readers has this as a feature. And there are also many tablet pcs out there where handwriting on screen is a possibility. But is this something that people use?

And if it is used can it actually replace paper?
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
elandar23
elandar23 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I have a Tablet-PC (ThinkPad X41). I bought it, because the idea of writing on a digital display instead of paper was compelling to me. (easy deleting, no paper mess)

Let me tell you - writing on a Tablet-PC sucks!
You have a much worse feeling, what you are doing, than on paper.
(this is of course my subjective opinion - but I'm usually not very picky... - if it were at least as half as usable as I hoped it would be, I wouldn't write this)

And just you know - reading an e-book for a longer time on it, makes your eyes hurt...

But it's a good question, I'm also wondering, if writing on a eReader is something, that owners do.
elandar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 04:28 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I usually use it on my Iliad to write down quotes from the book I'm currently reading. For me, it's not...well, it's not the same as pen-and-paper. I do like pen-and-paper.

Have you looked at something like the Lightscribe Pulse Smartpen system? It looks like the best of both worlds, and I know there are some people here (professionals even) who swear by it. I've considered it myself, but I like writing in my Moleskine, and the Smartpen requires special paper (note, Livescribe are enabling, if they haven't done so already, the printing of your own paper with an ordinary printer - that could trip me into the buy-zone).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My handwriting is just awful - I can't do "joined up" writing; I basically write each letter separate. I far, far prefer to use a keyboard personally, even if it's only a "soft" keyboard on the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
My ebook reader (REB 1200) allows annotations to be made on the screen via handwritten notes/scribblings or yellow highlighting of letters/words/paragraphs. See image below.

I find my handwriting is horrible on it; and can rarely write anything legible (even to me). The problem I have is that your fist cannot touch the LCD touchscreen while writing on it and that means my handwriting style is "handicapped" and it shows in the final product.

It is great, though, for "marking up" (editing) purposes or underlining/highlighting purposes.

Given it's limitations, I still appreciate that my reader HAS that capaibility, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.gif
Views:	384
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	18448  
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post
I am just wondering – is this something that people do?

Several of the current ebook readers has this as a feature. And there are also many tablet pcs out there where handwriting on screen is a possibility. But is this something that people use?

And if it is used can it actually replace paper?
I think it's a matter of preference.

There is an associate of mine two actually that buy tablet PC specifically for this capability. They swear by it and relish the fact that their text note are instantly archived on the PC.

I do use this feature extensively on my smart phone even over the qwerty keyboard. I find I have to use the letter recognizer else I cannot read my handwriting later.

However I will always take a keyboard over hand writing any day. I can type far faster than I can write.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
I have gotten good enough with my iLiad that I can write readable notes. I can't write as small as I can with paper, but space is cheap in an electronic file.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
I was thinking of buying an Dell Latitude XT tablet for taking notes in meetings etc, but as far as I understand from the feedback in this thread handwriting on dream is not something one can actually use for other than simple markups.

thx everyone
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I did grocery lists on my EB-1150. Add a blank page to the front of whatever book you choose, then use it to scribble notes. It's not the best way to do things. A scrap of paper worked much better for shopping lists. I did it just to see how it would work out more than anything else. (It really didn't)

Also, I never worried about anyone "lifting" a paper grocery list if I laid it in the shopping basket.

Plues, it's sort of awkward to hold and wrestle 48-roll packs of TP.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I usually use it on my Iliad to write down quotes from the book I'm currently reading. For me, it's not...well, it's not the same as pen-and-paper. I do like pen-and-paper.

Have you looked at something like the Lightscribe Pulse Smartpen system? It looks like the best of both worlds, and I know there are some people here (professionals even) who swear by it. I've considered it myself, but I like writing in my Moleskine, and the Smartpen requires special paper (note, Livescribe are enabling, if they haven't done so already, the printing of your own paper with an ordinary printer - that could trip me into the buy-zone).

Cheers,
Marc
The Livescribe is a neat tool/toy. I really wish I had had one in college but then I wish I had had a PC in college. Unfortunately that was back in the slide ruler days before even scientific hand held calculators.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote