Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Also, the buttons on the 505 are sturdy as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I got the blue because it's my favorite color and I wish I had gotten the silver because the pictures of it look cooler. Oh well. If I had gotten the silver I probably would have wanted the blue.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #18
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
paint it with nail polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
I got the blue because it's my favorite color and I wish I had gotten the silver because the pictures of it look cooler. Oh well. If I had gotten the silver I probably would have wanted the blue.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #19
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
I got the blue; for a few days while I was waiting for it to be delivered, I thought I wanted the silver. I had a chance to go to the SonyStyle store to see the silver in person; I concluded that I made the right choice; the blue was the one for me!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #20
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
If I had an opportunity to have a look at both, I would do it because I am very curious how silver looks like. However, I could not do it, so I choose a safer option - blue one, because I believe it should make a better contrast with a screen.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
kenflyken
kenflyken began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Irex Iliad
I feel that silver looks cheap and plastic-ky...it somehow reminds me of fake Chinese copies of toasters...don't know how that came to mind.

Anyways, I fully support your selection of blue; it provides better screen/case contrast anyways. The only downside I see is the scratches will be more clear on the blue version.
kenflyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #22
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenflyken View Post
I feel that silver looks cheap and plastic-ky...it somehow reminds me of fake Chinese copies of toasters...don't know how that came to mind.

Anyways, I fully support your selection of blue; it provides better screen/case contrast anyways. The only downside I see is the scratches will be more clear on the blue version.

Well the concensus seems to be Blue, guess I'll know for sure Tuesday when I get it, of course we're due for a Snowstorm here monday, could hold it up...
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #23
JohnsnowNW
JohnsnowNW began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Seems like you've gotten plenty of replies to this, but I'll put in my two cents worth. I debated on which colour to get for about a month, I finally chose blue without actually seeing it in person. I cannot compare the reading experience to the silver, as I've only looked at it "in store," however, I can say that the blue 505 completely disappears. I think the contrast of the white screen with a dark blue border aids in this. When I'm reading I get caught up in the story, which is why we read books anyway. Some people find that the dark blue looks purple in certain lighting situations, but I either haven't noticed it, or I'm just not as picky.

Anyway, I think you've made the right choice, and you'll know soon enough anyway. I hope you enjoy it, I certainly can't seem to put mine down!
JohnsnowNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 AM   #24
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
The silver one looks pretty damn slick. Never seen a bluey, but I'd suggest that such meditations on the aesthetics of the of the device, when expanded beyond the differences in functionality and usability, run contrary to the spirit of unhindered intellectualism that should currently, by my watch, be filling the souls of all the happy children who got PRS-505s for Christmas.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:16 AM   #25
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
The silver one looks pretty damn slick. Never seen a bluey, but I'd suggest that such meditations on the aesthetics of the of the device, when expanded beyond the differences in functionality and usability, run contrary to the spirit of unhindered intellectualism that should currently, by my watch, be filling the souls of all the happy children who got PRS-505s for Christmas.
Do you write for politicians for a living? Your replies are as clear as mud.
"Unhindered intellectualism?" What if people aren't reading particularly intellectually stimulating books, but rather are simply reading for entertainment?

In an event, there aren't any "differences in functionality and usability" between the two colors of the PRS-505, and I would also posit that "meditations on the aesthetics" is very much in keeping with a spirit of "unhindered intellectualism" (if indeed the Sony Reader engenders such a thing) and not contrary to it.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What spooky69 is trying to say is that he likes the silver, has not seen a blue, and feels this discussion is worthless as everyone should just be happy with the functionality of their 505 regardless of what color it is.

I'm starting to see a trend here. That trend being that spooky69 needs to keep taking his meds and stop skipping days here and there.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #27
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm starting to see a trend here. That trend being that spooky69 needs to keep taking his meds and stop skipping days here and there.
Yeah, I have noticed the trend as well. I have decided to ignore him completely
Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #28
Nytngale
Enthusiast
Nytngale began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Treo 700, Verizon Voyager
I purchased the Blue one based totally on aesthetics. It looks great with the pink leather cover - such a girly thing I know! I just got my 505 and am delighted with it. The color is really a non-issue as the reader disappears when you're engrossed in a great book!
Nytngale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #29
astra
The Introvert

Where did you buy a pink leather cover for 505?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #30
Nytngale
Enthusiast
Nytngale began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Treo 700, Verizon Voyager
I purchased my pink leather cover at Abt Electronics.
Nytngale is offline   Reply With Quote